PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Gem Magic

petermcleod117
2018-06-22, 11:24 PM
Hey, I picked up the manual "Spells and Magic" by Bastion Press for it's rune magic system, and it came with an unexpected bonus: Gem Magic. I really like the system; however, I am creating a very real-world based campaign (with magic, 'cause it's still D&D), so I would like there to be some kind of historical precedent for it, much like Astrology, Goetia, Alchemy, and Rune Magic were all magics that people believed existed at one point and further actually practiced to an extent.

So, was there ever an actual culture (pre-modern) that believed that gems had magical properties, or could be used to produce magic-like affects?

If there is none, I'll probably just make an earth-dwelling race which wields it, but I would prefer some kind of precedent if possible

Climowitz
2018-06-22, 11:37 PM
You could take a look at reiki

petermcleod117
2018-06-22, 11:57 PM

what is that?

Talanic
2018-06-23, 04:10 AM
Sorry. I got nothing for direct ideas other than new-age stuff.

But...a work-around suggestion if you want. Take birth stones and link them to astrological signs. That gives you twelve of them at least.

Past that, I kinda suspect that gemstones tended to be kept in the hands of too few people to have folkloric tales spring up about their mystical uses. Individual stones of significance got stories (only curses are coming to mind) but not gems in general, to my knowledge.

I bet there are charts for what stones meant as gifts, a la language of flowers...might want to look for that. Sorting it away from modern jewellers' advertising may be a chore.

Climowitz
2018-06-23, 04:41 AM
They use rock to purge peoples energies. Using the rock's energy

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-23, 08:43 AM
So, was there ever an actual culture (pre-modern) that believed that gems had magical properties, or could be used to produce magic-like affects?
Just google "Magical properties of gemstones" and you will see that there are lots that still believe so today.

Bullet06320
2018-06-23, 09:46 AM
RA Salvatore's Demon War Saga has a decent gem magic system

petermcleod117
2018-06-23, 11:11 PM

that's more of a new-age thing, from my understanding

petermcleod117
2018-06-23, 11:12 PM
Just google "Magical properties of gemstones" and you will see that there are lots that still believe so today.

ok, but who came up with those properties? are they european in origin, or from somewhere else? and during which time period did people start believing in it?

petermcleod117
2018-06-24, 12:30 AM
Sorry. I got nothing for direct ideas other than new-age stuff.

But...a work-around suggestion if you want. Take birth stones and link them to astrological signs. That gives you twelve of them at least.

Past that, I kinda suspect that gemstones tended to be kept in the hands of too few people to have folkloric tales spring up about their mystical uses. Individual stones of significance got stories (only curses are coming to mind) but not gems in general, to my knowledge.

I bet there are charts for what stones meant as gifts, a la language of flowers...might want to look for that. Sorting it away from modern jewellers' advertising may be a chore.

I did some more research, and it turns out that people have associated gemstones with astrology in the east for a long time; on the other hand, gemstones in the west are associated with the 12 months, and the ones with supposedly mystic qualities are those which are supposed to have been on the breatplate of the High Priest of the Temple according to Josephus and Saint Jerome. What I find interesting is that despite the 'church's generally dim view on charms and horoscopes, it seems to have been entirely ok with birthstones precisely because of this connection. Because the Jewel Mage from Spells and Magic uses a combination of gemstones on the list (or at least interchangeably on the list, as the exact combination of gems on the breastplate was very much up for debate) as well as Alchemy, which was likewise church sanctioned (for the most part), it would be a viable character class for members of the church wealthy enough to take up the practice; it would also be viable for Jewish and Hindu characters as well.

thank you for leading me down that rabbit-hole, it was very helpful and informative.

NontheistCleric
2018-06-24, 09:52 AM

what is that?

Reiki doesn't necessarily include rocks. In at least one version, it is done using only the practitioner's body to regulate the flow of energy.

The Random NPC
2018-06-24, 09:16 PM
Wikipedia says that amethysts were used to by the Greeks to prevent intoxication, and by European soldiers to ward off injury. I'm sure that other gems had mystical properties assigned to them, it would be weird if only one rock was magical.

