PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Air Elemental Familiar Traits

Flimsor
2018-06-20, 08:48 PM
I am looking at getting an air elemental familiar for my wizard, and I ran into a bit of confusion as to what traits it possesses. The description in the DMG says it is of the elemental type, meaning it is "Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning; not subject to critical hits or flanking. This is fewer traits than the elemental type listing in the Monster Manual, which specifies that "An elemental possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry)" an then lists the previous traits plus more. Does that mean that the familiar does not have the additional abilities because they are not listed, or does it mean that it does have them because the DMG entry does not say that it doesn't have them? Specifically, I am trying to figure out whether an elemental familiar would need to eat, sleep, or breathe. If it also has the other traits, then even better.

eggynack
2018-06-20, 09:04 PM
I don't see much cause to think that the elemental type does less here than is typical. It's not like it says the elemental doesn't get the other elemental type stuff.

Nifft
2018-06-20, 09:06 PM
The DMG provided a summary, which was accurate but incomplete.

The MM provides the complete monster text.

Flimsor
2018-06-20, 10:22 PM
Thanks folks! That answered my question!