PDA

View Full Version : Cloister: Alternate Idea (SPOILERS)

Cuindless
2007-09-09, 02:35 AM
Fellow Fans,

I've just been reading through all the speculative posts and put a few things together, and I think I might know what the deal with "Cloister" is.

First, you take the definition of the word cloister along with what Xykon said about Azure City being "Off the grid" and combine them, what do you get? As many posters have already said, you get the idea that Azure City is somehow immune/resistant/impenetrable to scrying, messages and other magical distance effects.

Second, ask yourself how that is accomplished using the D&D rules, which the talented Mr. Berlew seems to be following quite closely. Well, Azure City would probably (not necessarily) have to be taken to a pocket dimension or another plane.

Third, re-read the section about the Snarl. What happens when someone like Xykon removes not only the seal holding in the deity eating monster that destroyed the previous universe, but in fact removes the very rift itself? What will this do? What effect will the have? If I were the Dm I could think of several possibilities, like Xykon attaining near deific power, for instance (undoing the mistake that even the gods themselves claim they could not do without unravelling the universe). How about transporting the Snarl to other dimension that he'd like to see wiped out by the monster, such as the celestial realms? In effect, Xykon has the key to the Snarl's cage. How do you think he'll use it?

Ancalagon
2007-09-09, 07:18 AM
Hrm... ich think "Cloister" just increases an existing fire for a moment. If you have a burning city, use cloister on it, you have an inferno for a second and you can say: The city is off the grid.
As in: This is an ex-city. It has ceased to be. You can take a big red pen and paint a X - which does not mark the treasure! - over it on the maps.

David Argall
2007-09-09, 03:24 PM
We can't reject the idea out of hand until we get a few more strips, but that looks too broken. Like the PCs, the lich needs to struggle to the goal. Casting just one spell and getting control of the Snarl is just too much a givemi. Our epic journey becomes a routine vacation.

2007-09-09, 04:05 PM
Erm...

Isn't the rift gone now? Since Miko broke it?

Studoku
2007-09-09, 04:07 PM
Erm...

Miko broke the gate. The rift is still there but without a gate, the Snarl cannot be controlled through it.

SteveMB
2007-09-09, 04:09 PM
Erm...

The gate is gone; the rift is still there. Xykon and Redcloak's plans require an intact gate to gain control of the rift.

Start of Darkness spoiler:

The plural "plans" is significant; Redcloak has been less than completely forthcoming with Xykon about the results if they succeed in gaining control of a gate and completing the rituals.

the_tick_rules
2007-09-09, 06:50 PM
we gotta wait a few more days to find out what it does.

NerfTW
2007-09-09, 08:22 PM
He can't move the rift by himself. That would completely invalidate the whole purpose of the rituals and everything about the strip, which is based around Redcloak's plan, which

is to take control of the rift (using one arcane and one divine caster) so it can be moved wherever the Dark One wants it, so he can bargain for a land for the goblinoid races.