PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster, but Cleric spells?

jaappleton
2018-06-25, 01:29 PM
About this time last week, I asked the question if anything would upset the balance of allowing an Eldritch Knight to use the Cleric spell list instead of the Wizard list.

Now, I ask the same question to this community, regarding the Arcane Trickster and the Cleric spell list. No spell school restrictions, like the EK.

Just... you're a tiny bit Cleric. You'd still get Mage Hand, because its tied so heavily into the archetype.

Willie the Duck
2018-06-25, 01:34 PM
For reference (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?561919-Eldritch-Knight-but-with-Cleric-spells).

Eldritch Knight has less likelihood of an abusive combo (since both paladins and some cleric types are already tanky fighter types with access to the same or similar spell lists), but I don't know of any particular issues that this build would provide. Certainly a rogue who gets discovered while out by themselves on a recon mission might enjoy casting sanctuary while booking for friendly territory, and a sniper assassin would enjoy having bless up ahead of time, but none of those intuitively best the basic AT tricks.

jaappleton
2018-06-25, 01:46 PM
For reference (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?561919-Eldritch-Knight-but-with-Cleric-spells).

Eldritch Knight has less likelihood of an abusive combo (since both paladins and some cleric types are already tanky fighter types with access to the same or similar spell lists), but I don't know of any particular issues that this build would provide. Certainly a rogue who gets discovered while out by themselves on a recon mission might enjoy casting sanctuary while booking for friendly territory, and a sniper assassin would enjoy having bless up ahead of time, but none of those intuitively best the basic AT tricks.

As far as Bless goes, on either the AT or the EK...

I mean, if there's a Paladin or Cleric in the party, odds are that spell is being cast anyway.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-25, 01:50 PM
You're losing native access to Booming Blade, so that's a hit right there. More Healing Words are nice, but generally speaking you won't have the slots to heal... Spiritual Weapon is nice, but doesn't really add that much to a class that already has solid damage and bonus action uses... Spirit Guardians on a Rogue chassis could be interesting for a sticky-melee build, but mostly seems like a good way to get yourself killed.

I can't think of anything particularly bad. Certainly nothing to compare to losing Booming Blade.

Willie the Duck
2018-06-25, 01:56 PM
As far as Bless goes, on either the AT or the EK...

I mean, if there's a Paladin or Cleric in the party, odds are that spell is being cast anyway.

And can be done with a 1 level dip or Magic Initiate as well, but a rogue is unique in their tendency to be found far from the spell radius of the rest of the party, so it is a good thing to check up on.

Regardless, my advice is the same as with EK -- I can't see any particular abuse, but I don't consider my analysis to be exhaustive. Nothing stands out.

Spectrulus
2018-06-25, 02:05 PM
Mechanically, I'd rather go with Trickery domain as a full / partial cleric, but it actually wouldn't be as good as the Divine Knight mentioned last week. Very little synergy, competition for bonus actions, etc.

Legendairy
2018-06-25, 02:11 PM
As far as optimization my knee jerk is that it’s a bit weaker. It’s already been said that bonus action economy gets wonky and things like spirit guardians are likely to not help much, although it could be used as a deterrent to going after you if you play it like a skirmisher, run in/hit/run out with SG pre cast and if they want to come get you they have to eat extra damage.

A bit off topic, a paladin spell list on EK or AT, probably a bit nuts at times.