PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerous Necromancer

MrStabby
2018-06-22, 07:34 PM
I was wondering how viable a necromancy themed sorcerer would be?

Actually what got me started was looking at the death domain for the cleric. A one level dip will let you get the Reaper ability, with this you can pick up toll the dead or some other necromancy cantrip. For toll the dead pick it from the warlock list so you can cast it with charisma (this seems to be one of the few abilities where you learn a spell and it doesn't count as a spell for the class that the ability gives it to). Then you have two choices of necromancy spells to flesh out the list with if you use the divine soul archetype. Essentially it looks a better dip than Warlock (if you can spare the 13 wisdom) to get toll the dead - full spell slot stacking, armour, shield and weapon proficiency (although you could have grabbed hexblade as a warlock and got these) - there are also spells like bless and shield of faith that don't need high wisdom. The question is, does it stack up with just taking warlock levels for the cantrip and can it compete with just using eldritch blast.

If you do get two enemies next to each other then the twinned tolled the dead is brutal, but can't be relied on. Thankfully there are enough cleric spells that I might want to twin so taking that metamagic wouldn't be a waste.

Spectrulus
2018-06-23, 01:10 AM
I have a player doing this right now, and they've had a much easier time. Divine Soul Sorcerer. Worships / powered by Goddess of Death. Full access to all the spells needed right there.