PDA

View Full Version : How broken are extra reactions?

Wisefool
2018-06-21, 08:55 PM
Thinking about homebrewing a class centered around being quick on the fly. Call it "Improv Master" or such. Part of the class features would get extra reactions per turn. Bard seemed logical, but I decided to avoid spell casters as most reaction spells are designed around only having one per turn.

I feel Fighter is the best fit with the first extra reaction coming at the 10th level feature and the 18th level capstone being a second extra reaction. A player could MC into Wizard for Shield and become super tanky at Lv. 11 w/ 2 reactions, but lack of spell slots will hamper that build. If they go 5 levels to get Counterspell, they'll lose the 3rd reaction capstone. And while a 2nd Counterspell is a great ace-in-the-hole, it can only be upcasted a max of 2 levels if the MC was split evenly.

Still early in the creative process, so I haven't fleshed out the other class feats. But leaning toward repurposing the Battle Master's reaction maneuvers (Parry/Riposte) for the 3rd level feat, but not sure about introducing superiority dice. Possibly some type of ribbon at 7, then more reaction utility at 15- something similar to Sword Bard's Mobile Flourish.

But if getting multiple reactions is too broken, then it might be best not to dive down this rabbit hole.

MrStabby
2018-06-21, 09:04 PM
Its good but not broken. It really comes down to opportunity cost - what are you giving up for it.

I do think you need to be careful which class you give it to as there are combinations to be wary of:

Sentinel, especially with pole arm master. The effect of the reaction is massive.

Rogue, simply because the massive power of extra sneak attack.

I would put the ability on a ranger or monk for safety. These classes tend to a) be MAD so spending feats to pull this off comes at a higher cost than for a fighter and b) they tend to be better dex focused which makes polearms less attractive (yes monks can get quarterstaves as monk weapons but it is more limited) and c) an archetype focussed on awesome reactions screams a wisdom and dex base class.

Speely
2018-06-21, 09:21 PM
MrStabby pretty much nailed it. Trading something for an extra reaction is fine until you bring certain feats/features into the mix. The analogue I would look at here is Agile Parry (Kensei Monk.) They give up potential damage to gain +2 to AC. It's a very balanced feature.

I would think about doing something similar for an extra reaction. However, I think you could make this a feat any class could take by starting with this one:

Spiteful Skirmishing: You may trade one attack that is part of an Attack action in order to gain an extra Reaction. Alternately, you may also forego a bonus action you could have taken on your turn to gain an extra reaction. You can only gain one extra reaction per round in this fashion, even if you meet the criteria for multiple instances.

It errs on the side of humble, but doesn't break anything (afaik.)

MeeposFire
2018-06-21, 09:22 PM
Tunnel fighter essentially did this with the cost of a fighting style and a bonus action on the turns you want to make use of it. From what I have seen it is considered a bit over the top at least as a fighting style.

On the other side of the coin the cavalier has an ability that lets them get an extra reaction every round (or was it turn hmmm) but it can ONLY be used as an opportunity attack which means you cannot make 2 sentinel attacks per round but you could make a sentinel attack and an opportunity attack in the same round (with some restrictions). As far as I can tell this ability which is part of a sub class is considered fine but useful.

So yea consider what you could be giving up and when you can get the ability. Also consider how you word it to see how it combos with other abilities.

HolyDraconus
2018-06-21, 09:26 PM
Use the marking rules in the dmg. You extra reactions that you have to work for, kinda. It isn't class specific anyway.

MaxWilson
2018-06-21, 10:52 PM
But if getting multiple reactions is too broken, then it might be best not to dive down this rabbit hole.

Apparently WotC doesn't think they're very broken, or Mariliths wouldn't be allowed to hand out demonic boons that give you virtually unlimited reactions for opportunity attacks, one per enemy creature per round, just like UA's Tunnel Fighter.

In this instance WotC is probably right: it's nice but not exactly overpowered in general.

Note also that AD&D allowed unlimited "opportunity attacks" per round, although they weren't called that at the time. Didn't break the game; was barely noticeable in practice.

