PDA

View Full Version : Music instrument proficiencies

ZorroGames
2018-06-25, 02:46 PM
Bards start with 3 instruments. For Role-play purposes, can you gain more other than downtime?

Crgaston
2018-06-25, 02:49 PM
Entertainer background, Skilled and Prodigy feats spring to mind.

nickl_2000
2018-06-25, 02:50 PM
The PHB entertainer and outlander backgrounds each gives 1 extra proficiency

ZorroGames
2018-06-26, 11:48 AM
The PHB entertainer and outlander backgrounds each gives 1 extra proficiency

Okay, used those before in white room Bard designing but unfortunately Urchin was perfect for my backstory as a half-elf (eventually Swords Bard 6/Hexblade 4/4+) with starting stats of

ST 8
DE 16
CO 14
IN 8
WI 12
CH 17
Looking for plussing up CH with Elven Accuracy. Thank God for Hex Warrior or I would starting with LCB and Dagger! It makes the Mace viable by channeling my CH instead of using ST in melee. Spent my 10 GP on a shield but medium armor and Martial weapons are on my “to buy” list.

ZorroGames
2018-06-26, 12:00 PM
Entertainer background, Skilled and Prodigy feats spring to mind.

Skilled and Prodigy have potential after Elven Accuracy. CH 20 can probably wait one ASI?

I can get one instrument with Bard after starting Hexblade to 2 (Hexblade 4 after Bard 6.). Not sure how helpful mechanically it would be but it would fill out the character RP wise.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-26, 04:14 PM
Snip

You're free to change background proficiencies, any 2 skills and 2 languages/tools/instruments as desired.

ZorroGames
2018-06-27, 08:52 PM
You're free to change background proficiencies, any 2 skills and 2 languages/tools/instruments as desired.

Roger that. Will take a look to see if I want to mess with any of those.

Daithi
2018-06-28, 12:01 AM
Someone else on some board somewhere came up with an idea that I thought was pretty cool. His concept was a bard that couldn't play an instrument. He used the Minor Illusion cantrip to create his music instead.

Pair that with an elf who goes into a trance where he has visions of his ancestors' lives. Now you can imagine an ancestor hearing any song you want to play --- I'm thinking something like Ironman by Black Sabbath. Screw playing the lute.

kamap
2018-06-28, 02:30 AM
If there is downtime you can learn new things check traininig on p 178 of the PHB and discuss with your DM.

ZorroGames
2018-06-28, 11:01 AM

Soooo...
I could switch proficiency with Thieves’s tools from Urchin with a proficiency in one musical Instrument from Entertainer, right?

Can I switch a lute for a piece of equipment in the Urchin background? Not that a drum, flute, horn, or a Shawn costs all that much.

ZorroGames
2018-06-28, 11:03 AM

Can I switch features so from City Secrets for By Popular Demand?

Edit: pg 125 of PHB says yes. Now do I want to do that? That is a not so clear decision. Both have their place.

Quoxis
2018-06-28, 11:13 AM
Can I switch features so from City Secrets for By Popular Demand?

Edit: pg 125 of PHB says yes. Now do I want to do that? That is a not so clear decision. Both have their place.

By RAW yes, but if you’re set on playing the entertainer background anyways, why not just take it as it is and add the description „is also an urchin“?