PDA

View Full Version : Primary source for Netflix arrival/leaving schedules?

gomipile
2018-06-20, 04:25 PM
Cosmopolitan, Digital Trends, Elle, Lifehacker, USA Today, and other sites put up articles around the third week of every month with schedules of what will be arriving and leaving Netflix the following month. When I search for these sorts of lists, these media outlet articles and posts talking about them are all I get.

These articles don't list useful primary sources. Is there an official Netflix page listing this information that just gets buried in media outlet Google results? Or does Netflix provide monthly press releases directly to these media outlets instead of providing the information directly to their customers?

I suppose they might see the press release option as a positive, since it keeps Netflix "in the news" every month in a technically correct sense. At this time, though, I get most of my news from suggested news stories, which include blog posts directly from corporations I'm a customer of. Blizzard game related blog posts show up in my Chrome suggested news and Facebook feeds, for example.

But here's a weird thing: Netflix has a blog, and a tab on it for press releases. The arrival/departure schedule isn't on it. So, do Netflix secretly give this information directly to media each month? That wouldn't be what they want us to think they define as a "press release," then. I doubt that the information is unofficially leaked on such a regular schedule.

Is there, perhaps, an API that automatically serves this information, but not in a nice human-formatted list?

Why don't these media outlets list their sources? At least they seem not to most of the time, since I haven't seen them do it yet.

JoshL
2018-06-20, 06:01 PM
They USED to have an upcoming/expiring API, and back then http://instantwatcher.com/ was the best implementation. But they changed it, I assume as you do so they can do their own press releases, and these days they seem to have a good listing of what is new, but the upcoming and expiring page seems a lot lacking. I also seem to remember the change had something to do with licensing contracts, and how volitile some of those became after it became clear that lots of people wanted to watch netflix. I can't recall the details of that though.

Olinser
2018-06-20, 06:23 PM
Cosmopolitan, Digital Trends, Elle, Lifehacker, USA Today, and other sites put up articles around the third week of every month with schedules of what will be arriving and leaving Netflix the following month. When I search for these sorts of lists, these media outlet articles and posts talking about them are all I get.

These articles don't list useful primary sources. Is there an official Netflix page listing this information that just gets buried in media outlet Google results? Or does Netflix provide monthly press releases directly to these media outlets instead of providing the information directly to their customers?

I suppose they might see the press release option as a positive, since it keeps Netflix "in the news" every month in a technically correct sense. At this time, though, I get most of my news from suggested news stories, which include blog posts directly from corporations I'm a customer of. Blizzard game related blog posts show up in my Chrome suggested news and Facebook feeds, for example.

But here's a weird thing: Netflix has a blog, and a tab on it for press releases. The arrival/departure schedule isn't on it. So, do Netflix secretly give this information directly to media each month? That wouldn't be what they want us to think they define as a "press release," then. I doubt that the information is unofficially leaked on such a regular schedule.

Is there, perhaps, an API that automatically serves this information, but not in a nice human-formatted list?

Why don't these media outlets list their sources? At least they seem not to most of the time, since I haven't seen them do it yet.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Netflix+arrival+schedule

Psyren
2018-06-20, 07:52 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Netflix+arrival+schedule

That tells you what's coming but not what's about to expire.

Some Android
2018-06-20, 08:00 PM
Random question and I don't want to derail the thread: is Dr. Strange still on Netflix? I'd check but I've since enter a state where I buy a prepaid debit card, have Netflix for a few months, then go a few months without it. I plan on resubscribing when Disenchantment (Matt Groening's new show) hits Netflix, but if Dr. Strange is about to leave, I might start again sooner.

tomandtish
2018-06-20, 08:59 PM
Random question and I don't want to derail the thread: is Dr. Strange still on Netflix? I'd check but I've since enter a state where I buy a prepaid debit card, have Netflix for a few months, then go a few months without it. I plan on resubscribing when Disenchantment (Matt Groening's new show) hits Netflix, but if Dr. Strange is about to leave, I might start again sooner.

Yes, it is. of the MCU, they have:

Dr. Strange
Guardians 2
Civil War
Thor Ragnarok

They also have Agents of Shield, the 6 Netflix series, and several animated films.

6. It has always said 6. We have always been at war with Eurasia....

Some Android
2018-06-20, 09:07 PM
Yes, it is. of the MCU, they have:

Dr. Strange
Guardians 2
Civil War
Thor Ragnarok

They also have Agents of Shield, the 5 Netflix series, and several animated films.

Ragnarok is on Netflix? Haven't seen it. Might have restart my subscription soon.

Olinser
2018-06-20, 11:16 PM
Ragnarok is on Netflix? Haven't seen it. Might have restart my subscription soon.

Yes it's almost brand new its only been on a couple weeks - I was actually watching it just yesterday.

Some Android
2018-06-23, 06:42 PM
Yes it's almost brand new its only been on a couple weeks - I was actually watching it just yesterday.

You know I've pretty much hit fatigue with the MCU like a lot of people, but I'm always curious what Stan Lee's cameo will be. My main interest to see a Marvel film is to see what funny thing Stan Lee does. That said don't spoil it for me because given how formulaic these films are his cameo is the most unexpected thing.

Speaking of which what was his cameo again in Dr. Strange? I've seen the film - granted the only time I saw it was not in ideal conditions so I forget like half of it. Anyone want to tell me please put it in spoilers. I'm gonna kick myself afterwards for not remembering it.

tomandtish
2018-06-24, 12:42 PM
Here you go....

When Strange and Kaecilius smash into a bus, Stan is riding the bus reading a book.

Some Android
2018-06-24, 07:16 PM
Here you go....

When Strange and Kaecilius smash into a bus, Stan is riding the bus reading a book.

Yeah seems vaguely familiar. Also thanks.

I hope the original poster isn't mad at me for kind of derailing this thread. I mean I am kind of still keeping it alive.

Trying to segue back to topic: anyone else have any info about Netflix's schedule?