PDA

View Full Version : Should Belkar keep the new look?

Brookshw
2018-06-19, 09:59 AM
Gotta say, I'm loving Belkar's new stone cold sun glasses look. So stylish! Hope he keeps em.

Marcotix
2018-06-19, 10:02 AM
Agreed. 10char

brian 333
2018-06-19, 10:19 AM
The new look is awesome, I agree.

However, as a true hipster, Belkar rightly disdains the use of hipster glasses which have now gone mainstream. Even the foxes who work for Faux News wear them now, which makes them officially passe.

D.One
2018-06-19, 12:53 PM
The new look is awesome, I agree.

However, as a true hipster, Belkar rightly disdains the use of hipster glasses which have now gone mainstream. Even the foxes who work for Faux News wear them now, which makes them officially passe.

Maybe, although Belkar might think killing all the others who copied his new badass look a valid choise.

dtilque
2018-06-19, 12:58 PM
So, a Horatio Caine impression? Or stick with the Terminator shtick?

brian 333
2018-06-19, 01:44 PM
Well, to do a true Horatio, Belkar will need a sunrise sceen behind him. On the other hand, Terminators

1 Suck
2 Are bad
3 Have hygene issues
4 Are totally overdone
5 Are obsolete
6 F*** you *******

The Pilgrim
2018-06-19, 01:45 PM
As cool as he looks, that style doesn't fits with a fantasy medieval setting.

Synesthesy
2018-06-19, 02:32 PM
I want to see Belkar with sunglasses entering an arena full of people on a tank playing an electric guitar.

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-19, 02:44 PM
As cool as he looks, that style doesn't fits with a fantasy medieval setting. Which is part of why I like it so much. :smallcool:

D.One
2018-06-19, 02:52 PM
I want to see Belkar with sunglasses entering an arena full of people on a tank playing an electric guitar.

I'd replace the tank for being mounted on a "not-polymorphed-anymore" Bloodfeast, the Extreme-inator.

Synesthesy
2018-06-19, 03:12 PM
I'd replace the tank for being mounted on a "not-polymorphed-anymore" Bloodfeast, the Extreme-inator.

:smallcool:

Fincher
2018-06-19, 04:20 PM
If he wears the sunglasses while riding Bloodfeast, Bloodfeast also needs to be wearing sunglasses.

dtilque
2018-06-19, 08:46 PM
If he wears the sunglasses while riding Bloodfeast, Bloodfeast also needs to be wearing sunglasses.

That'd mean they're on a mission from Glod.

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-19, 10:31 PM
That'd mean they're on a mission from Glod. If Matt "Guitar" Murphy shows up (of course he's a very high level bard) then it's game on!

Rogar Demonblud
2018-06-19, 11:31 PM
Matt would have to bring Duck Dunn along.

Jaxzan Proditor
2018-06-20, 11:42 AM
If Blackwing is willing to give away his novelty sunglasses, then absolutely.

Brookshw
2018-06-20, 11:48 AM

So more posing for heavy metal album covers?

Synesthesy
2018-06-20, 12:27 PM

Belkar is born to rock

D.One
2018-06-20, 01:03 PM
Belkar is born to rock

He's both Ranger and Barbarian. He's a true nature's child...

martianmister
2018-06-21, 07:42 AM
Wearing sunglasses in the dark halls of the dwarven kings of old? Could this be Belkar's undoing and his ultimate cause of death? :smalleek:

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-21, 10:24 AM
Wearing sunglasses in the dark halls of the dwarven kings of old? Could this be Belkar's undoing and his ultimate cause of death? :smalleek:
The choice is up to him
'cos they come in two classes
Rhinestone shades
And cheap sunglasses (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97bMX7KV8d4)!
Oh Yeah!

Fyraltari
2018-06-21, 11:36 AM
He shouldn't. We can't see him emote with them, that's not good for his character development.

Morquard
2018-06-22, 03:26 PM
Has nobody realised yet that these sunglasses must be magic?

Think about it, in D&D the only items magically resizing themselves to fit the wearer are magic items. And sunglasses that just fit Blackwing now fit Belkar?

So, lets speculate: What other properties do the glasses have?

Zombra
2018-06-22, 04:41 PM
No. Anachronism in one-shot jokes is bad enough.

Fyraltari
2018-06-22, 04:56 PM

Anachronism? Sunglasses where invented in 1045 more than 100 years before the setting of the comic.

