PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Must have mental illness/phobia, Ideas?

superstrijder15
2018-06-24, 05:08 PM
Essentially, in our upcoming campaign (3.5e) every player must have a mental illness or phobia of some sort. Most player really like the idea but I am not confident in my ability to roleplay something like that at all and unlike most I barely know any applicable mental illnesses. Has anyone got any ideas for how to roleplay things like this?

For reference, I'm playing a Rogue Tiefling with the stats str 13, dex 17, con 14, int 16, wis 13, cha 14

Nifft
2018-06-24, 05:39 PM
Essentially, in our upcoming campaign (3.5e) every player must have a mental illness or phobia of some sort. Most player really like the idea but I am not confident in my ability to roleplay something like that at all and unlike most I barely know any applicable mental illnesses. Has anyone got any ideas for how to roleplay things like this?

For reference, I'm playing a Rogue Tiefling with the stats str 13, dex 17, con 14, int 16, wis 13, cha 14

Put yourself in the role of Director rather than Actor, then act out what you (as Director) decide the character should do.

Do some google work and read up on mental illnesses so you can pick one to portray.

Knaight
2018-06-24, 05:50 PM
Just pick a phobia and make your life easy. You have presumably been afraid at some point in your life, and having some sort of phobia is fairly likely. You just need to switch the fear trigger to something else and you're pretty much good.

Grek
2018-06-24, 05:53 PM
Addiction counts as a mental illness, just so you know. It's also the one most people are familiar with - just have your character develop a drinking problem. Otherwise, a phobia is a fairly relatable and understandable mental illness for most people, as Knaight suggests

The Glyphstone
2018-06-24, 05:56 PM
Also very easy to cheese, if you're the sort of person who would do it. A phobia of left-handed half-Merfolk paladins named Slartibartifast is highly unlikely to impact your character with any frequency.

superstrijder15
2018-06-24, 06:11 PM
Also very easy to cheese, if you're the sort of person who would do it. A phobia of left-handed half-Merfolk paladins named Slartibartifast is highly unlikely to impact your character with any frequency.

Backstory hook: Sudden invasion of left-handed half-Merfolk paladins named after the great merman hero Slartibartifast!

The other suggestions were good too. One interesting roleplaying idea: Athazagoraphobia, the Fear of forgetting. Basically, someone who is afraid of becoming amnesic. Makes a crapton of notes to make sure he doesn't forget anything. And when he finally starts getting better, he starts finding notes he doesn't remember writing...

Andor13
2018-06-24, 07:10 PM
Prosopagnosia could be fun, but an inability to recognize individuals would get rapidly very dangerous in an adventurer.

You presumably don't want something completely crippling like Korsakaff's syndrome.

A Phobia is probably the most playable mental disorder, but also predictable.

You have a couple of ways to approach this. Is your character driven by his condition, or does he strive to overcome it? Is it something that interferes with his chosen occupation, or supports it?

Examples:
Scopophobia is an anxiety disorder characterized by a morbid fear of being seen or stared at by others. Scopophobia can also be associated with a pathological fear of drawing attention to oneself. This could drive your character to become a master of stealth or a cat burglar, or you could try to overcome this fear with brash behavior. (Cue "I'm shy" from Once upon a mattress.)

Sedatephobia (fear of silence) would pretty much limit a rogues options in a lot of circumstances, whereas Sadism or Sociopathy might be a big boon in combat.

Hawkstar
2018-06-24, 07:40 PM
I play all my characters as suffering from crippling social anxiety. Wait, no, that's just the player behind them.

Keltest
2018-06-24, 08:55 PM
Is there a name for a fear of low ceilings? That one seems like it could be fun without being utterly crippling.

Saintheart
2018-06-24, 11:52 PM
Delusions of grandeur, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions) just don't play the rest of the condition that these are often symptoms of. Make it clear to all players before you begin that it's character, not you, who believes literally that they are Kord's avatar in the world, and for bonus points, make sure it's an avatar of whoever the cleric in the party worships.

PastorofMuppets
2018-06-25, 11:23 AM
You could have some fun if your alignment is significantly different from the group and gain Stockholm syndrome. OCD could be an interesting one to RP as well. As the others have said you can’t go wrong with a phobia or irrational fear. The only problem with a fear is that you can effectively eliminate it from the game if you pick something too rare and it seems this is intended to be a major part of the story.

