PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Invocations and Pact Prerequisites, Oh My!

unusualsuspect
2018-06-20, 07:37 PM
Hi.

I'm currently considering multiclassing into warlock with a character, and started looking more closely into the build mechanics. I'm particularly looking at the Invocations and spells that are available to me, and how far into Warlock I need to go. These are mostly long-term plans, as I have at least the next 3 levels dedicated to ASIs and Extra Attack from Ranger/Rogue levels.

Given my character (Scout Rogue/Gloomstalker UA Ranger), its safe to say that Devil's Sight and Warlock to 3 for Darkness and Shadow Blade are both solidly planned at this point. That provides two invocations (learned at level 2) and a Pact Boon (learned at level 3). Given the party has 6 people, I've decided to reroute my character towards some utility we've been missing (We just picked up an evocation sorc and a frenzying barbarian, so sacrificing DPS is probably liveable... and I'm still aiming for 3+ sharpshooting hand xbow shots a round, so it won't be terrible either), and for that reason will almost certainly go for Pact of the Tome. That, and I've already got a psuedo-familiar through the homebrew race.

While Warlock to 5 is pretty decent and may well be where I go regardless (nice to upgrade the Shadow Blade from 2d8 to 3d8), I'd also like to expand more into my Ranger and Rogue skillsets if I can. Unfortunately, one of the invocations I was hoping to get was Book of Ancient Secrets, as it can vastly expand my ritual repertoire, but it seems facially to require Warlock 5. Again, not the end of the world, since there's plenty of extremely useful invocations that lack prerequisites.

The odd thing is, I keep seeing people refer to lvl 3 Warlock dips that also provide things like Aspect of the Moon (Pact of the Tome requirement), Improved Pact Weapon (Pact of the Blade), and of course Book of Ancient Secrets (Pact of the Tome).

It's odd, because Warlocks get two Invocation choices at lvl 2. At lvl 2, a Warlock doesn't yet have their Pact Boon. They don't meet the prerequisite for the invocation, so they can't take it at lvl 2. The next Warlock level where you get an Invocation is at lvl 5, so you'd need at least Warlock 5 to gain any of those Invocations.

Have I missed something? Some oddity in the wording, or maybe a Sage Advice that addresses this? Are Warlocks allowed to delay their Invocation choice until they obtain lvl 3 and thereby gain the prerequisite? Do Coffeelocks traditionally use more than Warlock 3?

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-20, 07:44 PM
Each time you gain a new warlock level, you can replace one of your old invocations with a new one.

Kane0
2018-06-20, 07:48 PM
You can swap in Invocation at each level, so you can swap one of your 2nd level choices for one you unlock at 3 from getting your boon.

If you are the designated 'scout' type and you have a party of 6 with most things covered already I'd recommend something thematic, like the vision invocations Devil's sight, Eldritch Sight and Eyes of the Rune Keeper. You miss out on Ghostly Gaze (7th) and Witch Sight (15th) but that's OK.
Otherwise there are plenty of other great invocations like Beguiling Influence, Book of Ancient Secrets, etc

unusualsuspect
2018-06-20, 08:03 PM
Ahah, I WAS blind!

This really opens things up. I'll probably stick with Warlock 3 or 4, now.

Thanks a ton!