Interestingly, they were invented only ten years before coffee machines (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0081.html) and 1,000 years after zeppelins (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html).

There is however one anachronism, early on when Roy asks for a longspear (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html) that will only be invented 3 years later but I think we can forgive one little mistake like this, even in a hyperrealistic historical fiction like this one.

Synesthesy
2018-06-23, 04:49 PM

Yes, in Middle Age there is nothing like that...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/smilies/oots/miko.gif what is this middle age you are speaking of? I have never heard of it...

brian 333
2018-06-23, 10:27 PM
Too bad they weren't Aviators. Wouldn't the vampires be repelled by them like mirrors?

D.One
2018-06-25, 07:26 AM
Come to think of it, Belkar should keep the glasses until they fight Xykon. They make him look Badass as Hel, and we know the lich has a soft spot for badass itens. The Order can then exploit the distraction when Xykon comes to obliterate Belkar for the glasses.

Brookshw
2018-06-25, 08:17 AM
Too bad they weren't Aviators. Wouldn't the vampires be repelled by them like mirrors?

Pretty sure it's that you can't see a vamos reflection in a mirror, nothing to do with repelling...

Actually, if they were mirror sunglasses, could you see a vamp through them.....?:smalleek:

D.One
2018-06-25, 09:28 AM
Sunglasses should hurt vampires... :smallbiggrin:

brian 333
2018-06-25, 09:33 AM
Pretty sure it's that you can't see a vamos reflection in a mirror, nothing to do with repelling...

Actually, if they were mirror sunglasses, could you see a vamp through them.....?:smalleek:

Vampires are repelled by mirrors and cannot attack anyone who boldly presents one. I admit it had not occurred to me that one looking through the mirror might not see the vampire. But there can be no doubt that if Belkar wore Aviators he would present them boldly!

And now it's confession time: in over forty years of gaming, I never once before now thought of Aviators as useful items for an undead hunter to have. Or any other character. There are hundreds of gaze attacks, and when I consider how many savings throws I've failed against them...

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-25, 04:21 PM
Come to think of it, Belkar should keep the glasses until they fight Xykon. They make him look Badass as Hel, and we know the lich has a soft spot for badass itens. The Order can then exploit the distraction when Xykon comes to obliterate Belkar for the glasses. Which fits Xykon's deal with the crown, and fits the prophecy.

D.One
2018-06-25, 04:31 PM
Which fits Xykon's deal with the crown, and fits the prophecy.

Hel Yes :smallcool:

Fyraltari
2018-06-25, 04:44 PM
Vampires are repelled by mirrors and cannot attack anyone who boldly presents one. I admit it had not occurred to me that one looking through the mirror might not see the vampire. But there can be no doubt that if Belkar wore Aviators he would present them boldly!

And now it's confession time: in over forty years of gaming, I never once before now thought of Aviators as useful items for an undead hunter to have. Or any other character. There are hundreds of gaze attacks, and when I consider how many savings throws I've failed against them...

Not sure if it's worth the perception penalty of wearing sunglasses when fighting creatures of the night.

Dutch
2018-06-26, 01:31 AM

Belkar on top of a mountain of dead goblins with the sunglasses and a guitar would make for a great heavy metal album cover.

Title of the album - Shoeless Sexy God of War

D.One
2018-06-26, 11:11 AM
Not sure if it's worth the perception penalty of wearing sunglasses when fighting creatures of the night.

Unless the character is blind and uses the sunglasses (that wouldn't otherwise prevent the gaze attack) to pretend he's not blind and thus draw Domination "attacks" from the vampires without them knowing it won't work.

skim172
2018-06-26, 01:19 PM
You know, considering how often he is face to face with powerful magic exploding around him, with all sorts of arcane energies and unknown types of radiation, wearing proper eye protection may actually be quite beneficial to his vision and health in the long-term.

Delta
2018-06-26, 01:22 PM
Belkar on top of a mountain of dead goblins with the sunglasses and a guitar would make for a great heavy metal album cover.

Title of the album - Shoeless Sexy God of War

If I had a band, I would've asked Rich for permission to do that ages ago.

D.One
2018-06-27, 08:52 AM
If I had a band, I would've asked Rich for permission to do that ages ago.

