PDA

View Full Version : How powerful is the periapt of wound closure?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-06-25, 01:49 PM
I have one of these on my stuck on Level 7 Lore Bard. Currently except for our Wizard's Ring of Spell Storing I'm the only healer in our group so I LOVE the item. Since we don't take short rests much I don't get to use the short rest ability often and my character doesn't go down that often.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Periapt%20of%20Wound%20Closure#content

What are your opinions of this item?

mephnick
2018-06-25, 03:10 PM
If your DM is a wuss it means you basically can't die.

If your DM has the confidence to slice up unconscious PC's then it's still quite useful, but not nearly as much.

So...it depends on the table, but I still rate it quite highly.

Finlam
2018-06-25, 03:29 PM
If your DM is a wuss it means you basically can't die.

If your DM has the confidence to slice up unconscious PC's then it's still quite useful, but not nearly as much.

So...it depends on the table, but I still rate it quite highly.

Agreed. It's a very good magic item for its rarity.

If you're on the front lines a lot, it's definitely worth it.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-06-25, 04:18 PM
Agreed. It's a very good magic item for its rarity.

If you're on the front lines a lot, it's definitely worth it.

OK. That's pretty much was I was thinking guys. Ideally my Lore Bard is not in the front line. Our Party has only half a tank per say and our DM likes flanking or getting in the midst of us anyway so it happens.

My plan is to hang onto it and possibly trade off with our fighter if we ever get a Cleric back again. With our Rogue, Wizard, Ranger, Fighter, Monk and Bard party composition, my Bard and I feel pressure to do the party healing! If we go down it becomes a thing to get someone back up so I pressure the Wizard to load his Ring of Spell Storing (Another nifty item!) up with a few Healing Word spells.

ruy343
2018-06-26, 11:03 AM
Hold up: doesn't the item require attunement? I'm AFB, but I don't think that you can just pass it off to someone mid-combat and put them back onto their feet.

Still a really good item, but I don't think it can be used that way.

Also, when I DM, I tell the players that if they drop three times in combat, that magical healing won't put them on their feet until they take a short rest. I find that it prevents the whack-a-mole (or whack-a-PC) that can happen with spells like Healing Word/Periapt of Wound Closure and replaces it with a new kind of tension. However, that's just my table.