PDA

View Full Version : One Shot Starting Items

Voltage89
2018-06-22, 04:08 PM
Does anyone have a good method of giving items for one shots? I'm running a one shot at level 10 and I have no clue what I should let them start with.

Temperjoke
2018-06-22, 04:44 PM
Why not let them pick one item each? Maybe put some limits on their options, like no artifacts or legendary items, but otherwise let them pick it. If it's just for a one shot, it won't be a huge deal, and it might help them feel involved more.

thoroughlyS
2018-06-22, 06:16 PM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything has guidelines for how many items a party is expected to encounter over their career, based on the Hoard tables in the Dungeon Master's Guide. It introduces the concept of minor items vs major items in addition to rarity, but don't hold your breath; this basically boils down to impermanent vs permanent items, respectively. A typical party of four 10th level characters should have a total of 7 major uncommon items and 1 major rare item between them. They should also have encountered 16 common, 14 uncommon, 6 rare, and 1 very rare minor items. Considering these include things like potions, I would instead give them 2/5ths of the items they are assumed to encounter over the course of Tier 2: 4 common, 4 uncommon, and 2 rare minor items.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-22, 07:30 PM
DMG p. 38. Just look at the table for the number of items.

Voltage89
2018-06-23, 04:47 PM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything has guidelines for how many items a party is expected to encounter over their career, based on the Hoard tables in the Dungeon Master's Guide. It introduces the concept of minor items vs major items in addition to rarity, but don't hold your breath; this basically boils down to impermanent vs permanent items, respectively. A typical party of four 10th level characters should have a total of 7 major uncommon items and 1 major rare item between them. They should also have encountered 16 common, 14 uncommon, 6 rare, and 1 very rare minor items. Considering these include things like potions, I would instead give them 2/5ths of the items they are assumed to encounter over the course of Tier 2: 4 common, 4 uncommon, and 2 rare minor items.
Are you saying you would give them each that many or in total?

Red Bear
2018-06-23, 05:11 PM
Does anyone have a good method of giving items for one shots? I'm running a one shot at level 10 and I have no clue what I should let them start with.

consumables are much more powerful in one-shots because player will use them without hesitation

thoroughlyS
2018-06-24, 01:09 AM
Are you saying you would give them each that many or in total?
Bolded for emphasis. These numbers are for the party as a whole.