PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on starting cantrips for Variant Human Eldritch Knight Polearm Master

EclipsedVestige
2018-06-21, 02:16 PM
As the title says, I'm looking for some advice on what cantrips I should take.

Here are the details. Our group is starting out at Lvl 3, and none of our characters will know each other ahead of time so I have no clue what the composition of the group will be.

I've been wanting to try out a specific setup for a while, and the fact that we're starting at 3rd level seemed like it would make for the best opportunity to try it out.

I'm going to be running a Variant Human, EK that uses a Glaive. The idea is being able to utilize booming blade with my polearm for battlefield control (and it just seems like it would be cool and fun to try out). From what I've read, in order to make that happen I'll need the Polearm Master, War Caster, and Spell Sniper feats.

My plan is to start out with Polearm Master (1st Level Feat) to be more lethal in melee, then grab War Caster and Spell Sniper at levels 4 and 6. I want to handle it that way, because I'm honestly not sure how long we will be playing (each session is going to be a one shot mission that is given to us by a guild) and our DM will be using a different type of leveling mechanic, where "not everyone in the group needs to be present for every session to gain experience". Considering that, A: Leveling may take longer than normal and B: Depending on how it goes, the whole thing could be over before level 8 or 10.

The character that I've come up with is all about melee and drawing threats to him. My original plan was to take Lightning Lure and Booming Blade. That said, Booming Blade has a range of 5ft until I grab Spell Sniper, which makes it pretty much useless to me at the getgo. I'm also a human...so no darkvision, so I was considering swapping out Booming Blade for Light and then grabbing Booming Blade as the cantrip I'd learn with the Spell Sniper feat.

So...with all of that in mind...

Do you feel that Light would be a waste of a cantrip?

I only get two for a LONG time and if I happen to get a magic item that grants Darkvision, then part of me feels like taking it will have been a waste. BUT, I don't want to be completely blind if nothing like that is ever made available to me (purchasing or as loot).

I guess my other question would be:

What order do you think I should grab War Caster and Spell Sniper in?

I was originally thinking War Caster first, because it would allow me to cast Lightning Lure as an opportunity attack with my 10ft reach and keep the baddies on me instead of allies. If I do that though, it means putting off gaining another cantrip until Lvl 6.

I just don't know if being able to cast Booming Blade as an action by level 4 would be more beneficial, than being able to cast Lightning Lure or one of my 1st Level Spells as an opportunity attack.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys have!

*I realize that this may not be the most efficient or damage intensive build. I'm wanting to play it this way for the fun factor.