PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wizard Spell Choice Help?

leogobsin
2018-06-24, 03:59 AM
So I'm going to be playing a Mephistopheles Teifling in an Out of the Abyss game pretty soon, probably going School of Invention (if the DM approves it) or Abjuration.
Right now for my starting spells I've got:
1st Level:

Detect Magic
Feather Fall
Find Familiar
Magic Missile
Shield
Tasha's Hideous Laughter

Cantrips:

Ray of Frost
Prestidigitation

And then being a Meph Tiefling gives me Burning Hands 1/day at level 3, Flame Blade 1/day at level 5.
Thoughts? Anything that seems glaringly missing? It's possible we'll be starting higher than level 1, in which case if I go Abjuration I'm def picking up Mage Armor at level 2, whereas if I go Invention Mage Armor becomes marginally useful for me.

Silkensword
2018-06-24, 04:17 AM
Hi Leo, my name is also Leo so i'm inclined to help!!

So, for wizards, I recommend Treantmonk's guide to God Wizardry, as well as Inquisitor Lim's guide to bladesinging- the latter of which is only useful if your DM approves of non-elf bladesingers.

leogobsin
2018-06-24, 05:47 AM
Hi Leo, my name is also Leo so i'm inclined to help!!

So, for wizards, I recommend Treantmonk's guide to God Wizardry, as well as Inquisitor Lim's guide to bladesinging- the latter of which is only useful if your DM approves of non-elf bladesingers.

So I'm definitely not interested in Bladesinger (or at least not enough to petition my DM about non-elf bladesingers) but having read through Treantmonk and a couple other guides think I'm pretty happy with those starting spells.

The thing I'd ask is what's some advice for my 'freebie' spells over the next couple levels? My thoughts are basically: for Abjuration definitely get Mage Armor at level 2, along with Fog Cloud? or maybe Absorb Elements? or Alarm? And if Invention then likely Fog Cloud and Absorb Elements. Then at level 3 I'm pretty set on Web, but for my second maybe Alter Self or Misty Step?
And what about the cantrip I get at 3rd level? I'm thinking Fire Bolt for an alternate damage type and extra range, or Toll the Dead for a different cantrip damage delivery method (WIS save vs atk roll for Ray of Frost), but there's also something to be said for the shenanigans possibility of Shape Water...

Silkensword
2018-06-24, 06:39 AM
Shape water is definitely worth considering for when creating simulacra becomes a possibility, you'll need ice for that after all, and this is just about the easiest way to get it.
Absorb Elements becomes important once you reach the second tier of play at level 5, since at that point, you'll start dealing with a lot more elemental damage.
Misty step, and teleport spells in general, are your swiss army knife. Grappled? misty step. Out of position? misty step. Need to catch up or move over obstacles? May i interest in you a step of the misty type?
If your DM looooves ambushing you, alarm can be good- but you already have find familiar, and can have yours guarding your party.
If you want another damage cantrip- firebolt is tempting with its d10 and 120 feet range, but keep in mind that fire is among the most resisted damage types in the game, something that forces targets to make a saving throw instead could be a worthwhile investment, especially when you run across heavily armored opponents.

Fog cloud has its uses, especially if you fight against a lot of animals and beasts who don't have object permanence, but with it being an OotA adventure, most of the things you'll face will have methods of dealing with conditions in which it is hard to see.

Web is one of my favourite spells. I actually saved my party's life with it in the abyss once... but i don't wanna spoil you with details, but area denial will come in handy for certain.

leogobsin
2018-06-24, 08:15 AM
Ok yeah what I'm thinking is: level 2 if Abjuration: take Mage Armor and Alarm. In this case Alarm I'm mostly taking because it's a Ritual Abjuration spell, allowing me to recharge Arcane Ward without spending spell slots. This is a bit cheesy, I'll admit, but if the DM allows ritual casting during a short rest, I've got time during a short rest to cast Alarm 5 times and restore 10 HP to my Ward.
Level 2 if Invention: take Absorb Elements and... not entirely sure for the second spell. Disguise Self? Charm Person? Fog Cloud? Sleep?
Level 3: Web and Misty Step, Toll the Dead for my new cantrip.

Silkensword
2018-06-24, 08:39 AM
Oh, yeah i hadn't considered the arcane ward, that makes alarm a priority!

sleep is an encounter ender at low levels, but quickly loses any usefulness. only take it if your dm allows you to copy a lot of spells, otherwise you might be better served with something else
charm person is neat if you don't have a party face, disguise self is super useful if the campaign has a lot of social stuff going on!