PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Stats-In-Advance for character in the next campaign, what to do with these?

Arkhios
2018-06-21, 01:06 AM
Last time when I was a bit late from schedule, I learned that in the meantime while they were waiting for me to arrive, the other members of the group had rolled stats for their next characters, and I was told to do the same, so I did.

I rolled 15, 13, 12, 11, 10, 7.

Not particularly well, but within standards (4d6b3; reroll the set if the total modifier is +1 or less or if the highest score is 13; As it happens, my total modifier sits at +2, even with that 7 haunting in there).

Anyway, I was also told that players 1 and 2 were planning to make a bard and a rogue, while the third one was waiting for what I'd like to make, but had ideas about a cleric or a fighter, depending on my choice.

Player 3 plays a wizard in our current campaign and I'm playing a hulking melee type "tank". We figured that it would be fair if Player 3 didn't have to make a wizard again.

As to what options are at our disposal, they are quite concise (as you may recall from my previous posts in this sub-forum):

Player's Handbook (3.5), Deities and Demigods (only feats and domains when applicable to Golarion's deities), Expanded Psionics Handbook (everything except the races), the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting (3.5: includes one variant for each class, a few more prestige classes and setting specific feats), Gods and Magic (3.5: includes further information of the deities available, and spells tailored to some deities), and of course the relevant campaign's player's guide (Curse of the Crimson Throne).

I'm quite fine with the idea of playing an arcane caster, but I'd like to make something special and interesting out of it. (Yes, I'm aware that bard is also an arcane caster, but bard's spellcasting is veeeeery limited, and frankly, I don't count a bard to be "enough" as the only arcane caster).

I have no further information as to what the bard and the rogue will be like, but the third player's character will be melee-oriented, regardless of its class.

So, my fellow giants, let's hit our heads together and see what we could make out of those stats above?

Nifft
2018-06-21, 01:18 AM
Oh it's 3.pf -- I could advise you on a 3.5e Wizard using those stats but I dunno what those PF books offer.

You could also be a Druid with those stats, which covers part of the Wizard role (and the Bard covers some of the other part).

Arkhios
2018-06-26, 04:50 AM
Oh it's 3.pf -- I could advise you on a 3.5e Wizard using those stats but I dunno what those PF books offer.

You could also be a Druid with those stats, which covers part of the Wizard role (and the Bard covers some of the other part).

I'm aware of the questionable effectiveness of creating a mystic theurge with only the default rules, and that with my stats, the character might be a bit sub-par in overall power, but how about this:

str 11, dex 10, con 12, int 15, wis 13, cha 7

with druid 3/wizard 3/mystic theurge 10/hierophant 4 I'm able to, eventually, get 16 in both intelligence and wisdom, and I plan to take Craft Wondrous Items, as a wizard specialize in evocation, and take spell focus (and greater) with evocation (it does apply to all evocation spells, not just wizard or druid's), so that in time I will have both int and wis 22, and with spell focus, my save DC's will be equivalent to having a 26 in both ability scores.

Energy Substitution metamagic is also quite must-have, because I love the idea of being able to practically focus on dealing electricity damage with my spells.

Also, with Hierophant's Special Ability (Spell Power) I could mitigate the loss of 3 caster levels from wizard and druid (because, as written, the Spell Power doesn't specify a single caster level, and thus, each individual instance of Spell Power apply (cumulatively) to all caster levels I have.

Let's assume we get to 20th level and leave that out of the discussion.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-26, 05:17 AM
Have you looked at a psion? It's the psionic equivalent of a sorcerer but even more flexible in how it deploys its abilities. The psion/wilder list is really solid and psionic feats are pretty cool. It covers the mage slot in "fighter, thief, mage, and priest" quite handily.

A fair warning though; not the greatest at buffing allies unless you're willing to use a work-around.

Arkhios
2018-06-26, 05:25 AM
Have you looked at a psion? It's the psionic equivalent of a sorcerer but even more flexible in how it deploys its abilities. The psion/wilder list is really solid and psionic feats are pretty cool. It covers the mage slot in "fighter, thief, mage, and priest" quite handily.

A fair warning though; not the greatest at buffing allies unless you're willing to use a work-around.

Yes, I have (just because my signature is 5th-edition related, I'm not new to 3.5). And I did consider making a psion - or more specifically a cerebremancer, but finally decided that I'll try something a bit more "classic" now and postpone further use of psionic classes for a more appropriate campaign later (I know for a fact that the campaign after the one I'm making the character now is perfect for having a psionic character).