PDA

View Full Version : I want to do a One Punch Man style campaign

Some Android
2018-06-20, 04:52 PM
So like a solo campaign where there's one character that's like level 25 and all foes are CR/level 10 or lower. Furthermore most foes would be below CR/level 5. I'm just wondering how long before that would be boring. I mean I guess that's subjective so I guess this is just an informal pole before I actually plan anything. And as always tips would be helpful.

AureusFulgens
2018-06-20, 06:27 PM
So like a solo campaign where there's one character that's like level 25 and all foes are CR/level 10 or lower. Furthermore most foes would be below CR/level 5. I'm just wondering how long before that would be boring. I mean I guess that's subjective so I guess this is just an informal pole before I actually plan anything. And as always tips would be helpful.

Well, One Punch Man himself is already bored when the show starts. The humor is less because he's enjoying himself, and more because his antics are fun for other people to watch. That doesn't strike me as great game material - for a good tabletop game, the *players* need to be enjoying themselves.

It could be a funny one-off if the player isn't expecting it. Perhaps you set all these enemies up as really big and impressive and then suddenly have them die messily every time the player attacks them once. Have nobody believe him when he talks about it. And I think the payoff is divergent from OPM: suddenly throwing something at them that ISN'T a pushover at the end and watching them die. The humor is, again, more for you than the player.

Some Android
2018-06-20, 06:55 PM
Well, One Punch Man himself is already bored when the show starts. The humor is less because he's enjoying himself, and more because his antics are fun for other people to watch. That doesn't strike me as great game material - for a good tabletop game, the *players* need to be enjoying themselves.

It could be a funny one-off if the player isn't expecting it. Perhaps you set all these enemies up as really big and impressive and then suddenly have them die messily every time the player attacks them once. Have nobody believe him when he talks about it. And I think the payoff is divergent from OPM: suddenly throwing something at them that ISN'T a pushover at the end and watching them die. The humor is, again, more for you than the player.

You might be right. A one shot could work. Another thing I think this could be entertaining is all of a sudden you're the most powerful being on the planet by a wide a margin. You're basically a god (or at least close enough to a demigod). I mean being a celebrity in a game is king of cool. There's also a Dynasty Warrior aspect to it where you can just mow down hordes of enemies.

Boredom aside, you're still playing a character in this world that's working for something. I mean it might be easy but you are fight against evil and helping others.

Again just spitballing here.

Vogie
2018-06-20, 10:50 PM
As long as no one is playing One Punch Man, it'd be fun.

Being in the OPM world, however, is very TTRPG-esque already. You don't need to supply any cheese to explain why this group of people is getting together and going and fighting things, because in that world there is a literal hero registry that people actively get together and fight for (and against) that is accepted as a normal part of society.

All characters would be more focused on a single aspect or core concept, rather than any type of optimization.

For example, a druid that only uses their Fire-based powers. Doesn't matter that there are only about 5, and they are going Moon Druid so they can turn into a fire elemental at level 10 - the schtick is fire, so they're sticking to it.

That'd be hysterical and I'd love to play it.

Knaight
2018-06-20, 10:58 PM
Breaking out combat mechanics for fights with an inevitable ending baked into the premise is a questionable idea anyways - abstracting that to a combat power that works out to "you win" while focusing on everything else would be a much better fit. This also suggests that you should probably use a system not focused heavily on combat.

Some Android
2018-06-21, 12:52 PM
As long as no one is playing One Punch Man, it'd be fun.

Being in the OPM world, however, is very TTRPG-esque already. You don't need to supply any cheese to explain why this group of people is getting together and going and fighting things, because in that world there is a literal hero registry that people actively get together and fight for (and against) that is accepted as a normal part of society.

All characters would be more focused on a single aspect or core concept, rather than any type of optimization.

For example, a druid that only uses their Fire-based powers. Doesn't matter that there are only about 5, and they are going Moon Druid so they can turn into a fire elemental at level 10 - the schtick is fire, so they're sticking to it.

That'd be hysterical and I'd love to play it.

Do I have a volunteer? Because I was thinking of making a recruitment thread soon and I can leave a spot open for you. I'd be using D&D 3.5 because of familiarity.

Vogie
2018-06-22, 08:36 AM
Do I have a volunteer? Because I was thinking of making a recruitment thread soon and I can leave a spot open for you. I'd be using D&D 3.5 because of familiarity.

I haven't played 3.5 in YEARS, and likely won't have the time to PBP in the next couple months... but maybe one day...

Some Android
2018-06-22, 01:16 PM
I haven't played 3.5 in YEARS, and likely won't have the time to PBP in the next couple months... but maybe one day...

PM me if you every change you mind/have time.