PDA

View Full Version : Fighter skill monkey

RAGE KING!
2007-09-08, 08:01 PM
I want to build a fighter skill monkey.

My main issues are the lack of class skills, (but i believe there is a feat that allows me to gain a bonus to hit while moving and using bardic music so i can multiclass bard and it'll be worth it) and the lack of skill points. High intelligence deals with skill points, and a level of rogue to begin with helps, but now we're looking at what? a Rogue 1/Bard 1/Fighter ? with 18 int? ...no maybe?

Is there a way i could make this work better?

Is there a feat that allows int substitution for attack?

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-08, 08:06 PM
You could try the thug variant (Unearthed Arcana I believe). It replaces your first feat with 4+int skills and an improved skill list.

Sucrose
2007-09-08, 08:07 PM
There's no feat that I know of for intelligence bonus to attack (though you can get it as precision damage with levels in Swashbuckler), but I can think of one thing that will help you beyond all measure: Able Learner, from the Races of Destiny splatbook.

This beautiful little feat makes skills outside your class skill list cost the same as ones inside it! Thus, for the skills you can afford, take one level of rogue, and you're a rogue for life!:smallsmile:

Taking a level in bard may work out all right, since you get many skills from that, and the bardic music'd help make up for the loss of BAB.

I suppose that it depends on where you want to go with this character whether rogue or bard is better.

Other than that...hope for high point buy, I guess.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-08, 08:38 PM
The Changeling Rogue gets 10 skill points a level (Need to be a changeling or doppleganger normally although I don't see why a shapechanger like a hengeyokai wouldn't also qualify they were changed to +0 LA in a Dragon issue).

There is the Ranger or the Urban Ranger variant both with 6 skill points at level 1 which is multiplied by 4 plus you still have +1BAB. Favored Enemy is a strong feat if there is a general monster type you normally encounter.

Personally I find it an odd mechanical nerf that a PC can have Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders which come in different form with different parts and sizes) but humanoids with the same basic form, parts and size are broken down into separate races.

There is the human Able Learner feat all skills are class skills.

The Jack of Trades feat with an intelligence 13+ you can use all skills as if possessing a half rank as trained skills including things like knowledge, profession and other checks you normally can't.

Maybe your DM will let you learn an intelligence based Canny Attack variant of the wisdom based Intuitive Attack with a bonus fighter feat.

The Duelist had Canny Defense which was intelligence based for AC.

Ranger or Urban Ranger - 1 (8 Hit points + Con Mod), Swashbuckler - 3 (Insightful Strike at level - 3), F -2 (D10 and 2 bonus feats), PRCs to taste and purpose.

Sword Sage is nice with good BAB vice best BAB.

DraPrime
2007-09-08, 08:42 PM
I have one solution: Multiclassing

yango
2007-09-08, 08:55 PM
My main issues are the lack of class skills, (but i believe there is a feat that allows me to gain a bonus to hit while moving and using bardic music so i can multiclass bard and it'll be worth it) and the lack of skill points. High intelligence deals with skill points, and a level of rogue to begin with helps, but now we're looking at what? a Rogue 1/Bard 1/Fighter ? with 18 int? ...no maybe?

The Factotum from Dungeonscape could be what you need. Lots of Int synergy, all skills as class skills. Also, the Able Learner feat makes all skills cost 1 skill point, regardless of class/cross-class.

Is there a way i could make this work better?

Unless you're tied down to the Fighter class, I'd recommend a Warblade (lots of Int synergy and better skills) maybe with some Bard levels and the Song of the White Raven feat.

Is there a feat that allows int substitution for attack?

The Factotum, IIRC, does this as well. Swashbuckler adds Int to damage, not attack rolls.

Reel On, Love
2007-09-08, 09:13 PM
What you're looking it is some combination of Rogue and Swashbuckler with the Daring Outlaw feat. Rogue 16/Swashbuckler 4 or vice-versa work (R1/Swash 3/R+3/Swash+11 probably works best for tanking, but you'll want more Rogue if you can't take Able Learner). Adding in a few levels of Fighter for feats (and the Swashbuckler/Fighter multiclass feat in Complete Scoundrel) can help; you can even take Weapon FOcus/Weapon Spec/Melee Weapon Mastery to help your TWF--and you do want TWF.

If you take Able Learner, you can also go Rogue 2/Swordsage whatever or Rogue 1/Psychic Warrior 1/Swordsage whatever. Swordsage has obvious advantages, having 6+INT skill points per level (which you can use to raise rogue skills 1:1 thanks to Able Learner), the ability to get DEX to damage with each hand, and stylish and useful maneuvers, including ones that help you with your roguely duties (such as the Shadow Jaunt line).

Seffbasilisk
2007-09-08, 09:18 PM
There's a Rogue varient that trades sneak attack for fighter feats....

Mike_G
2007-09-08, 09:50 PM
A Fighter-like class with more and better skills, like Swashbuckler or Ranger might be a better way to go. You don't lose any BAB, like you would with multiclassing, and you average more skill points going straight Ranger than you would Fighter/Rogue.

Reel On, Love
2007-09-08, 10:34 PM
A Fighter-like class with more and better skills, like Swashbuckler or Ranger might be a better way to go. You don't lose any BAB, like you would with multiclassing, and you average more skill points going straight Ranger than you would Fighter/Rogue.

Nah, multiclassing Rogue/Swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw or Rogue/Swordsage with Able Learner is better than straight-up Swashbuckler or Ranger.

yango
2007-09-08, 10:35 PM
Nah, multiclassing Rogue/Swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw or Rogue/Swordsage with Able Learner is better than straight-up Swashbuckler or Ranger.

But Ranger/Scout with Swift Hunter IS on par with those two.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-09, 03:47 AM
Assuming you're human, the Human Paragon class gives you a decent 4+int skill points, and lets you pick what you want for your class skills. 3 levels of it gives a +2 BAB, d8 hit dice, a bonus feat, and a free ability increase.