I’d ask the GM just how frequently this is supposed to impact a character if you want some guidance on the level of problem to take. Something severe like paranoia should be avoided no matter what in my opinion, anti party things are rarely fun.

Spore
2018-06-25, 12:33 PM
Prosopagnosia could be fun, but an inability to recognize individuals would get rapidly very dangerous in an adventurer.

Didn't we meet someone like you already? I think there was a NPC with just your stat block down the road, two miles at most. :smallamused:

Delusions of grandeur, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions) just don't play the rest of the condition that these are often symptoms of. Make it clear to all players before you begin that it's character, not you, who believes literally that they are Kord's avatar in the world, and for bonus points, make sure it's an avatar of whoever the cleric in the party worships.

Maybe just a standard psychopath. Adventuring lends yourself to manipulative behavior anyway. Delusions of grandeur (I'm the hero this land needs!) and extremely focussed actions (I need to get that dragon's hoard!) are part of the package.

AceOfFools
2018-06-25, 04:25 PM
Dyslexia might also be relatively easy to roleplay.

Nargrakhan
2018-06-25, 04:37 PM
What alignment are you?

There's always Yandere:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Yandere

Pick a senpai to love. Havoc ensues if senpai doesn't notice you. :smallamused:

Karl Aegis
2018-06-25, 04:40 PM
An irrational fear of slime, mold and fungus. Make it interesting.

Mr Beer
2018-06-25, 06:51 PM
Pyromania, because lighting fires makes any situation more interesting.

Split-personality disorder could be fun, invent a personality of the week, change every episode. Silver age superhero heroic one week, Marvin the Paranoid Android the next, then Roger Irrelevant, then Pennywise the Clown...plan half a dozen in advance.

I feel like a lot of murderhobos are basically serial killers anyway so that's a surprisingly dull choice. So are things like sociopathy and narcissism, many characters have low empathy and selfishness dialled in.

Personification
2018-06-25, 08:45 PM

Split-personality disorder could be fun, invent a personality of the week, change every episode. Silver age superhero heroic one week, Marvin the Paranoid Android the next, then Roger Irrelevant, then Pennywise the Clown...plan half a dozen in advance.

I feel like a lot of murderhobos are basically serial killers anyway so that's a surprisingly dull choice. So are things like sociopathy and narcissism, many characters have low empathy and selfishness dialled in.

I would like to point out that while this might be fun, it could get annoying, and is also completely unrelated to the actual dissociative identity disorder (the medical term for "split-personality disorder"), and while it makes for an interesting concept, this kind of misunderstanding of real psychological disorders in fiction and creates stigmas and ignorance in the real world. (Sorry for the mini-PSA, I just dislike misinformation generally, but it is especially a problem when it can effect how people perceive others, and even if this wouldn't have any actual effect on anyone's perceptions, better safe than sorry.)

But to the OP, I liked your idea of the fear of forgetting, especially because it can be abused really creepily by the DM, but not in such a way that it completely cripples your character (for how this could be done see the Silence (or possibly Silents, I'm not sure) from Doctor Who). I also liked Andor13's idea of Scopophobia, as it fits the character (rogues are sneaky, and it could have been caused by past trauma relating to anti-tiefling bigotry).

Mr Beer
2018-06-25, 09:00 PM
I would like to point out that while this might be fun, it could get annoying, and is also completely unrelated to the actual dissociative identity disorder (the medical term for "split-personality disorder"), and while it makes for an interesting concept, this kind of misunderstanding of real psychological disorders in fiction and creates stigmas and ignorance in the real world. (Sorry for the mini-PSA, I just dislike misinformation generally, but it is especially a problem when it can effect how people perceive others, and even if this wouldn't have any actual effect on anyone's perceptions, better safe than sorry.)

Yeah, this is all campaign dependant. My guess is that a D&D game where everyone has a mental illness isn't intended to be an accurate portrayal of what it looks like when a bunch of people with mental illnesses get together in one place and interact.

From my brief experiences of visiting my father in various institutions, I think that would be a tragically sad and unhappy game. He suffered from bipolar disorder, now if someone was going to play a 'bipolar' character in an RPG, that might typically be depicted as someone who is inappropriately bouncy one minute and much like Eeyore the next.

