PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Trying to Boost the Effectiveness of my offense Spell

Nosta
2018-06-24, 09:20 PM
First off I am Starting At level 6 or 7 the Game Master has not said yet. But I Think I should have third level spells

My question is what spell would be best for me to focus on.
(well I will have other, my character backstory is that he has Master the one particular spell to Amazing new heights) and has actually lost some of his poor in a battle Defeating a powerful foe by Giving up a piece of himself (Think like he gave up some of his magic) He used to be like a level 14 or 15 Character but do to story he needed to give up some of his power to defeat a powerful Foe

I am thinking fire ball but I am not sure if there could be a better spell. I want a good Mix of Dmg , (versatility in Dmg) High Dc , High caster level and any other trick i could do to make the spell more powerful.

extra note.
the characters get an extra feat at level 1 as a house rule

I need Advice on class (Build ) and what spell i should of focus on

Shadowquad
2018-06-25, 10:09 AM
Hello,

First of all, regardless of what your signature spell will be, here are a few pointers to traits and feats to improve a single spell (or magic school):

Signature Spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/secret-of-the-impossible-kingdom-regional-jalmeray/), Magical Lineage (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage/), Spell Focus (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spell-focus-final/) (Greater (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/greater-spell-focus-final/)), Mage's Tattoo (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/mages-tattoo/), Spell Specialization (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spell-specialization/) (Greater (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/greater-spell-specialization/)), Spell Perfection (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spell-perfection/)

Now, for the actual spell, it really depends on the idea you have of your character: sure, you can make an Evoker flinging away Fireballs all day long, but you can also have an Enchanter specialized in Suggestion, a Conjurer specialized in Summon Monster or, if 4th level spells are on the table (which might be the case at level 7), an Illusionist specialized in Shadow Conjuration or a Necromancer specialized in Enervation.

Another thing of importance is that no spell is universally applicable out of the box : most evocation spells are subject to energy resistance, most enchantment spells have no effect on mindless creatures, etc... So if you really want to stick to a handful of spells, you ought to pick ways to overcome the usual immunities. For instance, Thanatopic spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/thanatopic-spell-metamagic) allows you to use Enervation on Undeads and creatures protected by Death Ward.

Finally, you want your signature spell to be as versatile as possible: that's why I suggested Suggestion, Summon Monster and Shadow Conjuration, which all have great utility in and out of combat. If you want a pure damage spell, it would be wise to choose one with an uncommon energy type, such as Gloomblind Bolts (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/gloomblind-bolts), and make it double as a control spell, with feats such as Dazing Spell (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/dazing-spell-metamagic).

Calthropstu
2018-06-25, 10:11 AM
Sorcerer sounds like what you are looking for. Fireball, acid arrow, magic missle for damage spells will give you 3 different types of damage.

Add some utility spells for functionality such as invisibility, levitate etc.

To increase damage, I suggest increasing the dc with spell fcus evocation and getting the feat that adds +1 damage per die. Elemental bloodline will give you some nice boosts and extra firepower later on.

But the spell you will want to focus on comes online at lvl 12. As soon as you can, pick up disintigrate. No spell matches its damage potential. Your ultimate goal will be to get a rod of maximize, pick up empower spell without raising the spell lvl on disintigrate and blasting things for 720 damage a pop. Tack on weapon focus ray and improved critical ray because disintigrate can crit... Which will one shot cthulhu.

Kurald Galain
2018-06-25, 10:23 AM
Draconic Bloodline and the Blood Havoc alternative class ability gives you +2 damage per die.

Fireball and Scorching Ray are your go-to spells, but do bring a metarod of Elemental Spell to swap out elements as needed.

As soon as you can, pick up disintigrate. No spell matches its damage potential.
Surprisingly, several spells do, notably Cosmic Ray (against anything with a good fort save) and especially Hellfire Ray (which caps at 45d6+90 damage, no save, and half damage even against fire immunity).

Shadowquad
2018-06-25, 10:38 AM
You can also do a lot of damage (and utility) with a Telekinesis spell and a portable hole full of Colossal Butchering Axes: you have a potential 180d6+180 damage for each casting, before metamagic feats.

noob
2018-06-25, 10:51 AM
You can also do a lot of damage (and utility) with a Telekinesis spell and a portable hole full of Colossal Butchering Axes: you have a potential 180d6+180 damage for each casting, before metamagic feats.

Do not forget telekinesis have a weight cap too.
Due to that cap I try to get arrows made of mythril that are as big as possible while having the sum of the weights of the arrows fall under the limit.

Kurald Galain
2018-06-25, 11:00 AM
You can also do a lot of damage (and utility) with a Telekinesis spell and a portable hole full of Colossal Butchering Axes
Colossal items don't fit in a portable hole.

And you'd need an extra round to put the portable hole on the ground and unfold it.

And the telekinesis spell has a weight limit.

So no, that doesn't work. :smallcool:

noob
2018-06-25, 11:34 AM

And you'd need an extra round to put the portable hole on the ground and unfold it.

