PDA

View Full Version : How much would this cost?

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-08, 02:54 PM
I want a magic item like the ring of sustenance, but its only benefit is that I only need 2 hours of sleep. (in other words, a ring of sustenance without the no need to eat/drink).

I would price it around 800-1000gp, what do you think?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-09-08, 03:31 PM
Uhh, I don't think Rings of Sustainance remove the need for eat or drink. Does it?

Seffbasilisk
2007-09-08, 03:33 PM
It does remove the need to eat or drink...

The two hour sleep thing is somewhat mixed in with the eat/sleep thing if you read the fluff...but also, 2K is the cheapest by the RaW magic rings I can find. So i'm sorry, you'll have to pony up that TREMENDOUS 2.5K.

(Even if you want to eat/drink, it's still damn good for price)

Ulzgoroth
2007-09-08, 03:34 PM
Sustenance

This ring continually provides its wearer with life-sustaining nourishment. The ring also refreshes the body and mind, so that its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. The ring must be worn for a full week before it begins to work. If it is removed, the owner must wear it for another week to reattune it to himself.

It isn't particularly explicit about it, but I'm pretty sure that's what life-sustaining nourishment is about. And why the name makes any sense.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-08, 03:52 PM
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (from the complete mage) allows you to sleep for one hour and have it count as a full night, but only once per three days. It costs 3000 gp. What you propose is both worse (2 hours instead of 1, and takes up a ring slot), and better (every night instead of 1 in 3). I'd estimate it at 3000 gp as well.

Seffbasilisk
2007-09-08, 03:58 PM
It isn't particularly explicit about it, but I'm pretty sure that's what life-sustaining nourishment is about. And why the name makes any sense.

Create Food and Water is the spell used to power it.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-08, 04:02 PM
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (from the complete mage) allows you to sleep for one hour and have it count as a full night, but only once per three days. It costs 3000 gp. What you propose is both worse (2 hours instead of 1, and takes up a ring slot), and better (every night instead of 1 in 3). I'd estimate it at 3000 gp as well.

But ring of sustenance does not count as a full night of rest (read: 8 hours of sleep needed by wizards, clerics, etc.), but does eliminates any drawbacks from less sleep as long as you slept for the 2 hours. So it is significantly less valuable, really only good for a guard.

Anxe
2007-09-08, 04:34 PM
Take the ring of sustenance and minus 1/4 Murlynd's spoon fro the cost to get.

2,500 - 5,400/4 = 2,500 - 1,350 = 1,150 GP

That's your cost.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-08, 04:35 PM
But ring of sustenance does not count as a full night of rest

By SRD, it says "its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep", which I believe indicates differently.

Anyway, if your ring has the drawback of not allowing casters to refresh their spells that way, I'd say halving the cost is certainly justified.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-08, 05:10 PM
There aren't any spells that grant that kind of benefit (the sleeping thing). However, the Clr 2 spell Lesser Restoration removes fatigue. That could be the basis for a magic item. So, once per day (probably recharged by the rising sun) you get 'rejuvinated' as though you had slept for 8 hours and curing fatigue.

So that would be:
Spell level: 2
Caster level: 3
Command word: 1800
One use per day: /5

Should be 2160 gp value by the guidelines.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-08, 11:30 PM
Sounds like 3 separate Heward's Fortifying Bedrolls at 3,000 GP a piece will do the trick for 9,000 GP.

Ulzgoroth
2007-09-09, 12:17 AM
Sounds like 3 separate Heward's Fortifying Bedrolls at 3,000 GP a piece will do the trick for 9,000 GP.
Sorry, but it's better written than that. In fact, the bedroll works 1/day...but you can't benefit from the effect again from any source until 48 hours have passed.

Which actually means you can use it every other day, not every three...though occasionally you'll need to break for a re-adjust since it becomes usable again an hour later each time.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-09, 12:53 AM
Sorry, but it's better written than that. In fact, the bedroll works 1/day...but you can't benefit from the effect again from any source until 48 hours have passed.

Should have reviewed the source book before posting.

DMG: Ring of Sustenance 2,500 GP CL5 Create Food and Water. Benefits: This ring continually provides the bearer with life sustaining nourishment. the ring also refreshes the body and mind so that the wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep.

Cheaper Variant subject to DM approval: The Lesser Ring of Sustenance 1,000 GP CL1 Good Berry and Healthful Rest.

The Good Berry and Healthful Rest variant provides the bearer with the life sustaining nourishment of a single Good Berry (a single nourishing meal) each day although instead of healing the wearer with +1 hit point or doubling the subject's natural healing rate instead it refreshes the body and mind so that the wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep.

The Craft Wonderous Item feat can be used to make low level talismans so:

A level 1 Talisman of Good Berry usable 1/Day would make 2D4 Good Berries at a cost of 300 GP market and average 5 berries with each casting.

A level 1 Talisman of Helathful Rest usable 1/Day would double the natural healing rate of the being and cost 300 GP market.

The Pouch of Trail Rations is somewhere around 750 GP.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-09, 03:45 AM
I love how everybody is using the same guidelines here and yet arrives at a different answer than everybody else :smallbiggrin:

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-09, 04:10 PM
The pricing mechanics depend on the CL and the level of the spell you are using and when you are in gray territory you look at comparably priced magic items for a guideline.

OP wants a magic item that does less than a standard magic item that costs 2,500 GP.

The magic item he wants "should" be cheaper than the standard magic item if it is "available" in his game to his PC subject to DM approval.