They'd probably skip over the issues of 'how is the mother going to cope with 3 kids on her own?' and 'how does it affect an 8 year old to see their father raving insanely while literally foaming at the mouth?'.

So what I'm saying is that it's very challenging, probably not possible with most groups and unlikely to make an enjoyable game to shoot for a realistic depiction of mental illness.

I'd recommend the fun Hollywood versions.

Knaight
2018-06-25, 09:39 PM
Yeah, this is all campaign dependant. My guess is that a D&D game where everyone has a mental illness isn't intended to be an accurate portrayal of what it looks like when a bunch of people with mental illnesses get together in one place and interact.

From my brief experiences of visiting my father in various institutions, I think that would be a tragically sad and unhappy game. He suffered from bipolar disorder, now if someone was going to play a 'bipolar' character in an RPG, that might typically be depicted as someone who is inappropriately bouncy one minute and much like Eeyore the next.

This isn't the only accurate portrayal though - severity varies highly, and anyone who's been in and out of multiple institutions has pretty severe mental illness. A bunch of people with mental illness getting together in one place an interacting can also look just like a bunch of people without mental illness socializing.

Mr Beer
2018-06-25, 11:29 PM
This isn't the only accurate portrayal though - severity varies highly, and anyone who's been in and out of multiple institutions has pretty severe mental illness. A bunch of people with mental illness getting together in one place an interacting can also look just like a bunch of people without mental illness socializing.

OK that's true. I mean you could, for example, accurately roleplay some forms of depression by behaving like a completely normal person who doesn't talk about how much it sucks be down a lot of the time. I guess I was assuming that most players would go for something obvious and colourful. I agree that plenty of mentally ill people can 'pass', even ones who are actually in an institution right now can often seem normal for extended periods of time.

BlizzardSucks80
2018-06-26, 02:02 AM
Are all the player characters going to meet in an insane asylum or something?

Misereor
2018-06-26, 02:49 AM
Backstory hook: Sudden invasion of left-handed half-Merfolk paladins named after the great merman hero Slartibartifast!

In our teenage years, one of my players created his own character class, using the rules in the 2nd ed. AD&D DMG. He had some points left over that he didn't know what to do with, and ended up spending them on "+2 Save vs being hit by flowerpot on rainy Thursday". Naturally, their arch nemesis for that campaign became an insane horticulturalist, with the specialty of summoning animated construct: (flowerpot), a penchant for weather control, and some religious justification for conducting his evil plans for world conquest on Thursdays.

@subject of thread
This page has some nice phobias:
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2017/07/10/fictional-phobias/

I particularly like Luposlipahobia; the fear of being poursued by Timber Wolves around a kitchen table, while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor.

hymer
2018-06-26, 02:56 AM
I particularly like Luposlipahobia; the fear of being poursued by Timber Wolves around a kitchen table, while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor.
That does sound pretty frightening. Those wolves could have fleas.

BBQ Pork
2018-06-26, 08:52 AM
I'm writing up a backup character who talks to himself, and then answers himself. Pretty much ripped off from Barry, on Archer.

Jay R
2018-06-26, 11:05 AM
Fear of strangers for a rogue. Fear of magic for a fighter, etc.

Friv
2018-06-26, 11:11 AM
I'm going to say that subtle is the way to go here.

What about Geshwind Syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geschwind_syndrome), especially manifested through hyperreligiousity? Choose a god for whom stealing is a holy sacrament, and be obsessively devout. Spend time very carefully documenting your adventures every night, while the spellcasters are meditating, and be good at paying close attention in long conversations. Get really edgy and itchy when you can't write things down at night, and get mad at people who insult your religious choices.

It's something that is a mental illness, but won't substantially interfere with adventuring, and it's not something other players are likely to have thought of?

NecroDancer
2018-06-26, 11:54 AM
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia Is a good choice, just hope no one asks you what your phobia is called.

Personification
2018-06-26, 01:41 PM
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia Is a good choice, just hope no one asks you what your phobia is called.

You have a fear of 1 and a half foot monster river horses?

