PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Merc Color Guard Help!

TheDapperSapper
2018-06-22, 05:41 PM
Hello all! This is my first post, so please be gentle.

I'm about to start a 8th level game of D&D 5e and had the fun idea of playing a "Color Guard" for our band of Merc's. In essence I am the standard bearer for our misfit band of men for hire, and as such I want to be somewhat inspiring and at the forefront of the battle. Obviously it seems like going at least partially bard would be ideal. I am going to leave it the rest of our group to decide what our standard and Merc groups name will be.

My thoughts so far are that maybe gishing somewhat as fighter would be good, dipping into Battlemaster to get Commanders Strike, for those inspiring moments when I stamp down the flag and urge nearby allies to greater heights.

Swords or Lore seem like the best College options for dipping bard, Swords for some flashy melee abilities, or Lore for a stronger Gish, and the ability to strike fear into our foes.

Lastly I dont see my character as a chief damage dealer for the party. I would prefer him to be more of an enabler for the rest of the party to shine, buffing here, nerfing there, being able to toss in the occasional hit or two for flair. Preferably able to take a few hits if possible.

So far, maybe Battlemaster 5/ Swords Bard 3? Gives me 4 maneuver dice to play with, Bardic Inspiration for either Swords abilities or Inspiring, two attacks, Con save, and bard fluff.

Anyways, Id like some opinions on maybe improving this idea, or going a different class/levels route. Thanks!

JackPhoenix
2018-06-22, 07:14 PM
3 levels of Mastermind rogue instead of the bard give you Help as a bonus action with 30' range, with unlimited use. You'll also get standard Cunning Action for your use, 2d6 sneak attack and expertise.

With 5 levels in fighter (Battlemaster is pretty much given), you'll have 1 feat (2 if vuman). I suggest Inspiring Leader, and of course have a high Cha, temp HP are always welcome. You may also want to pick up Healer to serve as non-magical medic, but it may not fit with the character.

Mercurias
2018-06-23, 05:48 AM
For a support-oriented melee character, I would suggest going Valor Bard over Blade. Valor gives armor, a shield, I believe more martial weapon options, and more ally-supportive uses for your inspiration dice. A two-level dip into Paladin would,give a fighting style and smiting. Smiting suits Valor Bards very well.

Unoriginal
2018-06-23, 06:45 AM
You could just take the Inspiring Leader feat, too.