PDA

View Full Version : Evangelist, variant cleric from Dragon

Mike Miller
2018-06-21, 10:25 PM
Issue 311 has this variant. I like it a lot and was wondering if anyone has used one or has any recommendations for building one. The Evangelist has no turn undead (little undead in this campaign anyway) and no spontaneous cure x wounds but casts as a sorcerer. Also gains domain spells as spells known and bonus domains later.

The tricky part is selecting what spells (and domains) to learn. I am used to arcane, not divine.

Psyren
2018-06-22, 12:10 AM
Cleric Handbook (http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php?topic=694.0) can help you pick spells and domains.

Does "casts as a sorcerer" mean you have limited cleric spells known, like a favored soul? One of the strengths of the cleric list is that you can prepare the niche stuff on it only when you need to (particularly during the day in one of your empty slots), like Remove Blindness or Neutralize Poison. So I would consider spontaneous casting to be a bit of a downgrade compared to the regular one myself.

Troacctid
2018-06-22, 01:40 AM
Does "casts as a sorcerer" mean you have limited cleric spells known, like a favored soul? One of the strengths of the cleric list is that you can prepare the niche stuff on it only when you need to (particularly during the day in one of your empty slots), like Remove Blindness or Neutralize Poison. So I would consider spontaneous casting to be a bit of a downgrade compared to the regular one myself.
It does. Base spells known and spells per day are the same as a Sorcerer, but you end up knowing a lot more spells thanks to your domains, which are added on top of your normal known spells. (You also retain the ability to spontaneously cast all Sanctified spells if you are good-aligned.)

Fouredged Sword
2018-06-22, 10:17 AM
There is a spontanoius cleric ACF, I think in unearthed arcana.

It, and likely this ACF set, would be useful for super early entry into Walker in the Waste and being a dry lich at level 11.

Sand+thirst domain and versitile spellcaster + heat endurance qualifies you at level 1.