PDA

View Full Version : Armor Check Penalty Reductions

cartejos
2018-06-23, 10:43 AM
Given: Feats don't matter as much as normal
Given: The Character will be using a bastard sword, full plate, and a tower shield

What are the best ways to reduce armor check penalties for both?

Greater Heavy Armor Optimization is a -3 to Full Plate
Mithral is a -3 to both (Steel Tower Shield made Mithral)

That's a 0 ACP on the full plate and a 7 on the tower shield.

In 3.5 is there further ways to mitigate the Tower Shield? Perhaps more ways to reduce them both at once?

Edit 1: X5/Vengeance Knight 10
Masterwork Full Plate
Mithral Tower Shield of Nimbleness
0 ACP except for swimming
Or 1 acp if Nimbleness cannot be put onto shields

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-23, 01:01 PM
Don't forget that Masterwork (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#masterworkArmor)(and by extension all magic) armor and shields have their ACP reduced by 1.

The Nimbleness enhancement (MIC 13) on armor reduces ACP by 2 and increases max dex bonus by 1.

EDIT: The Guerrilla Warrior feat (HoB 97) lessens the ACP on light or medium armor by 1. I had almost discounted this since you are talking full plate, but if you are using mithral full plate I believe that changes it to medium armor.
Also, the Dread Commando PrC (HoB 103) has an ability that lowers ACP by 2 points at 2nd level, and another 2 points at 4th level.

ShurikVch
2018-06-23, 02:15 PM
Vengeance Knight PrC (Champions of Ruin): Armor Training CF will reduce ACP for both armor and shield at the very 1st level by 1 , at 6th level - by 3, and at 10th level - by 5
(Note: this PrC required LE, NE, or LN alignment)

KillianHawkeye
2018-06-23, 04:50 PM
Don't forget that Masterwork (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#masterworkArmor)(and by extension all magic) armor and shields have their ACP reduced by 1.

The adjustments for mithral already include this, because all items made from mithral are automatically masterwork.

Darrin
2018-06-23, 08:00 PM
The adjustments for mithral already include this, because all items made from mithral are automatically masterwork.

I often use darkleaf instead of mithral (cheaper), which doesn't automatically include masterwork quality. So you can pay a little extra for masterwork darkleaf and reduce ACP by 3.

You can also add the Hellforged template (DMGII) to improve the ACP by 1 (minimum -1).

If you add the Nimbleness property on top of that... I think the best you can do is a 6-point reduction.