PDA

View Full Version : One shot question ( New to DMing ) CR Scaling based on LEG item.

Seba
2018-06-22, 01:19 AM
Hey guys I'm hosting a one shot tomorrow for 3 Lvl 7 PC's and I'm giving them all a legendary items and I'd like to scale the CR with that in mind, currently I plan on having 3 encounters that have a CR of 10/11.

Would that CR be sufficient?

Any pointers?

Magzimum
2018-06-22, 01:59 AM
This is very difficult to answer.

My advice is: Give your monsters some backup if necessary. You describe the scene, roll initiative, fight. If the fight is going too quickly, some reinforcements arrive to make it more difficult!

The actual CR for a party scales with player stats and magic items, but also with the experience that players have and the combination of classes/feats.

BloodOgre
2018-06-22, 11:54 AM
It depends on the monsters. Not all CR11s are created equal. For example, my group had no problem with a couple CR7 Cyclops, but two CR5 water elementals had everyone down to their last couple of hitpoints. I think WotC undervalued resistance to non-magical piercing, slashing and bludgeoning attacks, especially since 5e is so stingy on magical weapons (and magic items in general)