Thurbane
2018-06-24, 09:33 PM
1E DMG had a long list of magical or other qualities ascribed to various gems: these were primarily drawn from real world medieval or ancient beliefs. Also had a similar table for herbs and plants, from memory.

Along with "other tables (http://www.globalnerdy.com/2008/03/05/the-random-harlot-table-from-the-original-dungeon-masters-guide/)" :smallredface:

The 1E DMG was a veritable treasure trove of info, useful and useless alike. As well as being an essential part of playing AD&D, it was almost like some kind of "lunatic's almanac"... :smallcool:

torrasque666
2018-06-24, 09:34 PM

what is that?

... i thought this was referring to the fact that people's energy is purged when the rock exercises its energy on their head.

Saintheart
2018-06-25, 01:23 AM
Looking down the line of crystals rather than gems, it seems they were used as far back as the Sumerians, but it was more of a medicinal property than a religious one as such.

EldritchWeaver
2018-06-25, 05:55 AM
... i thought this was referring to the fact that people's energy is purged when the rock exercises its energy on their head.

I can't help but think of this being an euphemism of "bashing people's head in".:smallbiggrin:

liquidformat
2018-06-25, 10:40 AM
I remember some lore about dragon's hearts becoming a gem stone after they die or something like that? maybe you can run with that idea for magical beasts and dragons?

Also I know the crazy new age triangle and gem people base a lot of their stuff off of eastern medicine and ancient Egypt. I recall with eastern medicine mercury specifically was considered a very incredible and magical substance (though that didn't work out well for many people back then). Also in both ancient china and Europe gold flake, rubies and other precious materials were thought to have special medicinal properties and added into alchemical potions to help with this and that.

Thurbane
2018-06-25, 04:52 PM
1E DMG had a long list of magical or other qualities ascribed to various gems: these were primarily drawn from real world medieval or ancient beliefs.

http://i63.tinypic.com/28ro313.png
http://i63.tinypic.com/25uqy5e.png

petermcleod117
2018-06-26, 11:43 AM
I recall with eastern medicine mercury specifically was considered a very incredible and magical substance

HAAHAHAA YES they believed quicksilver was the key to immortality.

I mean, it was, in a sense, but probably not the one they intended.

petermcleod117
2018-06-26, 03:35 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/28ro313.png
http://i63.tinypic.com/25uqy5e.png

btw, thank you for putting up this list. the table they provided was missing the properties of Agate for some reason.

Bullet06320
2018-06-27, 01:02 AM
theres always 2nd edition Volo's Guide to all things Magical that has a section on gems

and Magic of Faerun has a section on Gems too

Malphegor
2018-06-27, 08:50 AM
Attune Gem

( Magic of Faerūn, p. 21)

[Item Creation]

You can magically imbue gems to hold a spell until triggered. Prerequisite arcane spellcaster level 3rd+, Craft (gemcutting) skill, Intelligence 13+, Benefit You can store an arcane spell in a gem. You must have the spell available to cast (prepared if you must prepare spells; known otherwise) and must provide any material components or focuses the spell requires. If casting the spell would reduce your XP total, you pay the cost upon beginning the attunement in addition to the XP cost for making the attuned gem itself. Likewise, material components are consumed when you begin casting, but focuses are not. (A focus used in attuning a gem can be reused.) The caster level of the spell must be sufficient to cast the spell in question and no higher than your own caster level. A gem can only be attuned with a single spell. The gem must have a minimum value equal to 50 gp per level of the spell to be stored. The base price of an attuned gem (not including the gem's inherent value) is equal to 50 gp per spell level times the caster level. You must spend 1/25 of the base price in XP and use up raw materials costing half this base price. Attunement requires 1 hour plus the spell's normal casting time. The magic gem's market price equals its base price plus its inherent value as a gem. See the Gem Magic section in the previous chapter for the details of attuned gems and gem magic.

This may be of use to you. Pretty much a feat that lets you make cheap one charge 'wands' in the form of magic gems, from the sounds of it.