PDA

View Full Version : Best 1st lvl Psionic Power For An Organization?

Blue Wizard
2018-06-19, 12:26 PM
Ok, so a little detail. A fairly low level elf wizard in our campaign has discovered how to mass produce dryads. What has been decided is to set them up a dozen per location to establish something like the Dutch East India Company: lots of trading missions all over, no real intent for conquest.

A way has been established to give the dryads somewhere between five and eight levels of druid, each. With a dozen for mutual support, some domains so they can command lions and bears, some mephits, sylphs, etc, for support, they are looking tolerably well defended.

It's all looking fairly solid. But among the things done was to grant each and every member of this organization the Hidden Talent feat. Now the way this was given, it can't be traded away for anything else, and each person is going to get the exact same psionic power from it.

Our table does not have a lot of experience in psionics, and this is at least partially DM fiat in order to branch us out and grant us some exposure to that system. But I admit I am out of my depth here.

So, do those who know the D20 psionic system have any thoughts on what the most useful low level powers are? We prize flexibility, but any good suggestions would help.

In fact, if you could give me your top 3, and why, that would be an enormous help.

Thanks in advance.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-19, 12:37 PM
Psionic minor creation is easily the best ML 1 power, no contest. If you can finagle a higher ML (such as with the Supernatural Transformation feat) and more pp, astral construct is right behind it. With a tactical mindset, synchronicity is also pretty great, especially with access to Linked Power and a higher ML to make use of it (or Metapower to reduce costs). There are handbooks for the first two. On my phone right now with limited wifi, so linking is a pain, but Google is your friend.

Blue Wizard
2018-06-19, 01:10 PM
I think this is where I prove my ignorance, as I don't even know where to find Psionic Minor Creation.

Looking for it, I did discover that Synchronicity was in Complete Psionic, though. So I am learning.

A quick search on this site for threads about Astral Construct has my eyes bugging out. Yeah, I could see how that could be useful.

So thanks again!

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-19, 01:14 PM
It's on the shaper psion discipline list, right by astral construct. I believe it's listed as "minor creation, psionic."

Venger
2018-06-19, 01:21 PM
I think this is where I prove my ignorance, as I don't even know where to find Psionic Minor Creation.

Looking for it, I did discover that Synchronicity was in Complete Psionic, though. So I am learning.

A quick search on this site for threads about Astral Construct has my eyes bugging out. Yeah, I could see how that could be useful.

So thanks again!

like all core content, look at the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/minorCreationPsionic.htm)

astral construct is the psionic version of summon monster, but instead of bloating the book with 9 identical writeups of the same spell, bruce just wrote 1 power. you can juice it and make your astral construct stronger, bigger, make him fly, impgrab, etc. for extra power points spent. think of him as a mr potato head.

Uncle Pine
2018-06-19, 01:23 PM

So thanks again!

Here you go (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/minorCreationPsionic.htm), and I concur with MaxiDuRaritry with it being easily the best 1st level power ever. Keep in mind that yes, you can produce poison doses with it!

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-19, 01:32 PM
http://www.psionics.info has info on all the 1st party book psionic powers, as well as some (technically) 3rd party ones written by Bruce Cordell, the author of 3.5 psionics.

Ruethgar
2018-06-19, 02:23 PM
Because of the StP Erudite and the Psychic Adept, all spells are also available. War Create Element is pretty potent as a power, as are Prestidigitation, Mending and Nurturing Seeds. Nurturing Seeds is on the druid list, but Prestidigitation creation is permanent and can make fertile seeds, such as seeds of the Wish flower or any magical plant really. When combined with Nurturing Seeds you can garuntee they won’t die, though you may or may not get any yield. Create Element cast by a non-cleric can technically make a lot of alchemy and special materials such as black sand, stones of annihilation, blue ice, fused sand, elemental lodestone, pure elemental earth and water, but if you are barred from those it is still a neat trick to be able to make 50lb of stone or earth, or 225 gal of water.

daremetoidareyo
2018-06-19, 02:37 PM
Complete psionics has a chapter for Human psion houses which are organizations that upgrade the wild Talent feat for the hidden talent feat. It might be best to start there for inspiration

Ramza00
2018-06-19, 03:05 PM
Eidetic Lock (Complete Psionic) is a 1st level psionic power that is photographic memory. You can remember a single image, or a 500 words (so a page of text with most modern 8.5x11 papers) per 1 day / level.

But if you can boost your manifester level to 5 and supply a total of 5 power points the memory is permanent and instantaneous (non dispellable).

Seak
2018-06-19, 05:32 PM
Because of the StP Erudite and the Psychic Adept, all spells are also available. War Create Element is pretty potent as a power, as are Prestidigitation, Mending and Nurturing Seeds. Nurturing Seeds is on the druid list, but Prestidigitation creation is permanent and can make fertile seeds, such as seeds of the Wish flower or any magical plant really. When combined with Nurturing Seeds you can garuntee they won’t die, though you may or may not get any yield. Create Element cast by a non-cleric can technically make a lot of alchemy and special materials such as black sand, stones of annihilation, blue ice, fused sand, elemental lodestone, pure elemental earth and water, but if you are barred from those it is still a neat trick to be able to make 50lb of stone or earth, or 225 gal of water.

What are the sources on Create Element and Nurturing Seeds? Also, how did you figure that you can create seeds from prestidigitation?

Nifft
2018-06-19, 06:08 PM
Mindlink could be a decent pick for a dispersed organization -- large organizations live & die by communication, and having a secret conversation during a negotiation might allow for better decision making.

Empathy is useful for negotiators, and for merchants, and for detecting those who wish you ill.

Attraction is great for a negotiator or seducer, and as a commercial venture you could always make your venue attractive to specific local celebrities whenever you needed a boost in publicity. (This is obviously the real-world origin of the infamous Big Mac Attack.)

Venger
2018-06-19, 06:12 PM
Haven't thought about that commercial in a while. Tragically, aversion is a 2. When was the last time you willingly set foot in a burger king?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-19, 06:18 PM
When was the last time you willingly set foot in a burger king?I had to use the restroom once, and the Denny's next door was closed for maintenance.

Venger
2018-06-19, 06:24 PM
I had to use the restroom once, and the Denny's next door was closed for maintenance.

19 years ago, trying to collect all the toys from "mewtwo strikes back"

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-06-19, 06:39 PM
19 years ago, trying to collect all the toys from "mewtwo strikes back"I worked there on 3rd shift one summer, about...20 years ago, or so. Hoo boy, the stories I could tell.*

*Stories that don't involve me falling asleep on my feet and almost landing in a fry vat, anyway. You saw nothing.

mabriss lethe
2018-06-19, 10:12 PM
For an organization as a whole, I'd consider Telempathic Projection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telempathicProjection.htm): Will save vs moving an npc's attitude up one step and all allies gain a +4 untyped bonus to several important social rolls. That can net the organization a LOT of influence in unexpected places.

Psyren
2018-06-20, 12:06 AM
Hey, I like Burger King!

IIRC Secrets of Sarlona adds a bunch more 1st-level powers to the psion list. One of them is Prestidigitation - which is hard not to find a use for even on its own, but the psionic version goes a step further by throwing in the effects of Mending.

Venger
2018-06-20, 12:19 AM
Hey, I like Burger King!

IIRC Secrets of Sarlona adds a bunch more 1st-level powers to the psion list. One of them is Prestidigitation - which is hard not to find a use for even on its own, but the psionic version goes a step further by throwing in the effects of Mending.

Can't fault their chicken fries.

Huh. Never seen those before. Nice find!