PDA

View Full Version : English question: What is the opposite of Finesse in the dnd sense

Myth27
2018-06-21, 10:57 AM
I want to create ranged weapons that allow the character to use strength for attack and damage, so the opposite of finesse. I don’t know how to call this property. Can you give me some suggestions?

Ps Tecnically finesse would work this way already as written but I don’t like to say that a big heavy weapon has the finesse property so I’m looking for another word

Sigreid
2018-06-21, 11:00 AM
I would use heavy, war or brutal. War would be a bit more historical as a war bow was usually a bow designed with a heavier draw, but I like the sound of a Brutal Longbow

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-21, 11:01 AM
Finesse is a property that doesn't need an opposite. It is descriptive, and it represents an exception to the standard need for strength to apply bonuses to hit and damage with a melee weapon. Thus "normal" is the opposite of "finesse" for weapons.

Heavy might be roughly opposite, except I don't think that is what the devs had in mind by making that property a thing. That seems to have been preventing small creatures from using heavy weapons effectively (disadvantage on attack) rather than making a mirror opposite of what finesse does with other weapons.

Pelle
2018-06-21, 11:21 AM
"Mighty"...

Rfkannen
2018-06-21, 11:25 AM
Since finesse really just means with delicacy, my goto would be brutish weaponry.

Bohandas
2018-06-21, 11:31 AM
In the requested contect:

Heavy-handedness, savagery, brutality, brutishness, impetuousness, recklessness

LordEntrails
2018-06-21, 11:40 AM
If you care about history, most of those phrases have specific meaning that are not what you want from previous editions.

The one that has the historical use for what you want it "Mighty" As Pelle says.

TheUser
2018-06-21, 11:47 AM
If it is a ranged weapon that can use either strength or dexterity it is "robust"

If it is a ranged weapon that can only use strength and -not- dexterity (bear in mind melee weapons have no dexterity equivalent to this) it would be "strenuous" or "forceful"
Edit: or a thrown weapon?

Backlash3906
2018-06-21, 11:51 AM
For ranged projectile weapons that have a high degree of kick, such as larger firearms or heavy crossbows, "Braced" I think would work. Probably still less accurate than using Dex though.

smcmike
2018-06-21, 12:05 PM
Yeah, the best answer is “brute” or some derivative thereof. It has strong connotations of not only strength, but lack of finesse or delicacy.

Willie the Duck
2018-06-21, 12:05 PM
"Strength-based?"

Telonius
2018-06-21, 12:12 PM
"Hank's"

(link (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a)) :smallbiggrin:

But yeah, I'd go with either "Mighty" or "Powerful."

Theodoxus
2018-06-21, 12:33 PM
In the PHB, "Ranged" denotes Dex use (and is used on all two-part weapons that have a mechanical device and ammunition), while "Thrown" denotes Str use (and is used on all single-part weapons that don't have additional ammunition - basically, the weapon IS the ammunition)...

If you wanted to make an ammunition throwing device, simply denote the property as 'Thrown'. While it might make you and your players squint at the descriptor - a super heavy longbow "throwing" arrows is weird, right? It's technically correct, as it denotes the use of Strength, not Dexterity, for the controlling attribute.

Pelle
2018-06-21, 12:39 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einar_Thambarskelfir

Desteplo
2018-06-21, 11:55 PM
Finesse already states “strength or “dex”
-darts are ranged weapons so they would only use dex
-but they have finesse so you can use str

Theodoxus
2018-06-22, 07:53 AM
Darts aren't ranged (dex), they're thrown (str). So finesse actually means they can be used with dex.

However, your overall point is still valid... making a ranged weapon finesse would technically allow for the use of strength with it.