PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rage monk question

lordorinko
2018-06-23, 06:14 PM
i think it is better to go 5 lvl barbarian (bear totem) and 15 lvl str monk (drunken) since you will have 70 ft movement, rage, damage reduction, free disengage, 5 attack (with fob), 17 ac if you optimize your stats to barb unarmored. 20 lvl monk cant stand to this.

Lunali
2018-06-23, 06:45 PM
A lvl 20 dex monk (drunken) has 5 ft less move, 1 less damage per hit on average, non magical greater invisibility, 3 more attacks on fob, (not sure how you got to 5, should only have 4) AC 20.

Quoxis
2018-06-23, 07:15 PM
Note that features that both classes have (unarmored defense, multiattack) don’t stack.

Potato_Priest
2018-06-23, 07:23 PM
The level 20 monk is also more sustainable, since they get 20 Ki points back every short rest.

Lunali
2018-06-23, 07:25 PM
The level 20 monk is also more sustainable, since they get 20 Ki points back every short rest.

And enough back to burn on invis/DR if they start a fight without any.

bid
2018-06-23, 09:46 PM
Note that features that both classes have (unarmored defense, multiattack) don’t stack.
Worse than that: the second unarmored defense just doesn't exist.

Sorlock Master
2018-06-23, 11:35 PM
4 Barb/16 monk

Lvl 5 Barb ability is extra attack which you get from Monk anyway.

Way of the Long Death grants Temp HP on kills, be the most durable Barb ever.

CTurbo
2018-06-24, 12:03 AM
Totem Barb/Long Death Monk is on my lists of characters to play. Just need some good roles to pull it off like I want. He'll be a Dr Jekyl/Me Hyde kind of character, and definitely nearly impossible to kill. Probably Barb9/Monk11 but may take more Monk levels.

Arkhios
2018-06-24, 01:33 AM
i think it is better to go 5 lvl barbarian (bear totem) and 15 lvl str monk (drunken) since you will have 70 ft movement, rage, damage reduction, free disengage, 5 attack (with fob), 17 ac if you optimize your stats to barb unarmored. 20 lvl monk cant stand to this.

Okay, I see a statement of your opinion, but where's the question?

lordorinko
2018-06-24, 07:54 AM
Okay, I see a statement of your opinion, but where's the question? well the question was if the pure monk can take out this multiclass in a 1v1 situation but i think i got my answer :D

MrStabby
2018-06-24, 03:54 PM
Totem Barb/Long Death Monk is on my lists of characters to play. Just need some good roles to pull it off like I want. He'll be a Dr Jekyl/Me Hyde kind of character, and definitely nearly impossible to kill. Probably Barb9/Monk11 but may take more Monk levels.

I was thinking zealot/long death to be a master of never dying. Either way, could be fun.

Maxilian
2018-06-25, 10:54 AM
My main question is: Why take lvl 5 Barbarian? not like you can stack the Extra Attack from both classes, and the extra 10 feet can be gotten with the lvl 16 ASI and the Feat Mobile (plus the extras the feat give)

Maxilian
2018-06-25, 11:01 AM
I was thinking zealot/long death to be a master of never dying. Either way, could be fun.

What would Zealot add? It won't make you that hard to kill (well i guess you will get the ability to reroll failed saves, but what makes a zealot survive is their lvl 14 ability, and you sadly cannot stack it with the Long Death ability that make it hard to kill, as it require lvl 11).

IMHO the best class combo for this is Druid 9 / 11 Monk Long Death, as you can active the lvl 11 ability of the Monk when you would fall to 0 HP in your Wildshape form, making your Wildshapes more durable.

Unoriginal
2018-06-25, 02:39 PM
well the question was if the pure monk can take out this multiclass in a 1v1 situation but i think i got my answer :D

You know, you ask a lot of questions about PvP, lordorinko. Any reason why?

Arcangel4774
2018-06-25, 04:25 PM
Worse than that: the second unarmored defense just doesn't exist.
Not quite, per a 2016 SA you only benefit from one ac calculation and "if you have access to more than one, you pick which one to use."

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-january-2016

Edit: I stand corrected. I've never thought of multiclassing monk and barb before so the multiclass rule never stuck in my head.

Lunali
2018-06-25, 06:29 PM
Not quite, per a 2016 SA you only benefit from one ac calculation and "if you have access to more than one, you pick which one to use."

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-january-2016

This is true if you have access to more than one form of AC calculation, but in the multiclassing rules you are explicitly not allowed to gain unarmored defense from a second source so you can only use the calculation you get first. (or a different calculation if you acquire one)

bid
2018-06-25, 09:34 PM
This is true if you have access to more than one form of AC calculation, but in the multiclassing rules you are explicitly not allowed to gain unarmored defense from a second source so you can only use the calculation you get first. (or a different calculation if you acquire one)
Yep. Thanks for clearing that up.:smallwink:

lordorinko
2018-06-26, 04:14 AM
You know, you ask a lot of questions about PvP, lordorinko. Any reason why?

I like to optimize characters and i am using a lot of 1v1 fights liek pit fights or arenas in my own campaigns so i want to challenge and surprise my players rather than throwing an 8 lvl barbarian in front of them. I like to hear them say ''damn the monk can also use wild shape?'' or ''oh the fighter can cast fireball?'' so that is the reason why i'm asking a lot about optimization and 1v1 sutiations.

Unoriginal
2018-06-26, 04:26 AM
I like to optimize characters and i am using a lot of 1v1 fights liek pit fights or arenas in my own campaigns so i want to challenge and surprise my players rather than throwing an 8 lvl barbarian in front of them. I like to hear them say ''damn the monk can also use wild shape?'' or ''oh the fighter can cast fireball?'' so that is the reason why i'm asking a lot about optimization and 1v1 sutiations.

Using PC classes for NPCs generally leads to disappointment, especially because it's giving you more work than it's worth.

There is no reason to "optimize" NPCs, you can decide everything about them.

Specter
2018-06-26, 08:55 AM
Definitely Monk 17/Barb 3. Intoxicated Frenzy is too good to pass.

Maxilian
2018-06-26, 09:34 AM

My recommendation, don't use PC classes for NPC, if you want an NPC to have a certain class feel, then just give that NPC statblock a PC class ability (like the spell selection or certain abilities, like the Paladin smite + the fear aura of the conquest subclass, etc...), why? cause if you make it as a PC, there won't be a true way to balance it, just because the game is not balanced for the sake of PVP.

Ninjaed, well it seems i'm the unoriginal.

samcifer
2018-06-26, 03:16 PM
I have an idea for a Tabaxi pc who was a member of a tribe of barbarians who were killed off and left an orphan who was found by a monk. I'd likely only go 1-3 lvls Barbarian (for Totem path resistances) and the rest as monk. As this campaign we roll for stats, it'll depend on what I roll. Might need to go 4 barb and 8 monk for the asis if my current character dies. (we're just short of hitting lv. 12). He'd suffer rages that the monks would help him learn how to control.