MagneticKitty
2018-06-26, 02:11 PM
Play a kenku they come with them.
Kenku's lack of creativity and speech.
Lizardfolk comes with sociopathy (inability to empathize)

Or play an outlander raised by wolf type.

Or play a werewolf with anger management issues (path of Lycan blood hunter)

Or play a merfolk whos afraid of drowning / the water. He's adopted.

MrSandman
2018-06-26, 02:30 PM
You have a fear of 1 and a half foot monster river horses?

Nope, it's fear of long words.

Personification
2018-06-26, 03:07 PM
Nope, it's fear of long words.

Wouldn't that be sesquipedalialoquaphobia?

MrSandman
2018-06-26, 03:18 PM

I think the form would be sesquipedalophobia. The hippopotomonstro is added to emphasise the length of the words feared.

Xuc Xac
2018-06-26, 03:20 PM

They stuck the "hippopotamus" in there to make the word really long. Kind of a jerk move by the psychologists. If "arachnophobia" were named in the smart phone era, they probably would have put a spider emoji in the name.

Personification
2018-06-26, 05:16 PM
I think the form would be sesquipedalophobia. The hippopotomonstro is added to emphasise the length of the words feared.

Actually, sesquipedalophobia would be the fear of 1 and a half feet. Sesquipedalian is associated with long words because a "sesquipedalian" word written out would be one and a half feet long.

MrSandman
2018-06-27, 01:59 PM
Actually, sesquipedalophobia would be the fear of 1 and a half feet. Sesquipedalian is associated with long words because a "sesquipedalian" word written out would be one and a half feet long.

I'm no expert on mental issues, but wiktionary says that sesquipedalophobia is fear of long words. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sesquipedalophobia#English

And so says this website about phobias: http://common-phobias.com/sesquipedalo/phobia.htm

Misereor
2018-06-28, 05:01 AM
That does sound pretty frightening. Those wolves could have fleas.

I think that would be Lupopsylloslipahobia?

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-06-28, 05:56 AM
They stuck the "hippopotamus" in there to make the word really long. Kind of a jerk move by the psychologists.

Similar to how people who stutter can't pronounce the word stuttering and how people who are dyslectic have problems spelling the word dyslexia. The term afasia for being unable to make sense of language and weird words in particular also sort of counts, though they could have put a few extra y's in there just for the kicks of it.

If you're uncomfortable with your ability to portray a legitimate mental illness you could make one up. There's probably a small group of people who actually have something very similar to what you decide on, but at least you didn't do it on purpose and you probably don't know anyone who knows someone like that.

A good example would be angoraphobia (emphasis on that first n): the fear of (overly) fluffy animals. It kind of works for a rogue too. It's not something you don't encounter at all during an adventure, but it's not too likely to show up when the chips are down and you're soloing down a chimney to steal the lord's master key, in contrast to say the (real) conditions of arachnaphobia (spiders), or mysophobia (dirtyness and infection risks).

It does mean you will be fighting some flavor of really fluffy dragon at some point, maybe a luck dragon from The Neverending Story, possibly flanked by plushy owlbears.

hymer
2018-06-28, 10:05 AM
I think that would be Lupopsylloslipahobia?
What's the fear of pig Latin?

Nifft
2018-06-28, 10:33 AM
What's the fear of pig Latin?

Technically it's Obia-fay.

Misereor
2018-06-28, 12:53 PM
Technically it's Obia-fay.

Pig Latin Greek?

GungHo
2018-06-29, 07:25 AM
Fear of loss of agency through capricious mandates.

Guizonde
2018-06-29, 07:55 AM
to answer op's question: i am a disabled person, suffering from a hell of a lot of mental disorders. before you call me out on that (thanks, tumblr) know that there is something called comorbidity (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comorbidity). you can be perfectly fine but have an irrational fear of spiders (arachnophobia) which is pretty debilitating in itself. i suffer from cynophobia. i hate dogs, and always imagine them about twice the size they actually are in my mind's eye. it gets really bad. here's where things get interesting: i developped cynophobia as a kid when i was attacked by an overly enthusiastic st. bernard. from there, it developped my fear instincts, leading me to develop clinical paranoia and that is no fun at all.

