PDA

View Full Version : Stealing from pathfinder

Ryblackadder
2018-06-19, 07:32 PM
Now I’m no veteran like most of you guys. I didn’t play D&D when I was 12, though now I wish I did, I’ve only ever played 5e, and I’ve never played any other role playing games yet... but I’ve read up about them and good lord is the lore to D&D has huge as it is awesome... and as confusing. One issue I have though with 5e is the demon lords... I love them. I love all of them. But I want more darn it and pathfinder has more! Sifting through all these different demon lords is tricky especially when some sources say one thing and others another so I’m asking you guys, the experts and the geniuses that you are, to maybe give me ideas for demon lords to stea- I mean... borrow, And adapt to 5e. Bonus points if you recommend any yuologoth lords either canon or ones you made up. Love yugoloths, hugely underrated, even if their name is weird. Love ya all! <3

Kane0
2018-06-19, 08:00 PM
If you google '5e monster converter' you should be able to get a couple results that will help you out, though you will likely have to come up with conversions of unique abilities yourself. Its a good starting point though.

GreatWyrmGold
2018-06-19, 08:13 PM
It's worth noting that, in a pinch, 3.5, 5e, and Pathfinder are similar enough that you should be able to get away with using the Pathfinder stats if you have to (especially for boss-level encounters, where any small oddities may be assumed to be a special boss ability). Just keep an eye on everyone's HP and whatnot to make sure you didn't guess the balance wrong...

Unoriginal
2018-06-20, 03:00 AM
Stealing from Pathfinder?

I'm sorry, OP, you got your Robing Hood wrong, you're not supposed to steal from the rich to give to the poor, not the reverse.

More seriously, if you want to adapt a monster from Pathfinder, you're better off keeping the concept and some signature powers and re-create the monster from scratch using the DMG guideline. Especially to have HPs, AC, attack bonus and damage-per-round fitting for the CR you want to give it.

Also keep in mind that 5e and Pathfinder are pretty different lore-wise too.

Did you have any Demon in mind you wished to translate first?

It's worth noting that, in a pinch, 3.5, 5e, and Pathfinder are similar enough that you should be able to get away with using the Pathfinder stats if you have to (especially for boss-level encounters, where any small oddities may be assumed to be a special boss ability)

Ahaha no.

The Pathfinder monster math is completely different from the 5e one aside from both using 1d20 (and other dice).

I mean, just compare a few stats of the Balors from the two games:

Pathfinder:

AC: 36, touch 20, flat-footed 29

HP:370

Melee attack: +1 vorpal unholy longsword +31/+26/+21/+16 (2d6+13), +1 vorpal flaming whip +30/+25/+20 (1d4+7 plus 1d6 fire and entangle) (so 7 attacks) or 2 slams +31 (1d10+12)

5e:

AC: 19

HP: 262

Melee attack: 1 longsword attack (+14 to hit, Hit: 21 (3d8 + 8) slashing damage plus 13 (3d8) lightning damage. If the balor scores a critical hit, it rolls damage dice three times, instead of twice) + 1 whip attack (+14 to hit Hit: 15 (2d6 + 8) slashing damage plus 10 (3d6) fire damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 20 Strength saving throw or be pulled up to 25 feet toward the balor).

Just keep an eye on everyone's HP and whatnot to make sure you didn't guess the balance wrong...

AKA you have to change basically all the numbers.