PDA

View Full Version : Female Steeder suicide tactic.

Belier
2018-06-21, 07:30 PM
Druid circle of the moon lvl 2.

Cast jump spell.

Would it work?

Leap intently 90x3(270) feet in the air to fall directly to your death taking 27d6 of fall damage?

I'd be expecting 27d6 to average 84.5 damage. Spider has 30 hp, character is expected to have around 15-17 hp, resulting in over 30 hp after falling to 0, plenty to kill.

Is it intent that a player could take serious damage like this from his own abilities?

SpanielBear
2018-06-21, 07:42 PM
I mean, yes? Why not?

Same as if a wizard decided to fireball themselves. Yeah, sure it could kill them.

Not sure why you would do it, though.

I mean in that specific example, you're assuming the spider-druid jumps straight up. If they decided to jump forwards then no falling damage, which seems to be the intent of that combo.

druid91
2018-06-21, 07:45 PM
I mean. It would work. Though falling damage maxes out at 20d6.

Belier
2018-06-21, 07:48 PM
I mean, yes? Why not?

Same as if a wizard decided to fireball themselves. Yeah, sure it could kill them.

Not sure why you would do it, though.

I mean in that specific example, you're assuming the spider-druid jumps straight up. If they decided to jump forwards then no falling damage, which seems to be the intent of that combo.

What I find sad is that per raw you cannot end your movement on another creature's space. Meaning that you cannot intently deal it an epic 27d6 by jumping on it.

As a dm I would totally allow it for epicness however. Especially with the guy killing himself lol. Better hope for a raise dead right after thought.

I mean. It would work. Though falling damage maxes out at 20d6.

I did not know about this limit. Or may be I just don't remember. I'll look it up.

8wGremlin
2018-06-21, 08:22 PM
I don't like it, but Steeders have now been made Monstrosities (Mordenkainen's tome of foes, pg 238) and thus no more druid love...

MaxWilson
2018-06-21, 10:47 PM
Druid circle of the moon lvl 2.

Cast jump spell.

Would it work?

Leap intently 90x3(270) feet in the air to fall directly to your death taking 27d6 of fall damage?

I'd be expecting 27d6 to average 84.5 damage. Spider has 30 hp, character is expected to have around 15-17 hp, resulting in over 30 hp after falling to 0, plenty to kill.

Is it intent that a player could take serious damage like this from his own abilities?

No. Setting aside the fact that Wildshape can't turn you into a Steeder (because you could use Polymorph instead), the math is wrong.

Steeder has Strength 15. High Jump is 3 + Str mod (if you move at least 10' on foot immediately before the jump, otherwise it's halved). That normally gives a 5' jump, which Jump triples to 15'. Extraordinary Leap triples that to 45'.

So you're looking at 4d6 falling damage, not 20d6 and certainly not 27d6.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-22, 08:19 AM
No. Setting aside the fact that Wildshape can't turn you into a Steeder (because you could use Polymorph instead), the math is wrong.

Steeder has Strength 15. High Jump is 3 + Str mod (if you move at least 10' on foot immediately before the jump, otherwise it's halved). That normally gives a 5' jump, which Jump triples to 15'. Extraordinary Leap triples that to 45'.

So you're looking at 4d6 falling damage, not 20d6 and certainly not 27d6.

Female Steeder has a speed of 30'. You can't jump more than your movement allows, so 30', and the 10' of move you need first counts too. Though you can Dash first, to increase your movement.

MaxWilson
2018-06-22, 09:39 AM
Female Steeder has a speed of 30'. You can't jump more than your movement allows, so 30', and the 10' of move you need first counts too. Though you can Dash first, to increase your movement.

In the Steeder's case, it doesn't need to Dash to make its 45' high jump, because Extraordinary Leap means it only has to spend 15' of movement to jump 45'. So it can just move 10', jump 45' high, and then move another 5' and attack or whatever.

But it can't jump 270' high.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-22, 09:45 AM
In the Steeder's case, it doesn't need to Dash to make its 45' high jump, because Extraordinary Leap means it only has to spend 15' of movement to jump 45'. So it can just move 10', jump 45' high, and then move another 5' and attack or whatever.

But it can't jump 270' high.

Ah, I wasn't familiar with the wording on that ability, I don't have MToF yet, I thought it was something like "Steeder can jump 3 times the normal distance".

hymer
2018-06-22, 09:59 AM
I don't like it, but Steeders have now been made Monstrosities (Mordenkainen's tome of foes, pg 238) and thus no more druid love...
Is there any indication that one statblock takes precedence over the other?

JackPhoenix
2018-06-22, 01:07 PM
Is there any indication that one statblock takes precedence over the other?

Well, MToF is newer, and also general "monster manual" instead of one specific adventure.

hymer
2018-06-22, 02:00 PM
Well, MToF is newer, and also general "monster manual" instead of one specific adventure.
I seem to recall specific instructions on this sort of thing for 3.5, but I haven't found any for 5e. Hm, I'll keep the references to steeders in my guide, but maybe I should add a word about monstrosityness.

8wGremlin
2018-06-23, 04:25 AM
Also the wording in the Steeder is that it can use its movement to make a jump of 90'

Aaedimus
2018-06-23, 10:27 AM
I have a friend playing my level 2 shephard druid (who wildshaped into a male strider last session) next Sunday because I'm out of town.

I would be so disappointed if I came back and they were like: "oh yeah man, you jumped to high" instead Of "60 ft jumping is op... can you not use that form???"

Maxilian
2018-06-26, 02:43 PM
I played around with this idea when the Female steeder first came out, but sadly it doesn't work, why? (If you're going with the adventure specific steeder) because it put a hard cap on the steeder (UP TO 90 feet)