paranoia in a roleplaying sense is a boon, since you're always on your toes. in real life, it means you second-guess everything: is that hallway empty? are the people laughing with me or at me? you get the idea. you learn to live with it. but comorbidity kicks in again! due to never being sure if i'm safe or not, it led to major episodes of depression.

now, am i paranoid, depressed, phobic? yes and no, since all those are to intimately linked to be clear-cut. that's mental illness and it's a hellish rabbit hole.

for all intents and purposes, i'd suggest you do what i do. i roleplay to learn to live with my disability. i'm borderline sociopathic as it is, so playing pretend helps me rehearse human interaction. if you need something that's easy to do, play an anti-hero suffering from borderline personality disorder and have them go from "hero complex" to "depressed" to "properly paranoid" to "excessively angry" based on the circumstance. it'll be tough and get you into a lot of trouble with the authorities, but you're a rogue already, their job is to occasionnally throw caution to the winds in the first place.

also, delusions of grandeur is awesome to roleplay. that's my inquisitor's current shtick. he's got a cocky streak a mile-wide and has absolute disregard for his own safety. he's been set on fire so many times he's developped a dr to fire damage, he's been eaten by dragons (twice), beaten by treefolk, licked by owl bears, shot at during a glorious charge, and used as an improvised weapon by the team's paladin. he's also indirectly responsible for about a third of the team's current predicaments. namely, going whistling into the mouth of hell. my group knows what i'm doing, since i explained it in session zero, and they're just glad i didn't rp my crippling paranoia that they've seen me suffer from for years.

most importantly, i know you don't want to offend anyone, and i find it really cool that your team wants to do that. just don't take it as a cartoon version of mental illness. we may be crazy, we are pretty lucid. i grants few boons, and a lot of disadvantages. i'd suggest you look at ffg's warhammer fantasy roleplay and dark heresy's rules for insanities to help you roleplay correctly with a disadvantage. pyromania is a curse, but so is being a kleptomaniac (compulsive theft). who knows, they've got some good ones in the two books i mentionned, maybe that'll help you as well.

good luck.

superstrijder15
2018-06-29, 05:44 PM
Hmm, seems like I don't yet have 'Getting notifications' down as well as I thought. Thanks for all the responses guys!

Examples:
Scopophobia is an anxiety disorder characterized by a morbid fear of being seen or stared at by others. Scopophobia can also be associated with a pathological fear of drawing attention to oneself. This could drive your character to become a master of stealth or a cat burglar, or you could try to overcome this fear with brash behavior. (Cue "I'm shy" from Once upon a mattress.)
This one seems very fun.

An irrational fear of slime, mold and fungus. Make it interesting.
I guess the adventuring lifestyle is exposure therapy from a very enthousiast therapist

Pyromania would probably get boring quickly, I just feel like there is less development or plotrelevance possible...
I'm having trouble with one character idea, and you suggest I get the idea of having tons of ideas?

Are all the player characters going to meet in an insane asylum or something?
We will meet in a support group kinda setting

paranoia in a roleplaying sense is a boon, since you're always on your toes. in real life, it means you second-guess everything: is that hallway empty? are the people laughing with me or at me? you get the idea. you learn to live with it. but comorbidity kicks in again! due to never being sure if i'm safe or not, it led to major episodes of depression.
Good point on how some things which are bad IRL can be useful In-game, and the other way around.

for all intents and purposes, i'd suggest you do what i do. i roleplay to learn to live with my disability. i'm borderline sociopathic as it is, so playing pretend helps me rehearse human interaction.
Me too! Well okay, my clinical diagnosis is Aspergers' syndrome, but things like playing D&D can really help understand how people tick.

most importantly, i know you don't want to offend anyone, and i find it really cool that your team wants to do that. just don't take it as a cartoon version of mental illness. we may be crazy, we are pretty lucid. i grants few boons, and a lot of disadvantages.

Ooh I know that! I absorb knowledge like a sponge, but only that knowledge which interests me, and in those fields my teachers couldn't get me enough material. But in the meantime socially I was behind massively. Most my friends are 2-3 years lower than me in school simply because I fit with that age group on a social level.
Most others in this group also have, so to say, 'special conditions'. Bipolar, ME, more Assburgers and the chronic disability to hand in work in time being among those represented, and knowing them I expect a very roleplay oriented group.

good luck.
To you as well kind sir/ma'am

Mister Tom
2018-06-30, 04:39 PM
Might or might not fit in with your campaign, but why not a character who faints at the sight of blood?

