PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Bard idea

Chalkarts
2018-06-25, 05:28 PM
At 6th level bards can choose some spells from any list.
Get Call Steed(?) 2nd level Paladin, summon some kind of a combat mount, let the mount be independent, just tell it who to kill and let it chew on them while you sing and cast.
Solid?

MagneticKitty
2018-06-25, 05:48 PM
If you're mounted and it's attacking it's in close range. And casting in close range probably isn't fun. And the mounts aren't that durable

I'd do this:
Any Paladin min 2 - max 4 (defense fighting style and heavy armor prof)
Swords Bard 10+ (dual wielding fighting style, find greater steed, second attack, full caster slots.)
Dump dex and go heavy armor
Mounted combatant and dual welder feat.
You can dual wield lances and smite with them while mounted.

Until then play it a little like a sorcadin.

Or if your dm will let you take dual wielding fighting style as a paladin you can do whispers bard for extra smiting
Or if you want to lance and shield you can do paladin 6 / bard x
And pick up find steed from paladin and greater steed from magical secrets

Chalkarts
2018-06-25, 10:14 PM
What if my Bard weren’t casting but was buffing the whole time, “Inspiration for EVERYONE! Battle Cat has my back!

strangebloke
2018-06-25, 10:35 PM
My take:

Ask your DM if you can 'hold' a magic secret until 7th level and pick a fourth level spell. Grab greater find steed and get a pegasus.

Pick up the inspiring leader feat so that the pegasus has better survivability. Remember that the mount has hit dice to heal itself with as well. Take the mounted combatant feat. Remember that although ordering your mount to attack takes an action, ordering it to dodge or dash takes nothing. Buy the mount some armor to pump it's AC up.

Pick up spirit guardians for your other secret. When you cast it on yourself, it casts on your mount. all enemies within 15 feet take 6d8 radiant damage on a failed save.

Sit pretty and make concentration checks.

Multiclass to paladin or make friends with one so they can boost your mount with their aura.

Chalkarts
2018-06-25, 10:50 PM
Nice, thanks!
Is this the right board for questions like this?

strangebloke
2018-06-26, 12:29 AM
Nice, thanks!
Is this the right board for questions like this?

100% it is.

There are three main topics here on this forum.

1: rulings discussion
2: character optimisation (balance griping)
3: RAW arguments

Maxilian
2018-06-26, 08:10 AM
My take:

Ask your DM if you can 'hold' a magic secret until 7th level and pick a fourth level spell. Grab greater find steed and get a pegasus.

Is this Raw?

Either way, i would recommend to go with a small race so you can take the Periton, it doesn't have the Pegasus HP but it can go in everywhere your team goes, making it always useful, instead of the "Look i'm a mount based character that can't use its mount for like 3 seasons cause we are inside somewhere"

Chalkarts
2018-06-26, 08:18 AM
I’d thought about going with a shorty, probably gnome.

strangebloke
2018-06-26, 08:25 AM
Is this Raw?

Either way, i would recommend to go with a small race so you can take the Periton, it doesn't have the Pegasus HP but it can go in everywhere your team goes, making it always useful, instead of the "Look i'm a mount based character that can't use its mount for like 3 seasons cause we are inside somewhere"

RAW, yes. RAI? Probably not, giving how JC has ruled for things like twin metamagic.

A peryton for a small creature is perfectly fine as well, although I will point out that a large creature can typically squeeze through spaces intended for a medium creature.

Talionis
2018-06-26, 09:43 AM
Here are some whole guides on this concept:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?506610-The-College-of-Legendary-Steeds-A-Bard-Guide-by-StarStuff

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?501029-Everything-a-Lore-Bard-can-do-with-Find-Steed-no-cheese

With a flying steed with greater Find Steed you can grapple opponents and have your steed drag them around the battlefield or high into the air and drop them. Bards can be very very good at grappling.

Sharing spells with your Steed is also a wonderful thing for a Bard who has access to every spell in the game. Spells like Armor of Agathys can help to keep people from attacking your steed and you. Its a rattlesnake ability because it should deter opponents from attacking you a second time or a third time if they are particularly stupid, even if AoA isn't still working opponents should fear the AoA.

Here is a thread on buffing squirrels it may help you to buff your steed... http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?533740-Maximum-Buffed-Squirrel

There is a lot of room to optimize as much as is appropriate within your game.