PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting and Effects

Xelaso
2018-06-20, 12:50 PM
If I've been wrapped in vines by the effect of Grasping Arrow (arcane archer), I take damage the next time I move. If I then use Misty Step to teleport away, do those vines follow me or do they just fall onto the ground and sit there?

MrStabby
2018-06-20, 01:16 PM
I would in general rule this kind of thing depending on if it was an individual thing or an area thing. If it is an area effected I would rule that they are free if they 'port out. If, like ensnaring strike it is an individual target then I would say that the effect stays.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-20, 01:25 PM
I’d say that it depends on the description. In general I’d rule that teleporting gets you out of those situations, and I would say that teleporting is not actually moving.

Maybe something like better booming blade wouldn’t work but anything that would be grappling or any area of effect type deal I would say teleporting gets you out.

Aett_Thorn
2018-06-20, 01:33 PM
I would in general rule this kind of thing depending on if it was an individual thing or an area thing. If it is an area effected I would rule that they are free if they 'port out. If, like ensnaring strike it is an individual target then I would say that the effect stays.

This is how I'd rule it, too. If you've moving out of an AoE spell that has an effect only when you're in it, teleporting out would free you. If it's an individual effect, it would stick with you. For instance, if you were attacked by Booming Blade, you teleported, and then walked 5 feet, you'd still have the damage rider go off. But if you teleport out of the Web spell's AoE, you'd be free.

holywhippet
2018-06-20, 05:31 PM
The wording for this particular ability specifically covers teleportation. It says you don't take damage from moving if you teleport, but it doesn't say anything about it vanishing.

Segev
2018-06-20, 05:41 PM
The wording for this particular ability specifically covers teleportation. It says you don't take damage from moving if you teleport, but it doesn't say anything about it vanishing.

For booming blade, in particular, it doesn't say the field surrounding the target is stationary. It says it harms them the next time they try to voluntarily move. If they're shoved around involuntarily, nothing in the spell suggests that that gets them "out" of it. If they try to move back to where they came from, they take the damage.

Booming blade on somebody shoved with a Repelling Blast into a wall of fire would be quite rude: they take the damage for moving into the fire, and, if they don't move out, take it again for staying there, but if they do, they take damage for moving!