Mr Beer
2018-06-30, 04:47 PM
I'm having trouble with one character idea, and you suggest I get the idea of having tons of ideas?

Well I suggested a concept and gave you five examples to start with...you don't have to like the idea but it's kind of a weird complaint man.

Braininthejar2
2018-06-30, 05:33 PM
First rule, don't RP any disorder you actually have - that gets creepy really fast.

For a rogue, a paranoia might be a good thematic pick (also kind of justified if you're adventuring with a bunch of crazy people)

Xyzzt
2018-07-01, 11:44 AM
In my last D&D game I played a compulsive hoarder with flashes of paranoia and a pretty bad case of kleptomania. Or maybe I was just playing a D&D character. :smalltongue:

MrSandman
2018-07-01, 01:14 PM
In my last D&D game I played a compulsive hoarder with flashes of paranoia and a pretty bad case of kleptomania. Or maybe I was just playing a D&D character. :smalltongue:

That depends, had he also anger management issues, some degree of sociopathy, and murder instincts?

Guizonde
2018-07-01, 03:48 PM
That depends, had he also anger management issues, some degree of sociopathy, and murder instincts?

wouldn't that make him your bog-standard nerd/ neckbeard?

superstrijder15
2018-07-01, 04:29 PM
Well I suggested a concept and gave you five examples to start with...you don't have to like the idea but it's kind of a weird complaint man.
It was meant as a joke, sorry if I'm bad at getting emotion across in text. Does this help: :( <-- Me sad now

First rule, don't RP any disorder you actually have - that gets creepy really fast.
I wouldn't...
Purposely.
Mainly, the way I am reflects at least a little into my character. I find it hard to roleplay more charismatic than I am, or more intelligent, without help of others, and I just have difficulty with being to evil because I just don't like being so, at least on purpose (although if I ever do participate in an evil campaign the guides here will really help)

Psikerlord
2018-07-01, 05:34 PM
1d20 MADNESS TRAIT
1 “Do not be alarmed. The tremors and flashbacks come upon me every nightfall. They will subside by the morning.”
2 “Something sinister is following us. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of it from the corner of my eye.”
3 “Have no fear, my friend. I am the greatest warrior that ever lived. There is no foe we cannot overcome.”
4 “I must close every door I walk through. It keeps the Old One at bay.”
5 “This is no ordinary spider web. It is an ill omen. Five trapped insects struggling to be free, just as we five are trapped here in this forsaken ruin! We must turn back before it is too late.”
6 “My apologies, please forgive my laughter. In recent times my sense of levity has become skewed. I understand this is a very serious situation. Do continue.”
7 “I cannot abide the smell of beastmen any longer! The stink makes me wretch. I must leave this place or cut off my nose.”
8 “I can’t put my finger on it, but ever since [insert event] there has been something very wrong with [insert ally name]. Keep a close eye, sister.”
9 “I grow weary of being exploited and taken advantage of all the time. From now on, I give the orders round here.”
10 “Who is this burly dwarf with the broad axe? I think I would remember her if she were our ally as you claim. What sorcery is this? Who are you, wench!?”
11 “On occasion I lose the power of speech. Sometimes for days. They say I am cursed, or mad. Perhaps I am. But there is a secret in the silence, and I will be the one to uncover it.”
12 “If I draw my sword, one of us must die. Such is the price that the Blood God demands. I dare not disobey.”
13 “It is a curious thing, but the more I lie and exaggerate, the more others respect me.”
14 “The more people I meet, the more I care only for myself.”
15 “I keep my dear friend’s ear with me always. As long as I have it, I know he can still hear me.”
16 “I don’t feel anything anymore. Not since [insert event].”
17 “Can you not see her? The cloaked woman in the shadow of the trees? Is she saying something, I can’t make it out?”
18 “Bloodshed unleashes the demon within me. Keep well clear and loose the nets if I cannot shake the bloodlust once the last of our foes is dead.”
19 “Sometimes I black out and wake up elsewhere, with no memory of how I got there.”
20 “I am whispering because even here they are likely listening. You would be wise to do the same.”

