PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Ranger/Cleric?

Mercurias
2018-06-22, 05:19 PM
Howdy!

I’m putting together a sheet for a friend’s prospective long-term weekly campaign, and I got it into my head to make a Ranger/Cleric. My friend is basically letting us go with anything we want, since the focus is RP over spreadsheets, but I’d still like to being something useful to the table.

I was thinking of going as a Wood Elf Gloomstalker Ranger 5/War Cleric 15. My thought was that it would start as a straight Ranger until 5 and then graduate to War Cleric, letting the Lv 5 Ranger’s extra attack (3 attacks on first round or when using War Priest) keep up solid damage numbers until his effective caster level catches up and allows for mixing in spells for damage, buffing, and healing while having a lot of choices for using my bonus actions.

Armor would stay at Medium, and the Longbow and rapier (or short sword)/shield would be weapons of choice, with major emphasis on the longbow.

Other than focusing on Dex/Wis with a Minor focus on Con, I’m not sure about stats.

Skill-Wise, I figure first boosting Perception, Survival and Stealth, followed by pumping Insight and maybe one other.

Cantrips I want for Cleric would be something like Guidance, Mending, and Thaumaturgy.

Ranger Spells would probably be Hunter’s Mark, Wild Cunning, Goodberry (or Absorb Elements), and Spike Growth. I would end up with Disguise Self and Rope trick as bonus spells from Gloomstalker.

Is there another way you would go about this?

CTurbo
2018-06-22, 05:55 PM
Rangers and Cleric mesh really well together, but I wouldn't go War. Tempest, Light, or Nature would be much better. The War Priest feature is weak after early levels and quickly gets out shined by Spiritual Weapon.

Gloom Stalker is great if you want to be stealthy, but I'd probably go Hunter for Colossus Slayer which stacks with Divine Strike. Horde Breaker is always great too.