2018-06-19, 10:55 AM
I'm a supporter Of the DMG you can check him out here:

www.7dsystem.com

or his youtube channels:
(7dsystem channel)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA8FQZlMvfWA-Vqd5MCm99Q
(his awesome crafting channel)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJLqz6kcB1gMPiVnL0XfUDg

and he has an AMAZING creation! more so an evolution of this AWESOMe system he calls "7d"

i'm seriously thinking this is the easiest system and i love it, it leaves the complex away, it helps new players pick it up easy, and i honestly love it so much i'm abandoning 5e's rule system for it.

(please check it out and answer this question: could this system replace all the others? - is this the "silver bullet" of systems? i'm starting to think so.)

here's the system in a nutshell:

no classes
no levels
your character progresses by becoming better at skills they undertake and you build your character out however you like
aka - want to be good at using a sword? then use it, and you'll get better at it.

the dice mechanics are simple:

7 levels of difficulty 1-7.

difficulty tells you the TYPE of die you roll : d2, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20.

no matter the die, to succeed, you need to roll a 1.

how skilled you are at something = how many dice you roll.

so as you become better at swinging that sword, you start rolling 2 dice, then 3, then 4, etc.
if ANY of them roll a 1. you succeed.

also size matters, and scales damage proportionately.

which is important as EVERYTHING from pixies to dragons die when they hit 7 injuries.

its a SUPER fun mechanic. and i find my players LOVING how easy it is and how intuitive and how much they don't actually care about character levels anymore.

anyways. check it out. and let me know your thoughts i'd love to hear.

I am NOT the creator of this system, i'm just a huge supporter, you can actually watch me play in one of his games he hosts for patreon supporters on his 7d channel on youtube.

i played Oslo.

Durzan
2018-06-19, 11:00 AM
So... its a variant of Dice Pool systems? Minorly interesting, I suppose.

Anachronity
2018-06-19, 01:39 PM
I dislike 'do the thing in dangerous situations to get better at the thing' systems. Any reasonable person is going to stick to what they're actually good at in any dangerous situation, and practice any other talents in a safe environment until such time as they're confident enough with those other talents for them to be a reasonable alternative in a crisis. Unless this system also manages to capture that aspect, but unfortunately most do not.

It's not the silver bullet. No single tabletop game will ever be the silver bullet, because another system will make sacrifices in other areas in order to handle a particular area of interest in greater detail with less abstraction. It's not nearly complicated enough and would need to be in order for fans of, say, D&D 3.5 to enjoy it. It could potentially be a very good entry-level RPG though.

Yerok LliGcam
2018-06-25, 01:42 PM
I dislike 'do the thing in dangerous situations to get better at the thing' systems.

isn't that adventuring?

noob
2018-06-25, 02:41 PM
isn't that adventuring?

Except that if training worked only in dangerous situations people would figure it out and then schools would involve trapped rooms with traps that hurts you when you fail your exams and whole lot of exams.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-25, 04:21 PM
I glanced at it a bit, and... honestly, I'm not very impressed. It looks like it's trying to combine Fate-style "your character is primarily defined by roleplaying traits" with 3.5 D&D-style "lots of fiddly combat modifiers," all running off a wonky die pool system. I can see how it would work*, but it seems like clunkier version of other games-- in particular, Savage Worlds (https://www.peginc.com/product-category/savage-worlds/).

*Mostly. I'm assuming it's a "players roll all the dice" thing?

Yerok LliGcam
2018-07-10, 10:29 AM
lol you critics haven't even tried it. i bet you 10/10 if you play it with your players for 3 games. they'll love it.

dare to try.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-07-10, 11:37 AM
Honestly, I haven't tried it, it looks interesting, might test it sometime, but the problems with "Do this to get better at this" at the very least exist with a larger focus on mechanics. We saw this in FF2.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-10, 11:49 AM
lol you critics haven't even tried it. i bet you 10/10 if you play it with your players for 3 games. they'll love it.

dare to try.
I mean, if your group is enjoying it, more power to you. But... there are hundreds of generic systems out there, and aside from the unusual die mechanic, I don't see a lot to recommend this. I'm especially not seeing how it's a simple low-complexity system; just looking at the character and reference sheets makes my head hurt.

2018-07-10, 12:48 PM

dare to try.

Well aren't you just doing a remarkable job of selling the product.

Gorum
2018-07-10, 04:34 PM
I'm a supporter Of the DMG you can check him out here:

www.7dsystem.com

or his youtube channels:
(7dsystem channel)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA8FQZlMvfWA-Vqd5MCm99Q
(his awesome crafting channel)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJLqz6kcB1gMPiVnL0XfUDg

and he has an AMAZING creation! more so an evolution of this AWESOMe system he calls "7d"

i'm seriously thinking this is the easiest system and i love it, it leaves the complex away, it helps new players pick it up easy, and i honestly love it so much i'm abandoning 5e's rule system for it.

