PDA

View Full Version : When to SorLock?

Azther
2018-06-23, 09:15 PM
I'm about to enter a game where we'll start at level 4 and I wanna play a Sorcerer, but I feel like some of the Warlock early features are WAY too good to pass. So my question is:

Is it worth it delaying Spell Progression for 2 levels in exchange for -

Eldritch Blast & Toll the Dead,
Agonizing Blast,
Hex,
Hexblade Curse &
Proficiency with Shields, Light and Medium Armor?

XmonkTad
2018-06-23, 10:28 PM
Having the at-will damage from Agonizing Blast alone is a huge benefit. I love the sorceror/warlock multiclass a ton, so I'll recommend going that route. The delayed spell progression is really felt if you have another full arcane caster in the party, especially one that's single classed. But otherwise you really weren't going to have the flexibility to have that many "encounter solving" spells anyway.

Finney
2018-06-23, 11:32 PM
I'm about to enter a game where we'll start at level 4 and I wanna play a Sorcerer, but I feel like some of the Warlock early features are WAY too good to pass. So my question is:

Is it worth it delaying Spell Progression for 2 levels in exchange for -

Eldritch Blast & Toll the Dead,
Agonizing Blast,
Hex,
Hexblade Curse &
Proficiency with Shields, Light and Medium Armor?

Yes, it's worth it. Getting to start at level 4 is a nice boon for this MC combo.

Sorcerer 2, Warlock 2 (with constitution saving throws - you are level 4, so the character started as sorcerer and then dipped into warlock).

This MC combo relies mainly on eldritch blast + quickened eldritch blast for damage, so delaying your spell progression by two levels isn't as painful compared to other MC combos.

Azther
2018-06-23, 11:37 PM
Yes, it's worth it. Getting to start at level 4 is a nice boon for this MC combo.

Sorcerer 2, Warlock 2 (with constitution saving throws - you are level 4, so the character started as sorcerer and then dipped into warlock).

This MC combo relies mainly on eldritch blast + quickened eldritch blast for damage, so delaying your spell progression by two levels isn't as painful compared to other MC combos.

And what's the best choice for Sorcerous Origin? I really like Draconic but I think Shadow might be better mechanically

Malifice
2018-06-23, 11:53 PM

You wont have quickened EB as a 2/2 caster. Plus, quickened EBs cost 2 SP per casting. You'll have enough SP (including burning a slot or two) for around 3 such quickened EBs before you're out of juice.

The big question for the OP is 'how many encounters are you getting in your adventuring days'

Personally I dont see too many Sorlocks (or nova builds) in my games because Im tough on the adventuring day (I aim for 6 or so encounters in an AD as a median). The few Sorlocks I have had, the Players have asked for a rebuild after finding they suck.

Especially at 5th level. Presuming a 6 encounter adventuring day, with 2 short rests, would you rather be:

Sorcerer 3/ Warlock 2 (Enough juice to quicken 2-3 cantrips and you're done)
Warlock 5 (Fireball, EB, Agonizing blast, Hex)
Sorcerer 5 (Fireball, Haste, Twin, Quicken, 4/3/2 spells, 5 SP)

Ive see the Sorlock 2/3 next to the Cleric and Wizard 5 with 3rd level spells looking over at the enviously.

Finney
2018-06-23, 11:54 PM
And what's the best choice for Sorcerous Origin? I really like Draconic but I think Shadow might be better mechanically

The medium armor and shield from the Hexblade dip greatly diminishes the value of Draconic Resilience, so I would also lean towards Shadow for your sorcerous origin.

Divine Soul is also a solid choice, if your party lacks any clerics or druids.

Finney
2018-06-23, 11:57 PM
You wont have quickened EB as a 2/2 caster. Plus, quickened EBs cost 2 SP per casting. You'll have enough SP (including burning a slot or two) for around 3 such quickened EBs before you're out of juice.

He's staring at level 4.

I imagine the game will progress into the upper levels of the second tier or maybe even the third tier where most of his damage will come from EB + quickened EB.

I wasn't suggesting that he would get the full benefit of EB + quickened EB at level 4.

CTurbo
2018-06-24, 04:48 AM
Hexblade/Blade/Stone Sorcerer would be really cool if you want to dabble in melee.

Azther
2018-06-24, 10:27 AM
Just for clarification the game I'll be joining is Curse of Sthrad

Toadkiller
2018-06-24, 01:18 PM
To answer the subject question- when the doctor says you have a cheese deficiency?

I kid, I kid.

More seriously - when there isn’t a warlock in your party. It seriously steps on the uniqueness of a single class warlock.

Anewbys
2018-07-05, 12:45 AM
The medium armor and shield from the Hexblade dip greatly diminishes the value of Draconic Resilience, so I would also lean towards Shadow for your sorcerous origin.

Divine Soul is also a solid choice, if your party lacks any clerics or druids.

Party makeup and character goal will determine whats a good origin choice. I play with my kids, a fighter and an arcane trickster. I prefer to play casters actually started as a wizard but with our lack of healing and their lack of battlefield experience meant I was burning through 2 healing pots a day. Divine soul allowed me to get my caster on and fill our healing void. I plan on adding 3 levels of hexblade (for the armor and shield) I also liked how EB gave me a viable single target attack so I could focus more of my spells on buffing/healing and aoe ( another area my group lacks in ) I plan on going pact of chain and having my 2nd invoc be gift of everliving ones between that and my periapt of wound closure I am hoping to be nigh unkillable short of being one shot. Sorry this got long but again party makeup and character goal will help determine your patron.