PDA

View Full Version : need help with a different path for my character

n00b
2018-06-22, 09:27 AM
Spoilers for 2E Avatar Cycle ahead in case you want to avoid those. :smallsmile: The DM has converted it for 5E.

So we just started a new adventure and I made a Half Drow Divine Soul Sorcerer 3/Celestial Warlock 2. 10 17 18 13 13 19

I read the books 30 years ago but recall very little. Well, the part about magic not functioning correctly escaped my memory. Short story is the DM rolls on a table for results each time you cast a spell. So far I've managed to hit myself and another party member each for over 20 damage, that's on top of spells failing and doing other weird stuff like casting darkness instead.

My question is can I do anything to salvage the character? I thought about waiting it out and taking level 3 in Warlock and going Pact of the Blade and continuing down that path to get Eldritch Smite and Thirsting Blade when I get further levels.

Is there anything I can do to increase my effectiveness? I'm the only pure caster so I'm the only one that doesn't have something to fall back on. The DM has offered to let me remake if I really want to but I'd like to see if there's something I can do to salvage the character. Plus I'm hoping magic use comes back around and I can use the character as intended eventually.

Thanks!

ciarannihill
2018-06-22, 10:17 AM
If your DM is allowing you to make alterations to the character, a slight one I'd recommend is simply rearranging your stats slightly (swapping Strength and Dexterity most likely) and multiclassing into Paladin, this will give you non-magical healing in Lay on Hands, heavier armor to use to help prevent damage and a way to use spell slots offensively without potential backfiring with Divine Smite.

This even works thematically given the Celestial and Divine Soul subclasses you already have, Paladin seems like a natural extension of those in terms of roleplaying as well and being able to use Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite on the same attacks is a really powerful nova turn if you want it.

Just a thought, good luck!

CTurbo
2018-06-22, 02:24 PM
I know NOTHING about Avatar Cycle but it sounds like you need a redo. I agree with Paladin/Bladelock