(please check it out and answer this question: could this system replace all the others? - is this the "silver bullet" of systems? i'm starting to think so.)

here's the system in a nutshell:

no classes
no levels
your character progresses by becoming better at skills they undertake and you build your character out however you like
aka - want to be good at using a sword? then use it, and you'll get better at it.

the dice mechanics are simple:

7 levels of difficulty 1-7.

difficulty tells you the TYPE of die you roll : d2, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20.

no matter the die, to succeed, you need to roll a 1.

how skilled you are at something = how many dice you roll.

so as you become better at swinging that sword, you start rolling 2 dice, then 3, then 4, etc.
if ANY of them roll a 1. you succeed.

also size matters, and scales damage proportionately.

which is important as EVERYTHING from pixies to dragons die when they hit 7 injuries.

its a SUPER fun mechanic. and i find my players LOVING how easy it is and how intuitive and how much they don't actually care about character levels anymore.

anyways. check it out. and let me know your thoughts i'd love to hear.

I am NOT the creator of this system, i'm just a huge supporter, you can actually watch me play in one of his games he hosts for patreon supporters on his 7d channel on youtube.

i played Oslo.

Dice pool can go from 2d2 to 6d20... no thanks. Even the hellish d20 system had the sense to have more uniform dice rolls. All the rest seems like Dream Pod 9's silhouette system anyways.

[Skill rank]d6, take highest, extra 6 adds to the final result, is plainly more playable.

JNAProductions
2018-07-10, 04:36 PM
Seems okay. Worth playing, sure, but hardly a universal, be-all end-all gaming system.

Nifft
2018-07-10, 04:41 PM
Well aren't you just doing a remarkable job of selling the product.

If the product were well-marketed or had good word-of-mouth sales, he wouldn't have to shill it here.

JNAProductions
2018-07-10, 04:44 PM
If the product were well-marketed or had good word-of-mouth sales, he wouldn't have to shill it here.

And looking at the site... It's big on "So good! Awesome! Revolutionary!" and less big on actual details.

Maat Mons
2018-07-10, 06:00 PM
Well, my very first RPG was Vampire: the Masquerade, and it boasted these features:
No classes
No levels
8 levels of difficulty
How skilled you are = how many dice you roll
Difficulty of roll determines the chances of any given die being a success
As long as you get at least 1 success, you succeed

Vampire: the Masquerade eventually decided it was dumb to modify difficulty by two different mechanisms. That is, by giving bonus dice (or or reducing the number of dice rolled) and by changing the odds that each die will be a success. So they moved to a system where the odds of any given die being a success never change, and anything that previously would have changed that probability instead adds or removes dice from your pool. Personally, I agree with this change, and I think it's a shame that this 7d system didn't learn from its predecessors, and decided to build needless complexity into the base mechanic.

I'd say one weakness of dice pool systems is that you need a lot of dice. In, say, GURPS, you need to roll 3d6. It doesn't matter what you're doing, you roll 3d6. Okay, damage might be a different number of d6s, but anything that would add a d6 past the 3rd one instead converted itself and one other 6d to the average result of the two, 7. So you literally never needed to roll more than three dice, and all dice were always d6s. So each player only needs 3 dice. That's pretty manageable, when you compare to, say, D&D, where you need 6 dice (twice as many!) just to cover the the different die types. And then you need more than one of some of those types, so even more dice.

When I started Vampire: the Masquerade, my DM advised me to be ready for the possibility of needing to roll as many as 10 dice. So that means I had to buy... 10 dice. More than 3 times as many as for a GURPS game. More even than comes in a tube of D&D starter dice. And, under this 7d system, if you wanted to be prepared to roll 10 dice, you'd need 10 dice... of each of the die types. That's 70 friggin' dice! I mean, I have a giant collection of dice of every shape, size, and color, so I wouldn't need o buy anything new. I'd just be really annoyed at having to bring all my dice, instead of just taking as small pouch of the specific dice I'll need. But think of the first-time players!

Also, bear in mind that 6-sided dice can be bought anywhere. My local grocery store has packs of 5 six-sided dice on one of the encaps. GURPs made the deliberate decision to use only d6s for just that reason. It was an effort to make the game approachable to non-gamers. When you showed the ropes to a new player, you didn't even have to explain to them that there are different kinds of dice, or how that terminology works. Conversely, getting dice of other types requires going to a specialty shop, which new players may not have even known existed. And they might be intimidated by walking into the domain of the long-time enthusiasts, embarrassed by their lack of knowledge, and unsure if they're even asking for things by the right name. That's just building a bigger hurdle to people who might be interested in picking up the hobby.

One point on which I will give props though. Giving every player/creature 6 health (and having them die/be defeated at 0 health) allows everyone's health to be tracked on a six-sided die (the most readily available). I mean, I've played RPGs with fixed health before, but choosing the number 6 makes things pretty convenient. So kudos on that.