PDA

View Full Version : Exhaustion and Elemental Wildshaping

nickl_2000
2018-06-20, 10:20 AM
So, elemental forms for a Moon Druid are immune to exhaustion. So, if you have multiple levels of exhaustion, can you wildshape into those forms to prevent the negatives of the condition?

Sigreid
2018-06-20, 10:24 AM
Yep. That's the way I read it. Also, since the forms don't share hp or attributes I would not apply the exhaustion to any of their forms.

nickl_2000
2018-06-20, 10:25 AM
Yep. That's the way I read it. Also, since the forms don't share hp or attributes I would not apply the exhaustion to any of their forms.

Really? So, if my caster form was poisoned and I wildshaped into a Polar Bear you wouldn't apply the poison condition until the wildshape ended?

strangebloke
2018-06-20, 10:35 AM
Really? So, if my caster form was poisoned and I wildshaped into a Polar Bear you wouldn't apply the poison condition until the wildshape ended?

Correct. You're immune to the condition. Always. Not immune to the spell taking effect in the first place.

Really, the way I read it, a polar bear can get 'poisoned' but wouldn't feel the effects of it. Which actually kind of makes the moon druid a bit worse.

Malifice
2018-06-20, 10:38 AM
Shifting to polar bear doesn't stop poison. They aren't immune to poison. You'd keep that condition.

Shifting to an elemental stops exhaustion. You become immune. The condition doesn't go away though; your druid still has it when he shifts back.

Sigreid
2018-06-20, 10:42 AM
Keep in mind that with my ruling there's no get out of jail free card. Any conditions, poisons, diseases or whatever are not cured by wild shape. They are put on hold for the duration of the wild shape. The druid will be in exactly as bad of shape when he shifts back as he was when he wildshaped.

nickl_2000
2018-06-20, 10:44 AM
Keep in mind that with my ruling there's no get out of jail free card. Any conditions, poisons, diseases or whatever are not cured by wild shape. They are put on hold for the duration of the wild shape. The druid will be in exactly as bad of shape when he shifts back as he was when he wildshaped.

Yes, but there are more and less convenient times to be poisoned, or exhausted, or diseased. If you can put off the condition until you are no longer in combat it can completely change the nature of an encounter

Sigreid
2018-06-20, 10:48 AM
Yes, but there are more and less convenient times to be poisoned, or exhausted, or diseased. If you can put off the condition until you are no longer in combat it can completely change the nature of an encounter

Absolutely.

Edit: it could become very important when the druid gets knocked out of wild shape.

Malifice
2018-06-20, 11:46 AM
Absolutely.

Edit: it could become very important when the druid gets knocked out of wild shape.

I had a similar question with a Druid with Max HP drain (Spectre got him).

Its probably not RAW correct but I made an on the spot ruling that the Max HP drain affected the Druid and the Bear form as it was 'soul drain.'

Made life drain scarier and fluffier, but probably shouldnt have worked that way mechanically.

I was also swayed in the ruling by the fact the it was low level and the Moon druid was crumping everything.

Sigreid
2018-06-20, 02:46 PM
I had a similar question with a Druid with Max HP drain (Spectre got him).

Its probably not RAW correct but I made an on the spot ruling that the Max HP drain affected the Druid and the Bear form as it was 'soul drain.'

Made life drain scarier and fluffier, but probably shouldnt have worked that way mechanically.

I was also swayed in the ruling by the fact the it was low level and the Moon druid was crumping everything.

I like the room for variation that rulings not rules gives us.😁