Disk 1:

1 - Dungeon Crawling Fools
2 - Brother's Duel
3 - Lord Xykon
4 - Starmetal Sword
5 - Paladin Blues
6 - The Snarl
7 - Oracle's Prophecies
8 - Carnage in Cliffport
9 - The Fall of Azure City
10 - Throne Roon
11 - Farewell, Buddy Roy
12 - Splitting the Party
Bonus Track - Redemption is for Few

Delta
2018-06-27, 09:31 AM
12 - Splitting the Party

Actually, a friend of mine once did a filk version of Blind Guardian's "Don't Split The Circle" called "Don't Split The Party", but I think that was years before Rich ever published any books.

brian 333
2018-06-27, 09:46 AM
Where can I buy the album?

Has anyone considered the magical properties of dark shades?

My guess:
+5 Charisma
Intimidate as a free action every round.
Interrupt Action - by sliding the glasses down and gazing over the top, wearers of these glasses may interrupt any action the target of the gaze is performing. Spells fizzle, skill-checks fail, and attack routines halt. If the recipient of this effect is also wearing dark shades, a Hipster Battle may ensue.

Hipster Battles occur when two prominently bespectacled characters use their gaze on each other. The battle consists of dismissive and derisive gestures, pithy quips, and long-suffering sighs. The battle is apparently won when one affects a greater degree of boredom than the other.

Delta
2018-06-27, 02:42 PM
Where can I buy the album?

Some musicians on the forum should get together to form "The Band of the Stick" and record it!

Or maybe "Order of the Drumstick" (and have a 5 minute drum solo on every song)

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-27, 04:10 PM
Some musicians on the forum should get together to form "The Band of the Stick" and record it!

Or maybe "Order of the Drumstick" (and have a 5 minute drum solo on every song) Sadly, the obligatory drum solo killed its own appeal during the 70's and 80's. So let's not and say we did. :smallcool:

Elenna
2018-06-27, 09:24 PM
Has nobody realised yet that these sunglasses must be magic?

Think about it, in D&D the only items magically resizing themselves to fit the wearer are magic items. And sunglasses that just fit Blackwing now fit Belkar?

So, lets speculate: What other properties do the glasses have?

They have the magic of Rule of Funny. Tis a great and powerful enchantment. :smallcool:

timpage
2018-06-28, 01:32 AM
Hello

During the New Year celebration, the drunken halfling kissed Vaarsuvius.

Jannoire
2018-06-28, 03:54 AM
Blind Guardian's "Don't Split The Circle".

As a big fan of both Blind Guardian and The Order Of The Stick and a notorious nitpick, I feel obliged to say that the song is actually called "Don't Break the circle"....

Back to the discussion on our most beloved, now even cooler sociopath...

D.One
2018-06-28, 07:39 AM
Disk 2:

1 - Heaven's Gates
2 - Eugenic
3 - The Grand Fighter
4 - Little Brother
5 - Amid the Sea
6 - Therkla's Fate
7 - The Deal of Vaarsuvius, the Mage
8 - Familicide
9 - The Resistance
10 - Celia's Tears
11 - Mark of Justice
12 - Rogues' City
13 - Belkar's Resolve
14 - Arcane Rage
15 - A Good Man
Bonus Track - The Mystery of the World Within

Larcen26
2018-06-28, 11:03 AM
But like....seriously...

The shades worked right?

He's just pretending they didn't by stabbing a bird that can be resurrected and then a cleric who 1. he doesn't care about and 2. can cure themselves.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-06-28, 11:25 AM
The shades will have absolutely no effect on the Domination. It's maintained telepathically, not visually.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-06-28, 11:32 AM
The shades will have absolutely no effect on the Domination. It's maintained telepathically, not visually.

They might protect Belkar from future domination attempts if he breaks out of the current one (by, say, being forced to attack his cat).

GW

D.One
2018-06-28, 12:29 PM
They might protect Belkar from future domination attempts if he breaks out of the current one (by, say, being forced to attack his cat).

GW

A GM might consider wearing shades as being similar to averting eyes, giving thus a 50% chance of avoiding the necessity of making a saving throw and granting concealment to the vampire.

skim172
2018-06-29, 09:06 AM

It may not have worked now - but if he does break Domination later, the shades would prevent the vampires from realizing his eyes were no longer swirly.

I would imagine the only thing that might break it is if Ms. Vampire with the Gloves tells him to do something unhealthy to Mr. Scruffy.

brian 333
2018-06-29, 10:39 AM
It may not have worked now - but if he does break Domination later, the shades would prevent the vampires from realizing his eyes were no longer swirly.

