PDA

View Full Version : ring of spell storing and find familiar- an under-appreciated combination?

Silkensword
2018-06-23, 09:43 AM
So, i'm fairly certain i can cast find familiar into a ring of spell storing, then have my familiar attune to it- and then have THEM cast find familiar from the ring. my familiar now has a familiar. And their familiar will have a familiar also. And so on, and so forth. Any fun ideas for how to destroy the game with this?
also, can I give my party members their own familiars with this? I'm fairly certain I can, but i wanna make sure there isn't some rule i'm overlooking here.
always looking for fun things to do with this in case it works, so feel free to get creative in the replies!!!!

hymer
2018-06-23, 10:29 AM
Why not just take all that money and hire some mercenaries or buy some attack dogs? It seems much simpler. Then you don't have to worry about some familiar high in the chain of command going poof, and the rest of them going rogue on you (r just ignoring you alltogether, as they might). And you don't have to convince the DM to let the familiar cast spells, which could be tricky.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-06-23, 10:31 AM
You'd have to be careful, as if a familiar that's "high" up in the chain (ie. closer to the original familiar) is killed, all of the familiars after that point disappear.

MaxWilson
2018-06-23, 10:43 AM
You'd have to be careful, as if a familiar that's "high" up in the chain (ie. closer to the original familiar) is killed, all of the familiars after that point disappear.

Does a familiar *poof* if its wizard dies? I don't see that in the spell text. Am I overlooking something?

Millstone85
2018-06-23, 11:16 AM
The risk is indeed to see familiars go rogue after their chain of command got cut, which is potentially worse than them going *poof*.

Giving everyone else in the party their own familiar is a better plan.

Aaedimus
2018-06-23, 11:28 AM
Keep in mind, if you torture your DM, he may retaliate

Matrix_Walker
2018-06-23, 11:57 PM
I never did familiars in a chain, but my lore bard with Find Familiar and Find Steed for his magical secrets totally dominates the action economy. My GM lets me wear a curved tube as a necklace, in which my familiar sits. The tube/snake carriage has his ring of spell storing set into it, and the sake is attuned to the ring. (My GM has ruled that the snake can attune to the ring, despite not having digits.)

My bard's Warhorse bounds into battle for an attack, and if successful, a trample. Then my bard casts a spell or shoots his crossbow, and tosses out a bardic inspiration for an ally, then the familiar gets a turn and uses the spells stored in the ring to cast dissonant whispers or healing word as needed.

Gods do I love my bard.

Kaliayev
2018-06-24, 01:35 AM
If you ever come across any shadar-kai, use a bunch of raven familiars to mess with them.

Ganymede
2018-06-24, 11:46 AM
Any fun ideas for how to destroy the game with this?

You could alienate your gamer friends with your behavior and cause them to either remove you from the group for your disruptive actions or cause them to disband altogether. That'll destroy the game, but whether that's "fun" is an open question.

Silkensword
2018-06-24, 12:05 PM
You could alienate your gamer friends with your behavior and cause them to either remove you from the group for your disruptive actions or cause them to disband altogether. That'll destroy the game, but whether that's "fun" is an open question.

Yikes. How needlessly negative. No need to reply further.

Aaedimus
2018-06-24, 01:11 PM
But also possible. Be careful lol

Davrix
2018-06-24, 01:32 PM

A very possible outcome though. Just because you can break the game, doesn't mean you should. Not to mention it feels like a very weak use of a ring of spell storing. The above bard scenario has a much better idea of how to use it with FF. But just remember some groups can be very temperamental when one player starts abusing rules and begins to outshine others. This is in part due to a poor DM policing player shenanigans but also players who should know better from the start :)

Millstone85
2018-06-24, 01:44 PM
A good homebrew might be to say that if your familiar is, say, a raven, it can only summon a raven, and if that raven summons a third one, your character is now considered to have a swarm of ravens (MM p339) as their familiar.

Ganymede
2018-06-24, 02:54 PM

I read this as "Yikes[, I hadn't considered that]. How needlessly negative [to walk down that path]. No need to reply further [as I'll be tabling this idea until further notice]."

To that I say, "Glad I could help!"

Blacky the Blackball
2018-06-24, 04:01 PM
So, i'm fairly certain i can cast find familiar into a ring of spell storing, then have my familiar attune to it- and then have THEM cast find familiar from the ring.

Can familiars actually attune to magic items? This isn't a "gotcha", it's a genuine question.