Psikerlord
2018-07-01, 05:37 PM
I prefer to use a few sentences to describe the madness involved, as opposed to psychiatric labels. Examples below.

1d20 MADNESS TRAIT
1 “Do not be alarmed. The tremors and flashbacks come upon me every nightfall. They will subside by the morning.”
2 “Something sinister is following us. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of it from the corner of my eye.”
3 “Have no fear, my friend. I am the greatest warrior that ever lived. There is no foe we cannot overcome.”
4 “I must close every door I walk through. It keeps the Old One at bay.”
5 “This is no ordinary spider web. It is an ill omen. Five trapped insects struggling to be free, just as we five are trapped here in this forsaken ruin! We must turn back before it is too late.”
6 “My apologies, please forgive my laughter. In recent times my sense of levity has become skewed. I understand this is a very serious situation. Do continue.”
7 “I cannot abide the smell of beastmen any longer! The stink makes me wretch. I must leave this place or cut off my nose.”
8 “I can’t put my finger on it, but ever since [insert event] there has been something very wrong with [insert ally name]. Keep a close eye, sister.”
9 “I grow weary of being exploited and taken advantage of all the time. From now on, I give the orders round here.”
10 “Who is this burly dwarf with the broad axe? I think I would remember her if she were our ally as you claim. What sorcery is this? Who are you, wench!?”
11 “On occasion I lose the power of speech. Sometimes for days. They say I am cursed, or mad. Perhaps I am. But there is a secret in the silence, and I will be the one to uncover it.”
12 “If I draw my sword, one of us must die. Such is the price that the Blood God demands. I dare not disobey.”
13 “It is a curious thing, but the more I lie and exaggerate, the more others respect me.”
14 “The more people I meet, the more I care only for myself.”
15 “I keep my dear friend’s ear with me always. As long as I have it, I know he can still hear me.”
16 “I don’t feel anything anymore. Not since [insert event].”
17 “Can you not see her? The cloaked woman in the shadow of the trees? Is she saying something, I can’t make it out?”
18 “Bloodshed unleashes the demon within me. Keep well clear and loose the nets if I cannot shake the bloodlust once the last of our foes is dead.”
19 “Sometimes I black out and wake up elsewhere, with no memory of how I got there.”
20 “I am whispering because even here they are likely listening. You would be wise to do the same.”

Mr Beer
2018-07-01, 06:08 PM
It was meant as a joke, sorry if I'm bad at getting emotion across in text. Does this help: :( <-- Me sad now

No worries, I get the same thing sometimes.

Andor13
2018-07-01, 11:00 PM
Mainly, the way I am reflects at least a little into my character. I find it hard to roleplay more charismatic than I am, or more intelligent, without help of others, and I just have difficulty with being to evil because I just don't like being so, at least on purpose (although if I ever do participate in an evil campaign the guides here will really help)

Didn't you say you were planning on being a Tiefling? That could play into it. A (somewhat) irrational fear of demons/devils/evil/being evil/getting damned?

Maybe they think they can save themselves from hell if they can get some number of other mortals to sign 'infernal' contracts with them. Never mind having absolutely no magical power.

hymer
2018-07-02, 06:17 AM
Pig Latin Greek?

Now we're getting really technical. Chimaeric Pig Latin! Let that be your phobia! :smallbiggrin:

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-07-02, 11:54 AM
Pig Latin Greek?

Canislatinicusphobia? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Latin)
Latatiaphobia? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(world)#Latatian)

Misereor
2018-07-05, 03:18 AM
Canislatinicusphobia? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Latin)
Latatiaphobia? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(world)#Latatian)

Neologismophobia could also be a candidate.
Pigdoglatinophobia? I move we change it to German. "Schweinhundlatinofobia".
Everything is better in German (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcxvQI88JRY).

hymer
2018-07-05, 03:52 AM
"Schweinhundlatinofobia"
You need to add in some goat there, too. Definitely better with goats.

jayem
2018-07-05, 06:14 AM
Neologismophobia could also be a candidate.
Pigdoglatinophobia? I move we change it to German. "Schweinhundlatinofobia".
Everything is better in German (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcxvQI88JRY).

