PDA

View Full Version : best sustained damage for longbow

n00b
2018-06-22, 04:59 PM
In light of recent events with my current campaign I'm considering making a new char.

Only restriction is I have to be Half Drow.

Starting level 5, ending around level 14.

What's the best possible sustained damage for a longbow user?

1 uncommon magic item allowed.

Extra utility a bonus!

CTurbo
2018-06-22, 05:05 PM
Hunter Ranger 5/Rogue 15(any)

With Archery, Colossus Slayer, and Sharpshooter of course.

Your first attack would do 1d8+Dex+10 and your second attack would do 2d8+Dex+10 and you'd add all your sneak damage on one of those hits. That's 3d8+7d6+30 per round every round all the time assuming you always hit.

n00b
2018-06-22, 05:08 PM
Hunter Ranger 5/Rogue 15(any)

Starting at level 5 and ending at 14?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-22, 05:11 PM
Battle Master 6/Rogue 8(any) should be good too.

Sharpshooter, Maxed Dex, and an asi to spare. Start BM 6, then go straight rogue.

CTurbo
2018-06-22, 05:15 PM
Alternatively, You could go Hunter Ranger 3/Valor Bard 11

Archery, Colossus Slayer from Ranger. You'd get a second attack, Inspiration dice, and the best Ranger spells like Swift Quiver, Cordon of Arrows, or Lightning Arrow from Bard. With Swift Quiver, You'd make 4 attacks every round. That'd be 5d8+60 per turn assuming 20 Dex and Sharpshooter.

EDIT: Sorry I missed the part about ending at 14

CTurbo
2018-06-22, 05:18 PM
Starting at level 5 and ending at 14?

Start Hunter Ranger 5 and then finish Rogue 9. You could go Scout or Assassin.

You'd be doing a consistent 3d8+30+7d6 every round. I forgot about Hunter's Mark so that adds an extra 1d6 per attack. You'd have 5d6 sneak damage.

You'd get 3 ASIs and that's all you need to max Dex and grab Sharpshooter

Rerem115
2018-06-22, 05:40 PM
In all honesty, if consistent DPS with a longbow is all you're looking for, there are two classes that stand out: Fighter and Ranger.

Fighter--Best choices are Battlemaster and Arcane Archer. Maneuvers are roughly equivalent to Arcane Shots, but the DC for Maneuvers is calculated off your primary stat instead of Int. When it gets right down to it, the determining factor is whether or not you want to have arrows that bypass magical defenses or get a large to-hit bonus to land Sharpshooter more accurately.

Ranger--Now, this is where it gets a bit tricky. If you're going Revised Ranger, go Deep Stalker and multiclass into Rogue after level 8. If you're not, you have a couple more options: Ranger 5 (Hunter, Slayer, or Deep Stalker) into Rogue 9, or Ranger 8 (Slayer or Deep Stalker) into Rogue 6. This gives you all the best Ranger toys, e.g. Hunter's Mark, an archetype feature, and a fighting style (I love the class to death, but it is frontloaded as all get out) and all the shiny things that Rogues get to play with, and in the case of bonus action Hiding and Uncanny Dodge, a couple levels earlier than if you'd stayed full Ranger! More to the point, you do more damage by tacking on Sneak Attack than you do by staying Ranger.

When it comes to deciding between Ranger or Fighter, Ranger has a fair bit more utility, especially in a more exploration focused campaign, but Fighter has better consistent damage, especially after level 11.

MaxWilson
2018-06-22, 05:57 PM
In light of recent events with my current campaign I'm considering making a new char.

Only restriction is I have to be Half Drow.

Starting level 5, ending around level 14.

What's the best possible sustained damage for a longbow user?

1 uncommon magic item allowed.

Extra utility a bonus!

I'd probably just go for an Wood Elf Battlemaster 12/Rogue 2 with Dex 20 + Elven Accuracy + Skulker + Sharpshooter with an Uncommon Longbow +1. Computing the DPR on that guy is kind of complicated due to Skulker and Elven Accuracy, but your first hit on a given turn will do d8+1d6+16 (24) points of damage, and subsequent hits will be d8+16 apiece. You're almost guaranteed to get at least one hit per turn because you roll three dice on every attack until you do hit.