Lord8Ball
2018-06-24, 06:21 PM
As long as the item doesn't have a restriction such as only (insert class here) can use it then the familiar is able to attune. A good non attuned option for familiars is wands of magic missile since it is not an attack action but a spellcasting action. And then you can have an army of ravens shooting down a swarm of magic bullets at your enemies.

suplee215
2018-06-24, 06:42 PM
I honesty see no point in this other than "Look at how I can mess up the game with this shennigans". At the very least ask your friends/fellow players and especially the DM before trying this. Otherwise said DM is likely to throw 7 wizards true polymorphed into Maraliths after you with 7 legendary magic swords each and their own rings of spell storing with shield and counter spells in there. If this is just a hypothetical "look at this neat way 'RAW' to break the game" then enjoy your free internet cookie and congrats.

Aaedimus
2018-06-24, 06:53 PM
How many gold worth of incense can the local population support? You still need the material component to put it in the ring. And that's a huge time cost as well... 4 castings a day and 40 minutes a day for a swarm of CR 0 creatures, that will go down with a single level 1 spell (thunderwave)

Blacky the Blackball
2018-06-25, 02:20 AM
As long as the item doesn't have a restriction such as only (insert class here) can use it then the familiar is able to attune.

Your answer prompted me to look it up in the DMG for the exact wording, and I was surprised.

The wording is very clear that any creature can attune to an item and gain an "intuitive" knowledge of how to use it. There's not even a requirement for the creature to be intelligent.

Some random animal can find a shiny thing and take it back to its lair, and after paying attention to it for an hour it can be attuned to it and intuitively know how to use it (unless the item requires a command word that the creature is physically incapable of saying).

JoeJ
2018-06-25, 03:03 AM
Your answer prompted me to look it up in the DMG for the exact wording, and I was surprised.

The wording is very clear that any creature can attune to an item and gain an "intuitive" knowledge of how to use it. There's not even a requirement for the creature to be intelligent.

Some random animal can find a shiny thing and take it back to its lair, and after paying attention to it for an hour it can be attuned to it and intuitively know how to use it (unless the item requires a command word that the creature is physically incapable of saying).

That sounds… interesting. <evil DM grin>

Jerrykhor
2018-06-25, 03:33 AM
What's the bloody point? One big area spell and all of them are toast. Plus, don't you need multiple copies of the Ring for that?

Millstone85
2018-06-25, 04:01 AM
Plus, don't you need multiple copies of the Ring for that?If I am reading the item's description correctly, you just need to have your familiar attune to it, then your familiar's familiar attune to it, then your familiar's familiar's familiar attune to it, and so on. You yourself need not attune to the ring to store find familiar into it, but that's still a long process.

MrStabby
2018-06-25, 05:32 AM

Hmm. Maybe a plot for a one off adventure. A rogue wizard has been doing "bad stuff" (not a multiclass), after investigation it turns out to be a magpie that has acquired a ring of spell storing.

dehro
2018-06-25, 07:17 AM
If I am reading the item's description correctly, you just need to have your familiar attune to it, then your familiar's familiar attune to it, then your familiar's familiar's familiar attune to it, and so on. You yourself need not attune to the ring to store find familiar into it, but that's still a long process.

are you saying there's no cap to how many people can attune to an item?
In a non-rulesbound way, my interpretation of attuning to an item is sort of a two way deal.. the wearer sort of sincronises his thoughts with the thing, which in turn does the same with the wearer.. kinda like a bluetooth earbud...I'm surprised the rules don't say something to that same effect.

Millstone85
2018-06-25, 08:10 AM
are you saying there's no cap to how many people can attune to an item?No, I am saying there is no need for a familiar to stay attuned to the ring once it has used it.

RSP
2018-06-25, 12:39 PM
Interestingly, the line “The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell Attack bonus, and Spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell,” could be a stated exception to not needing components from the Magic Items rule of not needing them unless otherwise stated. That is, it may be stating you need to cast the spell using components, as one would normally cast the spell.

Other than that, it may need a DM hand wave for the “A magic item meant to be worn must be donned in the intended fashion: boots go on the feet, gloves on the hands, hats and helmets on the head, and rings on the finger” rule of magic items.

I’d imagine a Chainlock with a Sprite could do this RAW without question, however, other creatures will require a ruling on what counts as a finger. Such as, do a bird’s talons count as fingers, or are they more equivalent to human toes (which RAW aren’t allowed, though I’m not sure many DMs would object to this)? Likewise, cats and rats tend to have “feet and toes” as opposed to “hands and fingers.”