That could work quite well. It could be related to something OCD like, to quickly get a handle on where it could occur/cause problems and handle the serious side. While you've also got more petty grammer-nazism to parody and have the fun with.

"We is having to be stealthy here"
"WE ARE HAVING TO BE STEALTHY"
"Who's that!!"

"Are you the traitor"
"No, I was born in ..."

Jay R
2018-07-05, 01:02 PM
You could try zariphobia (http://phobia.wikia.com/wiki/Zariphobia), but there might be a little cognitive dissonance while role-playing it.

superstrijder15
2018-07-05, 03:23 PM
You could try zariphobia (http://phobia.wikia.com/wiki/Zariphobia), but there might be a little cognitive dissonance while role-playing it.

I just wrote a post for a play-by-post with basically no system. I had to choose between some 100 things with no knowledge of any. I wrote *rolls dice*, then rolled dice and chose that number. I think I have zariphilia.

Also, I make up ways to get all kinds of weird numbers by die. d60? (d6-1)*10 + d10, and that one was easy.
(I tried to do d56 first, but that one is harder. 56/4=14, so d14-1*4+d4, but a d14 still isn't doable, so /2 gives ((((d2-1)*7)+d7)-1)*4+d4. But d7 isn't doable because it is a prime. Too bad.)

Jay R
2018-07-05, 04:37 PM
I just wrote a post for a play-by-post with basically no system. I had to choose between some 100 things with no knowledge of any. I wrote *rolls dice*, then rolled dice and chose that number. I think I have zariphilia.

Many of us do.

Also, I make up ways to get all kinds of weird numbers by die. d60? (d6-1)*10 + d10, and that one was easy.

It sure is. Just roll this d60 (https://www.amazon.com/D60-Sixty-Sided-Polyhedral-Gaming-Dice/dp/B01DOTNGWW). It's a Deltoidal hexecontahedron, one of the Catalan solids. It's not a regular polyhedron because the faces aren't regular polygons, but each face is identical in all ways to every other face, and so it is a fair die. [This is the same geometric set that the d10 and the d30 come from.]

(I tried to do d56 first, but that one is harder. 56/4=14, so d14-1*4+d4, but a d14 still isn't doable, so /2 gives ((((d2-1)*7)+d7)-1)*4+d4. But d7 isn't doable because it is a prime. Too bad.)

This set (https://www.amazon.com/Set-Unusual-Dice-d14-Blue/dp/B00ICOJZCA) has a d14 and a d7. These do not have identical faces, and so they are not quite fair dice.

This 7-sided die (https://www.amazon.com/gamescience-opaque-white-dice-7-sided/dp/b001pvp6fw) is very close to fair.

And you can also get a fair roll of a d56 by typing "=randbetween(1,56)" into an Excel spreadsheet.

superstrijder15
2018-07-05, 04:52 PM
It sure is. Just roll this d60 (https://www.amazon.com/D60-Sixty-Sided-Polyhedral-Gaming-Dice/dp/B01DOTNGWW). It's a Deltoidal hexecontahedron, one of the Catalan solids. It's not a regular polyhedron because the faces aren't regular polygons, but each face is identical in all ways to every other face, and so it is a fair die. [This is the same geometric set that the d10 and the d30 come from.]

But then I'd need to get those dice first, which takes time, effort and money.

This set (https://www.amazon.com/Set-Unusual-Dice-d14-Blue/dp/B00ICOJZCA) has a d14 and a d7. These do not have identical faces, and so they are not quite fair dice.

This 7-sided die (https://www.amazon.com/gamescience-opaque-white-dice-7-sided/dp/b001pvp6fw) is very close to fair.

And you can also get a fair roll of a d56 by typing "=randbetween(1,56)" into an Excel spreadsheet.
If I wanted to make a fair d7, I'd see if I could get someone to make something like this (https://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Frandom-ize.com%2Fdice-rolling%2Fall-dice%2F3-sided.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Frandom-ize.com%2Fdice-rolling%2F&docid=sVQGmqM31xTC7M&tbnid=IgpQ_wn5TEI2TM%3A&vet=1&w=600&h=450&bih=732&biw=1536&ved=0ahUKEwiZr7Gv-IjcAhVKC-wKHVCHBxMQMwgzKAQwBA&iact=c&ictx=1)but 7 sided.