PDA

View Full Version : Vash the Stampede build

Aaedimus
2018-06-21, 02:16 PM
How would you build Vash the Stampede in D&D staying true to the soul of the character more than ensuring he gets a gun

GlenSmash!
2018-06-21, 03:10 PM
That's a tough one.

Having a handcrossbow and crossbow expert would be enough to match his gunslinging, but the Angel Arm and his abilities to dodge bullet fire up close could be represented a number of ways.

My gut says Mystic might be a good fit.

Citan
2018-06-21, 03:45 PM
How would you build Vash the Stampede in D&D staying true to the soul of the character more than ensuring he gets a gun
Hi!
Hey, pretty tough challenge, I like it!

Well...
IMO, the main characteristics of Vash are...
- PRESERVE LIFE FIRST!!!! Basically he wants to avoid killing anyone at all costs, even if it endangers (somewhat) his own life, but he takes advantage of his incredible skills to make it a mild risk.
- EXTREME accuracy: the guy could pop guns from a group's hands within a flash.
- Great mobility: because of same reasons of his great accuracy.
- Very intelligent, although it doesn't show off often, but he knows his way around technologies.
- Not charismatic at all, at least in appearance, always playing the fool. He does have a persuasion force though.
- Very wise, he cares about others and usually manages to get their state of mind.

Based on all that...
Attributes: STR is "I don't care", DEX is a must, CON probably average, WIS pretty good, CHA average, INT decent.
I'd say 10 STR, 20 DEX, 12 CON, 12 INT, 14 WIS, 12 CHA.

From what said above, skills should include Persuasion, maybe even Performance (he does tend to distract which improbable tricks or goofin around), Insight, Acrobatics, Perception.

As for features, to translate his skills best, with hand crossbow as close as possible to a handgun, I think the mandatory things are Sharpshooter, Archery Fighting Style, Cunning Action, Disarming Manoeuver.

From all that, I'd go for a level 9 Variant Human (Sharpshooter) starting character with Rogue 2 / Battlemaster 5 / Bard 2, which would evolve towards Mastermind Rogue 5 (mainly for fluff reasons, otherwise Swashbuckler, especially considering his tendency to favor duels) / Battlemaster 12 (mainly to translate as close as possibly his great number of attacks) / Bard 3 (the Fool College or something like that, the UA thing).

The guy basically has a different pace than everyone else, which is a reason for his reflexes.

Aaedimus
2018-06-21, 04:22 PM
How about

Half Elf (with the speed bonus)

Kensai Monk lvl 11
Crossbow and dagger as kensai weapons

Battlemaster lvl 9
(Protection fighter style)
Precise strike
Evade
Disarm
Trip
Reposition ally

Feats:
Mobile
Lucky
Elven Accuracy

Profficiency in:
Acrobatics
Sleight of hand
Insight
Perception

Being that my father was professional magician I can promise you that sleight of hand is a specialized type of performance which is much closer to what he actually does lol