PDA

View Full Version : Support Deleting Replies

lordorinko
2018-06-24, 03:22 AM
Hello everyone! How can i delete my reply in my own thread

Jormengand
2018-06-24, 04:12 AM
Go to edit your post, and then check the "Delete this post in the following manner" box. Then push the "Delete post" button.

I also want you to know that I initially misread the title as "Deleting reptiles" and wondered what in the nine exalted blazes you were on about. :smalltongue:

Razade
2018-06-24, 05:38 AM
Hello everyone! How can i delete my reply in my own thread

You shouldn't delete replies and you can't delete a post if it's the first in a thread.

ufo
2018-06-24, 06:29 AM
You shouldn't delete replies and you can't delete a post if it's the first in a thread.

Honest curiosity, why shouldn't you delete posts? At first I thought you were referring to the rules but I couldn't find anything there, so I'm thinking it's a principle statement (not that that makes it wrong).

Razade
2018-06-24, 06:52 AM
Honest curiosity, why shouldn't you delete posts? At first I thought you were referring to the rules but I couldn't find anything there, so I'm thinking it's a principle statement (not that that makes it wrong).

Last I remember, and I can't find a post from a Mod to quote and I'm not a mod so...ya know. Don't want to shadow mod or anything, they'd rather we not do it.

ufo
2018-06-24, 07:13 AM
Last I remember, and I can't find a post from a Mod to quote and I'm not a mod so...ya know. Don't want to shadow mod or anything, they'd rather we not do it.

That's cool, was just wondering what I'd missed. I can think of a handful good reasons to delete posts (I've certainly written some dumb stuff I should've taken back even though it seemed like a good idea to press "submit reply") but that's from a perspective that's completely ignorant of the technical and moderation side of things :smallbiggrin:

Jormengand
2018-06-24, 09:33 AM
That's cool, was just wondering what I'd missed. I can think of a handful good reasons to delete posts (I've certainly written some dumb stuff I should've taken back even though it seemed like a good idea to press "submit reply") but that's from a perspective that's completely ignorant of the technical and moderation side of things :smallbiggrin:

The essential reason, IIRC, is that it slows the server down for reasons I won't even claim to comprehend. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't ever, but the mods have - again, IIRC - stated a preference for people not doing it.

2D8HP
2018-06-24, 10:39 AM
Deleting posts is easy, especially in mobile mode, just click on the pen symbol to edit your post, and look for the delete option.

What you can't do is delete threads, only the mods can do that.

If you want your thread deleted, moved, or combined with another one then click on the little triangle at the bottom of your first post and send a report to the mods begging them to do what you wish.

AuthorGirl
2018-06-24, 11:05 PM
Go to edit your post, and then check the "Delete this post in the following manner" box. Then push the "Delete post" button.

I also want you to know that I initially misread the title as "Deleting reptiles" and wondered what in the nine exalted blazes you were on about. :smalltongue:

"What in the nine exalted blazes" is a phrase that appeals to me quite strongly (and will probably make its way into my vocabulary). So thank you for that.

Douglas
2018-06-24, 11:40 PM
The essential reason, IIRC, is that it slows the server down for reasons I won't even claim to comprehend. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't ever, but the mods have - again, IIRC - stated a preference for people not doing it.
Rawhide's the only one with the knowledge to give a definitive answer, but I believe the preference is more "don't systematically delete posts on a large scale." If you have a good reason to delete one or two specific posts, then that's not going to meaningfully affect anything. Just don't try deleting a hundred posts or deleting without a reason. And if someone has already responded to you, your reason should be good enough to outweigh making the response make no (or less) sense.