Colossal weapons are often one or two size categories smaller than colossal(one in the case of two handed weapons and two in the case of light and one handed weapons)
Yes it is nonsensic.

Shadowquad
2018-06-25, 12:55 PM

A use-activated item of Shrink Item should cost 15 000 gp, and takes care of these problems. You can then drop the butchering axes trinklets as a free action, which should count as "tossing them onto any solid surface" and then start casting. It also conveniently gets around the problem of transportation.

If custom magic items are to be avoided, a permanencied Shrink item costs 7500 per axe, which starts to get costly, but still feasible. My goal however was not to advocate that it was a practical way to do damage, I just wanted to point that Disintegrate's damage potential could, in fact, be matched.

noob
2018-06-25, 02:38 PM
A use-activated item of Shrink Item should cost 15 000 gp, and takes care of these problems. You can then drop the butchering axes trinklets as a free action, which should count as "tossing them onto any solid surface" and then start casting. It also conveniently gets around the problem of transportation.

If custom magic items are to be avoided, a permanencied Shrink item costs 7500 per axe, which starts to get costly, but still feasible. My goal however was not to advocate that it was a practical way to do damage, I just wanted to point that Disintegrate's damage potential could, in fact, be matched.

The unshrunk axes would stay too much heavy for being thrown by groups of 15.

Calthropstu
2018-06-25, 03:17 PM
Draconic Bloodline and the Blood Havoc alternative class ability gives you +2 damage per die.

Fireball and Scorching Ray are your go-to spells, but do bring a metarod of Elemental Spell to swap out elements as needed.

Surprisingly, several spells do, notably Cosmic Ray (against anythingr with a good fort save) and especially Hellfire Ray (which caps at 45d6+90 damage, no save, and half damage even against fire immunity).

Disintigrate is limitless damage. Cosmic Ray maxes out at 20d6 as per the spell on pfsrd.

Never seen hellfire ray before, but a few points:
You must be evil to cast it. If nonevil and casting it, you're going to become evil very quickly. In order to beat disintigrate, you must be 19th level, 15th to tie it. It is half fire damage too, so if all three rays target one person, resistance applies up to three times. It's powerful, but its drawbacks are many. It is, however, a ray so abilities enhancing rays help both which is a plus.

Kurald Galain
2018-06-25, 09:48 PM
Disintigrate is limitless damage.
It's capped at level 20, just like Cosmic Ray. The main downside of Disintegrate is that it gives a saving throw, and does negligible damage on a successful save; the other two spells don't have that limitation. Given the ludicrous fort save on numerous monsters, it is quite possible that the CR or HR will deal more damage on average.

If nonevil and casting it, you're going to become evil very quickly.
That's not how [evil] spells work in PF in PFS. Infernal Healing is commonly used and doesn't turn people evil, either.

Calthropstu
2018-06-26, 03:43 AM
It's capped at level 20, just like Cosmic Ray. The main downside of Disintegrate is that it gives a saving throw, and does negligible damage on a successful save; the other two spells don't have that limitation. Given the ludicrous fort save on numerous monsters, it is quite possible that the CR or HR will deal more damage on average.

That's not how [evil] spells work in PF. Infernal Healing is commonly used and doesn't turn people evil, either.

For the first point, fair. The save on disintigrate is a problem.

For your second, sorry but infernal healing doesn't condemn people to hell. That spell is probably one of the most evil spells I've read. Merely casting it is a truly evil act.

Rynjin
2018-06-26, 03:46 AM
By the rules in Horror Adventures, it absolutely is how it works in PF. It only take 3 casts, no less, for Infernal Healing to shift you.

Yes, it's insanely ****ing stupid, but Jacobs and Buhlman have hard a hard-on for that garbage for years, so it's no surprise.

As to the OP, don't forget to slap Dazing Spell on your Orc/Draconic Crossblooded Sorcerer with Blood Havoc Fireballs for extra cheese.

Kurald Galain
2018-06-26, 04:32 AM
For your second, sorry but infernal healing doesn't condemn people to hell. That spell is probably one of the most evil spells I've read. Merely casting it is a truly evil act.

Oh right, that's not how it works in PFS, but it is how it works in PF. PFS is big on allowing worship of evil gods (and participation in their evil murderous or turturous rites) as long as you pretend they aren't evil. So PFS specifically says that casting evil spells is totally fine for a paladin.

Calthropstu
2018-06-26, 04:51 AM
Oh right, that's not how it works in PFS, but it is how it works in PF. PFS is big on allowing worship of evil gods (and participation in their evil murderous or turturous rites) as long as you pretend they aren't evil. So PFS specifically says that casting evil spells is totally fine for a paladin.

I want to make a paladin of rovagug now.

Nosta
2018-06-26, 03:42 PM
looks like I am going Evoker Wizard

and my signature spell will be battering Blast

At level 7 I will be able to Empower and intensified

added note talked my gm in to letting me take Arcane thesis from 3.5 at level 9