PDA

View Full Version : PEACH - Telekinetic Sorcerer, Inner Jean-Grey?

Kadesh
2018-06-23, 05:30 PM
Hi, one of my players has approached me in consideration of playing a Telekinetic Character, so we've sat down, and had a think about how they'd like to have her play, and as it's about casting lots of middle level spells, they've decided that they'd like to Sorcerer. We've sat down tonight after a session, and come up with this, and I'd like to see your opinions?

The intention of this is that it sees play up to 13th level, maybe 14th, but we've tentatively included an 18th level ability in there. Their other reference is that they'd likely be taking Eldritch Blast through Magic Initiate.

Telekinetic Sorcerer
1st; When you cast Blade Ward, it has a duration of a number of rounds equal to your Proficiency Modifier.
6th; Haptic Learning; Gain proficiency in any 3 Weapons or Tools of your choice.
14th; Beginning at 14th level, you add your proficiency bonus to all spellcasting ability checks made as a part of the Telekinesis spell. You can take the attack action with an item you are currently manipulating with the Telekinesis spell, using your spellcasting ability modifier instead of the usual ability score on weapons sized appropriately for use with a creature of your current size. You are not proficienct with weapons not sized appropriately. Items using ammunition or similar may only do so should there be a suitable piece of ammunition within 5ft of the item.
18th; Beginning at 18th level, when you cast Telekinesis out of higher level spell slot, you can choose one additional creature or object for each slot level above 5th. You can dictate what effect takes place on a manipulated creature or object seperately. In addition, while you are concentrating on the Telekinesis spell, your concentration can't be broken as a result of taking damage.

Out of interest, what sort of spells should be looked at being picked up for a Telekine like character?
C; Blade Ward, Mage Hand, Mending, Mold Earth
1; Feather Fall, Jump, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield, Catapult, Earth Tremor
2; Cloud of Daggers, Enhance Ability, Gust of Wind, Hold Person, Levitate, Shatter, Earthbind, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Warding Wind
3; Fly, Haste, Slow, Water Walk, Erupting Earth,
4; Stoneskin
5; Animate Objects, Telekinesis, Control Winds
6; Globe of Invulnerability, Move Earth, Investiture of Wind
7; Whirlwind
8; Earthquake,
9; Time Stop

Many of the earthen ones can be replaced with Water based ones I guess when near water, or fire when near fire/lava, I suppose. Thanks for looking :)

clash
2018-06-23, 06:37 PM
Since telekinises is your main thing I would opt for warlock over sorcerer as they get more 5th level spells per day. Thematically it could be a pact with a telekinetic entity ie the Phoenix four jean grey

Vogie
2018-06-25, 08:52 AM
The way I've decided to do a TK is by doing Divine Soul Sorcerer 1 / GOO Chain Warlock X
Choose Chaotic power for Bane, pick Catapult & Shield as your level 1 spells. Refluff Frostbite as a Telekinetic Jab as initial damage cantrip. Favored by the Gods is refluffed as a Telekinetic manipulation, played like the luck that it is. Once you go into warlock, your Eldritch Blasts act as telekinetic projectiles, shown as you starting the fight by dumping marbles/ball bearings on the floor then launching them as "rays" of damage. Once you get to Warlock level 3, Your Imp will stay invisible, acting like an always-on telekinesis directed by your thoughts (via Voice of the Chain Master), using the Help action during combat. You can then pick the actual Telekinesis spell at Warlock level 9.

Segev
2018-06-25, 10:24 AM
The way I've decided to do a TK is by doing Divine Soul Sorcerer 1 / GOO Chain Warlock X
Choose Chaotic power for Bane, pick Catapult & Shield as your level 1 spells. Refluff Frostbite as a Telekinetic Jab as initial damage cantrip. Favored by the Gods is refluffed as a Telekinetic manipulation, played like the luck that it is. Once you go into warlock, your Eldritch Blasts act as telekinetic projectiles, shown as you starting the fight by dumping marbles/ball bearings on the floor then launching them as "rays" of damage. Once you get to Warlock level 3, Your Imp will stay invisible, acting like an always-on telekinesis directed by your thoughts (via Voice of the Chain Master), using the Help action during combat. You can then pick the actual Telekinesis spell at Warlock level 9.

If you start with Warlock 1, then dip Sorc for whatever it is you want out of it, you can take Eldritch Blast as your initial cantrip. The force damage doesn't need to be refluffed to be described as "telekinetic."

Vogie
2018-06-25, 10:34 AM
If you start with Warlock 1, then dip Sorc for whatever it is you want out of it, you can take Eldritch Blast as your initial cantrip. The force damage doesn't need to be refluffed to be described as "telekinetic."

Not if you want Agonizing blast for +cha damage... and Level 3 telekinesis via invisible imp guided by my mind. It's better than waiting until level 9 in any class for the telekinesis spell.

The RAW eldritch blast includes descriptions of purple bolts of power flying from fingers. I refluff it as tossing rocks/ball bearings launched in succession, then each "ray" of EB is a telekinetic projectile. Less raw power, more "Magneto's escape from the glass prison" scene from X-Men 2.

Randomthom
2018-06-25, 11:27 AM
You could take a leaf out of the Arcane Trickster's book by altering the way that Mage Hand works, maybe upping it's range and/or weight carrying capacity in line with level.

I agree that refluffing of EB seems to be a good way to deal with a basic attack, maybe even just making it directly available to your Telekinetic Sorcerer rather than requiring a dip in Warlock or feat. You probably wouldn't even be upsetting balance much given that Sorcerer is slightly on the weak side of the balance scale to begin with.

I'm loving this as a basic concept and might just end up making something like this myself!

Naanomi
2018-06-25, 11:38 AM
Mechanically, Bards work the best with the actual telekenisis spell...

Jack of all Trades adds to the roll; and Glibness is just the best