MeeposFire
2018-06-21, 11:10 PM
Apparently WotC doesn't think they're very broken, or Mariliths wouldn't be allowed to hand out demonic boons that give you virtually unlimited reactions for opportunity attacks, one per enemy creature per round, just like UA's Tunnel Fighter.

In this instance WotC is probably right: it's nice but not exactly overpowered in general.

Note also that AD&D allowed unlimited "opportunity attacks" per round, although they weren't called that at the time. Didn't break the game; was barely noticeable in practice.

Careful you are conflating unlimited opportunity attacks and unlimited reactions they are not the same. In addition if we are going for a historical analysis then you should also include how in 3e getting a bunch of good opportunity attacks was so good it was one of the only ways to make a viable straight fighter build and how in 4e you had 1 opportunity attack per turn and that was not broken but only had one reaction and getting more of those in a round could have been very broken.

Also I believe AD&D did at least eventually give a limit and it was based on level and the warriors got a few more on top of that as well. Still it was probably more than you would ever need in a round and not too many groups I have ever seen used Combat and tactics book so I am not sure how common it was to even use the opportunity attack rules if you even knew of their existence (I am not sure I have even seen it in use honestly though I knew very few groups that used the damage vs larger creature rules either so it could be more prevalent than I give it credit for).

Rusvul
2018-06-21, 11:17 PM
As a general rule, I think giving additional actions is not a good idea.

Action economy is hugely important in D&D. Reactions are less consequential than Actions or Bonus Actions, but... even then, you're opening yourself up to a huge amount of unintended consequences, especially with multiclassing. I would definitely not grant bonus reaction as a level 3 feature--save it for higher levels to avoid Rogues and PAM fighters dipping for it.

I'd put a limit on it: I'm much more wary of unlimited abilities. If you give it a few uses per short (or maybe long?) rest (or uses equal to your Dex modifier) or something, it'll probably be fine. You get some of the "ooh I'm so fast" kind of feeling without opening yourself to nearly as much rules abuse.

Unoriginal
2018-06-22, 03:06 AM
Apparently WotC doesn't think they're very broken, or Mariliths wouldn't be allowed to hand out demonic boons that give you virtually unlimited reactions for opportunity attacks, one per enemy creature per round

One, the Marilith's boon is:

Serpentine Reaction: This creature can take an extra reaction each round, but this reaction can be used only to make an opportunity attack

It gives you one extra reaction for an AoO.

Second, as the book says:

The following entries outline boons that a DM can grant to monsters and NPCs dedicated to a particular demon lord.

The demonic boons aren't designed with "give them to PCs" in mind.

Even if they were designed to be given to PCs, Boons are an added power similar to magic items, while classes and subclasses (like OP wants to homebrew) have to be balanced in their normal capacities.

As a general rule, I think giving additional actions is not a good idea.

Action economy is hugely important in D&D. Reactions are less consequential than Actions or Bonus Actions, but... even then, you're opening yourself up to a huge amount of unintended consequences, especially with multiclassing. I would definitely not grant bonus reaction as a level 3 feature--save it for higher levels to avoid Rogues and PAM fighters dipping for it.

This is very true. I'd say a lvl 6+ feature would be better, myself.

MaxWilson
2018-06-22, 03:11 AM
One, the Marilith's boon is:

It gives you one extra reaction for an AoO.

Oh, you're right, I misread. Once per round, not once per turn. That's a lot more in line with the other boons than I thought.

Unoriginal
2018-06-22, 03:39 AM
Oh, you're right, I misread. Once per round, not once per turn. That's a lot more in line with the other boons than I thought.

Mariliths are awesome, but no one is *that* awesome. It'd be like giving unlimited Legendary actions.

MaxWilson
2018-06-22, 09:36 AM
Mariliths are awesome, but no one is *that* awesome. It'd be like giving unlimited Legendary actions.

Mariliths already have this ability:

"Reactive: The Marilith can take one reaction on every turn in Combat."

It's not nearly as strong as unlimited Legendary actions.