PDA

View Full Version : Blood Wind Spell

Verlock
2018-06-20, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, I'm having this silly trouble here. A friend once told me that I can't cast spells on myself with target "single creature". Is it true? I'm making a enlightened fist, so blood wind would fit a lot in my dex-based build.

Hiro Quester
2018-06-20, 09:40 PM
No. That is not true. If it were then a caster could not cast Mindblank, or protection from evil on themselves.

Spells with target descriptions like "single creature" or "creature touched" or "one creature" can be cast on the caster or another creature.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-20, 09:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm having this silly trouble here. A friend once told me that I can't cast spells on myself with target "single creature". Is it true? I'm making a enlightened fist, so blood wind would fit a lot in my dex-based build.

Ask yourself this; is the caster in range (duh), is the caster otherwise a valid target for the spell (living creature if the spell requires it, appropriate creature type if any is specified, etc), and is there any language in the description that specifies the caster must target something other than himself (vanishingly rare)?

Unless one of those three questions leads you to conclude the caster can't be targeted, he can. There is no general rule like the one your friend outlined.

Verlock
2018-06-20, 10:04 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses.

Crake
2018-06-21, 02:46 AM
Ask yourself this; is the caster in range (duh), is the caster otherwise a valid target for the spell (living creature if the spell requires it, appropriate creature type if any is specified, etc), and is there any language in the description that specifies the caster must target something other than himself (vanishingly rare)?

Unless one of those three questions leads you to conclude the caster can't be targeted, he can. There is no general rule like the one your friend outlined.

Spells that say "One other creature" aren't actually that rare, but yes, unless the spell specifies the caster cannot be the target, then there's nothing stopping him from targetting himself.

Psyren
2018-06-21, 05:11 PM
You also count as your own ally (some spells use that one.)

Ramza00
2018-06-21, 07:35 PM
Remember Blood Wind makes excellent wands (either with familiars such as a raven or parrot or just wandchamber gloves so you can have free 1st level spell slots for other things).

Furthermore Blood Wind is also an excellent spell to extend (two rounds one swift action, use the other swift action for something like extended wraithstrike 2nd level spell, Spell Compedium.)

Also make sure to Greater Mighty Wallop 3rd Level Spell, Races of the Dragon your unarmed strikes so you can do up to 12d10 damage (12 to 120 average 66) with each unarmed strike, two weapon fighting, or snack kick.