My quick Monte Carlo sim of this guy against an AC 19 Adult Red Dragon over 5 rounds gives him 39-72 damage each round, averaging 55 points of damage each round. I think the true average damage would be closer to 45 but it's hard to analyze precisely.

You're also pretty good in melee, and if you invest your other Expertise in Athletics you're quite good at grappling/shoving prone.

TheUser
2018-06-22, 06:30 PM
Ahaha it's a Blade Singer*
Haste available at level 5
Extra attack at level 6
Simulacrum at level 13

Congrats. You have 6 attacks at level 13.

Degwerks
2018-06-22, 06:31 PM
I would go half-drow Hexblade Blade Pact 12 / Rogue 1 / Fighter 1.
Start fighter for con saves and obvious Archery style. Take Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, Life Drinker and Eldritch Smite invocations. Max Charisma to 20 and Dex to 18.

You'll have 2 attacks per round and can concentrate on Hex for 24 hours at this level. Plus have 2 Eldritch Smites that do 6d8 force damage plus your 1d8 longbow and knocks prone. Any winged flyer is knocked out of the air. In 1 turns attacks you have +1d6 sneak attack, +2d6 Hex, +2d8 bow + 30 damage. No penalties to hit either. Plus you can do additional Hexblade Curse damage and a 19-20 crit range for boss fights and smites.

Take a +1 Rod of the Pact Keeper to recall a spell slot 1/long rest.

If you want to take your chances with Sharpshooter you could drop dex down to 16.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-06-22, 06:42 PM
I notice half the builds here assume spells, maneuver dice, etc. Does "sustainable" mean "without using resources"?

n00b
2018-06-22, 06:55 PM
I notice half the builds here assume spells, maneuver dice, etc. Does "sustainable" mean "without using resources"?

For myself by sustainable I mean in a reasonable amount of time. Say 2 or 3 encounters.

CTurbo
2018-06-22, 08:52 PM
My Ranger/Rogue option is every round

Speely
2018-06-22, 09:12 PM
I am sure there is a better option than 3 attacks w/Colossus Slayer (ignoring Hunter's Mark because of sustainability) but I can't think of it, so...

Battlemaster 11 HunteRanger 3. I feel like a Rogue cannot keep up with Fighter 11 and a level 3 rogue cannot add more to that than a HunteRanger can. 2d6 Once per turn < 1d8 2-3 times per turn.

Variant for the sake of options, and for sustainability even in short-rest-light sessions:

Eladrin Champion 11, HunteRanger 3. This is a weird one, because the real draw is having an ally who can provide Advantage regularly, like a Monk or someone using Faerie Fire.

Elven Accuracy at 8 or 12, depending on scores. Trivantage some Colossus Slayer and Hunter's Mark rolls and all weapon dmg rolls. With 9 rolls, your chance to roll a 19+ skyrockets, which is why Champ. Plus the Eladrin Fey Step options are extremely useful for a ranged attacker, potentially resulting in increased damage and greater survivability.

MaxWilson
2018-06-23, 12:14 AM
Battlemaster 11 HunteRanger 3. I feel like a Rogue cannot keep up with Fighter 11 and a level 3 rogue cannot add more to that than a HunteRanger can. 2d6 Once per turn < 1d8 2-3 times per turn.

Colossus Slayer functions only once per turn. 2d6 once per turn > 1d8 once per turn.

Speely
2018-06-23, 01:32 AM
Colossus Slayer functions only once per turn. 2d6 once per turn > 1d8 once per turn.

My life is a lie and the ranger in my party has been cheating his ass off!

Thanks for this clarification. I stand corrected.

MaxWilson
2018-06-23, 03:46 PM

Just because you have them doesn't mean you have to use them. The Battlemaster 12/Rogue 2 with DPR 50ish against AC 19 doesn't actually use any maneuver dice to achieve that. They're just there for when you want to nova, same as Action Surge. You could change to any other subclass without decreasing the DPR.