PDA

View Full Version : 5e fun with homebrew creatures

Aaedimus
2018-06-25, 11:04 AM
Here's a fun exercise:
We create homebrew creatures talk about them! I've had to do a few based on some recent experiences. I was running my table of 8-9 through sunless citadel at levels 7-9 for example, Calcryx just had to grow up a bit (making the trial of returning her a bit more difficult too lol)

Some encounters, like the rat filled jail cells in the upper level, and the Gothias tree got a more personal touch. I though here might be a fun place to share the updated monsters, and maybe you can share some proud creations you've subjected your adventuring groups to as well.

Geshus the rat mother:
Was infected by a ooze type creature that has been spreading throughout the citadel. Herself, and the entire jail were infected by a creature with one mind that absorbs life-forms, and twists them into corrupted parts of its own whole self.
Swarms of ooze rats do automatic acid damage to anything that they share their space with, with a con save for 1/2, converting anything they kill into a corrupted form of its self.

The mother, Geshus suffered a worse fate. The dark entity that has corrupted her is mindless, hungry, and wants to grow. She's ravenous, and streams of corrupted rats swarm into her room to feed that hunger. She's now the size of a large bear, and because of the ooze, two of the larger pig sized rats she's attempted to devour began eating her from the inside out, their head and body extruding from her own at odd angles. They eventually melded into a single nightmarish cereberus rat, which pukes up swarms of corrupted rats and grey ooze as a reaction to being hit by melee attacks. Eventually, she loses her form as she is defeated, the body deflates as swarms of corrupted rats and 2 black puddings accost the adventurers.

Geshus had AC 15 and 230 HP, 3 bite attacks, or an overwhelm attack +7, that knocks a player prone (DC 16) for another bite attack. Her puke action pushed out 2 swarms of corrupted rats and a grey ooze. She attempted to eat the ooze and swarms if they were closer than the adventurers.

Real nightmare stuff, that played fantastically, and (evil me) added a little challenge further down. They pretty much all had magical weapons, armor... not so much.