I would imagine the only thing that might break it is if Ms. Vampire with the Gloves tells him to do something unhealthy to Mr. Scruffy.

I've been betting Mr. Scruffy realizes something's wrong and forces the issue by attacking either Belkar or Ponchula.

D.One
2018-06-29, 11:19 AM
I've been betting Mr. Scruffy realizes something's wrong and forces the issue by attacking either Belkar or Ponchula.

It's time for this speech (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0869.html) to pay off. :smallcool:

NAdamV423
2018-06-29, 11:49 AM
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but my mind suddenly imagined Belkar going to fight a gigantic tank manned with gods know how many people - and all of them are also operating a gigantic electric guitar.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-06-29, 12:03 PM
That would make for an awesome Eurovision finale.

D.One
2018-06-29, 12:09 PM
Disk 3:

1 - Sailing West
2 - Desert Raiders
3 - Fatherland
4 - Flaming Letters
5 - In the Arena
6 - Facing Thog
7 - The Return of the Linear Guild
8 - Atonement (The Ballad of the Lonely Wizard)
9 - Draketooth's Demise
10 - Down Below
11 - Belkar & Durkon
12 - Blooddrinkers
13 - Happy Ending
14 - Fourth Gate Down
15 - Bloodfeast
16 - My Two Dads
17 - Caster Fight
18 - Tarquin's Defeat
Bonus Track - Servant of Hel

brian 333
2018-06-29, 12:16 PM
Disk 3:

1 - Sailing West
2 - Desert Raiders
3 - Fatherland
4 - Flaming Letters
5 - In the Arena
6 - Facing Thog
7 - The Return of the Linear Guild
8 - Atonement (The Ballad of the Lonely Wizard)
9 - Draketooth's Demise
10 - Down Below
11 - Belkar & Durkon
12 - Blooddrinkers
13 - Happy Ending
14 - Fourth Gate Down
15 - Bloodfeast
16 - My Two Dads
17 - Caster Fight
18 - Tarquin's Defeat
Bonus Track - Servant of Hel

Number four should be titled, "How Can I Say I Love You?"

Number six should be "Mind Games."

Fyraltari
2018-06-29, 12:54 PM
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but my mind suddenly imagined Belkar going to fight a gigantic tank manned with gods know how many people - and all of them are also operating a gigantic electric guitar.

Ah but can he win a greatsword fight with a daffodil?

ThePhantasm
2018-06-29, 03:34 PM
No he shouldn't. Eyes play an important role in displaying reactions for OOTS characters. I doubt he'll have the sunglasses for long.

NAdamV423
2018-07-02, 07:13 AM
Ah but can he win a greatsword fight with a daffodil?
If Belkar is attempting battle against a daffodil, and Belkar's weapon of choice is a greatsword, nope. He wouldn't even be able to lift the blade.

If, on the other hand, Belkar's weapon of choice is a daffodil and his opponent has a greatsword, I wouldn't put it past him. The murderous yet sexy god of war could probably invent a way to kill somebody with a daffodil so horrifying that it would need to occur off-panel.

Fyraltari
2018-07-16, 05:23 PM
I got my swords wrong but that was a reference to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwoWo4ChYuQ

martianmister
2018-07-16, 08:12 PM
Clara and Mistress are working together? :smallsigh:

Fyraltari
2018-07-17, 10:40 AM
Clara and Mistress are working together? :smallsigh:

Only for an episode and it's hilarious.

Emanick
2018-07-17, 11:34 AM
I'm glad someone finally got the reference. It would have been sad if I had been the first one to notice.

martianmister
2018-07-17, 12:31 PM
I'm glad someone finally got the reference. It would have been sad if I had been the first one to notice.

Which reference?

Emanick
2018-07-17, 12:40 PM
Which reference?

Synesthesy was referencing the first episode of Series 9 of Doctor Who. Fyraltari has kindly posted a link to the scene in question.

Edit: Reading your earlier post, you probably got this already. I'll leave this post up anyway in case somebody else wants the reference explained.

Fish
2018-07-17, 01:28 PM
Hope he keeps em.
For the rest of his life.

Fyraltari
2018-07-17, 01:56 PM

By the way anybody knows when serie 11 comes out?

Emanick
2018-07-17, 02:13 PM
By the way anybody knows when serie 11 comes out?

Should be late September or October, but it somehow still hasn’t been confirmed.

Fyraltari
2018-07-17, 02:34 PM
Thank you.