PDA

View Full Version : Can these characters survive/thrive?

Yogibear41
2018-06-24, 01:32 AM
Assuming a game difficulty with monsters used as they are from MM (no feat optimization/etc.) and slightly optimized npcs (better than the stat blocks WOTC has but nothing like DMM Persist codzilla or uber chargers) could these two character survive at high levels (Level 15+)

Character 1: Blackguard/Horizon Walker Combo
Character 2: Mystic Ranger with some ACFs(Not Wildshape)

Character Highlights:

The main shtick is that neither has high level spellcasting ability, however neither is just a normal character either.
Both characters have High AC, High Saves, Damage Reduction, Spell Resistance, Regeneration (via trollblooded) Flight, Immunity to fire/poison, and resistances to most other elements.

The blackguard poses: mindsight and Dimension door teleport from Horizon walker along with fatigue immunity from Horizon walker to offset troll blooded, and will likely never fail a Fort save with the Steadfast Determination feat. Also have access to 1/day Greater Teleport from Variant Black Unicorn mount.

The Ranger poses craft wondrous item/create magic arms and armor to make as much of their own equipment as possible, and the magic sensitive reserve feat to duplicate at will Detect magic.

My actual in game experiences above level 10 are rather limited, seeing what people think about the odds these characters have. Will probably have greater than the normal WBL. The main concern that jumps out at me is lack of Dimensional Anchor, but I'm sure there are plenty of others. How/can I cover potential weaknesses using my WBL?
(these characters are not this high of level yet, just seeing if I should change my plans before I level then up that high)

noob
2018-06-24, 05:49 AM
Assuming a game difficulty with monsters used as they are from MM (no feat optimization/etc.) and slightly optimized npcs (better than the stat blocks WOTC has but nothing like DMM Persist codzilla or uber chargers) could these two character survive at high levels (Level 15+)

Character 1: Blackguard/Horizon Walker Combo
Character 2: Mystic Ranger with some ACFs(Not Wildshape)

Character Highlights:

The main shtick is that neither has high level spellcasting ability, however neither is just a normal character either.
Both characters have High AC, High Saves, Damage Reduction, Spell Resistance, Regeneration (via trollblooded) Flight, Immunity to fire/poison, and resistances to most other elements.

The blackguard poses: mindsight and Dimension door teleport from Horizon walker along with fatigue immunity from Horizon walker to offset troll blooded, and will likely never fail a Fort save with the Steadfast Determination feat. Also have access to 1/day Greater Teleport from Variant Black Unicorn mount.

The Ranger poses craft wondrous item/create magic arms and armor to make as much of their own equipment as possible, and the magic sensitive reserve feat to duplicate at will Detect magic.

My actual in game experiences above level 10 are rather limited, seeing what people think about the odds these characters have. Will probably have greater than the normal WBL. The main concern that jumps out at me is lack of Dimensional Anchor, but I'm sure there are plenty of others. How/can I cover potential weaknesses using my WBL?
(these characters are not this high of level yet, just seeing if I should change my plans before I level then up that high)
If you are planning to cheat wbl then just use a lot of scrolls and wands(that you can create yourself if you take a dip in a class making you able to ignore prerequisites) or schemas too to cover up stuff like lacking dimensional anchor.

Elkad
2018-06-24, 07:07 AM
Carry a Binding weapon (+1). Not necessarily on your main weapon. Arrows, dagger, morningstar?

Mind Blank and other SoD resistances will be even more important than usual. When the barbarian gets Dominated in a 6-man party, you can all drop him 5v1, or have one person deal with him (kite him maybe) while the other 4 deal with his controller. With just two of you, and presumably equally strong, a failed save that turns you against one another means one of you is going to die, almost without fail.

You need ways to deal with invisibility, fear, statloss, energy drain, daze, and a whole host of other non-HP effects as well.

What's the plan to deal with an enemy that has a high base fly speed (150' or more)? Bows? Burrow into the ground and wait for him to go away?

Palanan
2018-06-24, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Yogibear41
Blackguard/Horizon Walker Combo

What would the build for this look like?

fallensavior
2018-06-24, 11:50 AM
If you can use Dimensional Agility feats from Pathfinder, Horizon Walker's Dimension Door ability becomes super fun.

Yogibear41
2018-06-24, 12:35 PM
Carry a Binding weapon (+1). Not necessarily on your main weapon. Arrows, dagger, morningstar?

Mind Blank and other SoD resistances will be even more important than usual. When the barbarian gets Dominated in a 6-man party, you can all drop him 5v1, or have one person deal with him (kite him maybe) while the other 4 deal with his controller. With just two of you, and presumably equally strong, a failed save that turns you against one another means one of you is going to die, almost without fail.

You need ways to deal with invisibility, fear, statloss, energy drain, daze, and a whole host of other non-HP effects as well.

What's the plan to deal with an enemy that has a high base fly speed (150' or more)? Bows? Burrow into the ground and wait for him to go away?

Relying on high saves to get me past most status effects, backed up by Resurgence spell from the blackguard, Mindsight/Tremorsense spell for invisibility, maybe the +4 armor enchant to get around negative levels. As for the 150ft fly speed, it depends in what the opponents offensive abilities look like, if it has to come close attack it when it comes into range, if it stays at a distance using spells or something, use a combination of dimension door, regeneration, high saves/SR, and some healing spells to out last its spells per day, if It has unlimited use and can fly that fast best bet might be to just run for it, or use a ranger spell like entangle to try to ground it.

What would the build for this look like?

Technically I'm going to use the Anti-Paladin from one of the quintessential paladins by mongoose, its basically a blackguard without sneak attack, same spell list/spells per day, but does not require any feats to get into. Also gets lay on hands, rebuke undead, some anti-Divine spellcaster abilities, smite good.

Would be something like Anti-Paladin 10/Ranger 4/Horizon Walker 6 at level 20, not in that order though.

If you can use Dimensional Agility feats from Pathfinder, Horizon Walker's Dimension Door ability becomes super fun.

I'll have to look into those, I might be able to use them.