PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a university course

Ilianthros
2018-06-25, 05:02 AM
So our party recently went to university to unlock our 3rd level bard abilities. I rolled high enough that our DM said I could take an extra course. I'm looking for ideas the course I choose "could" give my PC stat bonuses/extra knowledge like say about extraplanar existence/proficiencies.

holywhippet
2018-06-25, 05:24 AM
Is there any running theme to the campaign you are in - like running into lots of a particular monster type? Is there a particular type of roll you keep making that you aren't proficient in? Failing all else, try to improve your charisma, that never works out badly for a bard.

Ilianthros
2018-06-25, 07:13 AM
I've been thinking, a drama course might help with performance or deception. Locksmith course might grant proficiency with thieves tools, etc.

nickl_2000
2018-06-25, 07:28 AM
It all depends on what you character and your party needs from a skill perspective. Do you need Arcana? History? or something else? Would it be useful to take a gym class and get prof in athletics?

Acrobatics - Tumbling/Judo Class
Animal Handling - Animal Behavior class
Arcana - Advanced studies of interplanier beings 404
Athletics - Weight Lifting, Good Form Running, Gym
Deception - Acting class
History - Study of the history of local governments
Insight - Study of human body language
Intimidation - Bullying 101, Cowing
Investigation - Criminology, CSI Classes
Medicine - Anatomy Class, Biology, Botany
Nature - Entomology, Botany
Perception - No clue on this one, sorry.
Performance - Stagecraft, musical theory
Religion - Joy of Sects (yes this is a book from a class I took in college), Anthropology, Sociology, Religious Studies, Philisophy
Sleight of Hand - Stagecraft, Stage magic
Survival - Botany

Other classes that may be useful
Sign Language - Learn a non-verbal language
Locksmithing - Thieves tools
Learn a new musical instrument
Astral Navigation - Navigation tools
Riding Class - Animal Handling, Riding
Drivers Education - Training in Vehicles tool
Art Class - Calligrapher's Supplies, Glassblowers Tools, Jewelers Toos, Painters Supplies

Ilianthros
2018-06-25, 10:20 AM
A whole internet to you good sir!

ZorroGames
2018-06-25, 10:54 AM
This is great thread. No nasty put downs, no arrogance, and no Sorcerer King behavior.

Well done, guys and gals!

My wife might want to glance at this since she is returning to D&D since AD&D/1st.

Personification
2018-06-25, 12:32 PM
Aerospace Engineering! (relevant thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?521656-Things-I-May-No-Longer-Do-While-Playing-XI-I-May-Not-Postpone-Naming-My-Thread/page43&p=23166062#post23166062) (read to bottom from this post))

DMThac0
2018-06-25, 01:17 PM
Perception - No clue on this one, sorry.

This would be a pseudo-science class with a mix of philosophy and physiology focusing on the use and improvement of the 5 basic senses. Basically you'd be doing projects that require the utmost focus on strange tasks like Sherlock or CSI's doing experiments.

Arcangel4774
2018-06-25, 01:25 PM
...like Sherlock or CSI's doing experiments.

Emulate investigators to become better at investi- perception. In all reality though your probably on the right path

DMThac0
2018-06-25, 02:02 PM
Emulate investigators to become better at investi- perception. In all reality though your probably on the right path

lol, trust me I knew the conundrum when I hit reply...

I was leaning more toward the experiments and tools they use, such as Sherlock knowing the difference in the smells of 87 different perfumes or visually being able to tell the difference between the hairs of a Persian cat vs a Rat Terrier dog with a single strand seen on some woman's stole.

CantigThimble
2018-06-25, 02:16 PM
This would be a pseudo-science class with a mix of philosophy and physiology focusing on the use and improvement of the 5 basic senses. Basically you'd be doing projects that require the utmost focus on strange tasks like Sherlock or CSI's doing experiments.

Oh no, there's a much better way to do this. Take any large class and sit at the back of the auditorium. Strain your sight and hearing every day to pass.

DMThac0
2018-06-25, 02:54 PM
Oh no, there's a much better way to do this. Take any large class and sit at the back of the auditorium. Strain your sight and hearing every day to pass.

LOL, with an old crotchety professor who can barely speak loud enough to the first row and writes with super small letters on the black board. Not that I've ever had that experience...*shudders*

*caution if you get this reference you're dating yourself*

Or invent the television, create rabbit ears, and try to watch those shows that you shouldn't through the static...

Maelynn
2018-06-25, 04:14 PM

I'd sooner think of micro-expressions, in the style of the series Lie to Me. You'll learn what signals people give off subconsciously, telling you whether they're hiding something or suppressing certain emotions.

CantigThimble
2018-06-25, 04:28 PM
I'd sooner think of micro-expressions, in the style of the series Lie to Me. You'll learn what signals people give off subconsciously, telling you whether they're hiding something or suppressing certain emotions.

That sounds more like insight than perception.

Personification
2018-06-25, 08:52 PM
lol, trust me I knew the conundrum when I hit reply...

I was leaning more toward the experiments and tools they use, such as Sherlock knowing the difference in the smells of 87 different perfumes or visually being able to tell the difference between the hairs of a Persian cat vs a Rat Terrier dog with a single strand seen on some woman's stole.

I would like to point out that in the books Holmes couldn't do these things with anything but cigar and cigarette ash, which he was able to do because he had literally written a book about how to identify smoked items by their ashes.

Anyway, I would say that the perception skill would be taught by doing exercises intended to make people mre aware of their surroundings, and training them in tricks of spotting patterns in the sounds and sights around them and learning when the pattern is broken. Additionally, the perception skill could very well be innate, with some people just being perceptive and others not.