PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Prayer ideas for religious headmasters

lordorinko
2018-06-26, 03:53 AM
hello everyone i'm opening this thread since i want to add flavor to a religious part of a campaing (which is huge) i'm DMing, i want to add some flavor to certain NPCs which are mostly head of religious orders. Like the order of;

Tempus (who is not a mindless war and slaying god but rather a god that favors beauty of combat and prefers combat to be balanced before it starts),

Tyr god of Justice,

Silvanus god of Nature (which has a temple in a desert that once was a dense forest but destroyed during a magical warfare),

Bane (who has followers that can prefer unorthodox methods according to other beliefs but not literally considered EVIL),

Waukeen goddess of Trade (who has followers that are artisan's and merchants that travel long roads to sell their crafts all around so maybe they can wish for a good luck on their way and good fortune at the end),

Mystra goddess of Magic (who has followers in a metropol city that is all magic and contains biggest library in Faerun and Universities that mostly focused on magic using. You can think of it like a futuristic city in faerun standards.) and

Ilmater god of Endurance (whose followers are mostly monasteries that trains monks in harsh standards who are working like undercover spies and swat forces ) those are the gods i need prayer for (they don't have to be words only different types of actions can be contained in prayers)

Thanks to everyone that are wishing to help :)

Wilko
2018-06-26, 08:14 AM
Ilmater sounds like a good candidate for non-verbal prayers, perhaps some kind of ritual tai-chi like exercise which emphasizes holding particular poses (Thus showcasing physical endurance)

Silvanus could be worshiped by interacting with nature, planting things perhaps, or given that state of the temple maybe have followers of his collect plants / seeds to give as a tithe or donation to the temple, hoping to find something which will grown in the area allowing them to repair the damage.

lordorinko
2018-06-28, 09:32 AM
Ilmater sounds like a good candidate for non-verbal prayers, perhaps some kind of ritual tai-chi like exercise which emphasizes holding particular poses (Thus showcasing physical endurance)

Silvanus could be worshiped by interacting with nature, planting things perhaps, or given that state of the temple maybe have followers of his collect plants / seeds to give as a tithe or donation to the temple, hoping to find something which will grown in the area allowing them to repair the damage.

These two sound really good i will use both of them, if you have any idea about the the other ones please let me know. maybe some verbal prayers that rhymes ?

Laserlight
2018-06-28, 09:49 AM
Parts of Psalm 18 and Psalm 144 go something like "Praise the LORD, my rock, my fortress, who trains my hands for war, who makes my arms to bend a bow of bronze, who makes my way blameless." Easy to adapt to Tempus. Imagine a call and response format, where the priest chants the line and the assembled troops reply:
"Praise Tempus, who makes our path--" "RIGHTEOUS!"
"He who is our--" "FORTRESS!"
"Who trains our hands for--" "WAR! WAR! WAR!"

lordorinko
2018-07-04, 09:28 AM
Parts of Psalm 18 and Psalm 144 go something like "Praise the LORD, my rock, my fortress, who trains my hands for war, who makes my arms to bend a bow of bronze, who makes my way blameless." Easy to adapt to Tempus. Imagine a call and response format, where the priest chants the line and the assembled troops reply:
"Praise Tempus, who makes our path--" "RIGHTEOUS!"
"He who is our--" "FORTRESS!"
"Who trains our hands for--" "WAR! WAR! WAR!"

this tempus prayer is awesome since tempus worshippers mostly trained warriors which has a religious side and paladins and war clerics it is way better that they are not worshipping in traditional ways but doing this type of war shouts. thanks for the advice

Requilac
2018-07-04, 11:35 AM
hello everyone i'm opening this thread since i want to add flavor to a religious part of a campaing (which is huge) i'm DMing, i want to add some flavor to certain NPCs which are mostly head of religious orders. Like the order of;

Alright, I will see what I can come up with.

Tempus (who is not a mindless war and slaying god but rather a god that favors beauty of combat and prefers combat to be balanced before it starts),

I would imagine his as more of a call or shout one performs before entering combat, or maybe a sort of call and response song like those song in stereotypical modern militaries.

Tyr god of Justice,

I would imagine something involving a court room, so perhaps before a prayer a religious leader may slam a gavel down on a table.

Silvanus god of Nature (which has a temple in a desert that once was a dense forest but destroyed during a magical warfare),

I think these would be more in the form of rituals or festivals than necessarily prayers.

Waukeen goddess of Trade (who has followers that are artisan's and merchants that travel long roads to sell their crafts all around so maybe they can wish for a good luck on their way and good fortune at the end),

I would imagine that these these prayers would be dispersed into their normal speech instead of formally done. Perhaps at the beginning or ending of any deal they may take a coin with waukeen's symbol on it and flip it in the air.

Mystra goddess of Magic (who has followers in a metropol city that is all magic and contains biggest library in Faerun and Universities that mostly focused on magic using. You can think of it like a futuristic city in faerun standards.) and

Maybe grandiose displays of magic could be performed during prayers, like a church where everyone uses prestidigitation to perform simple tasks that don't require it, such as lighting candles and opening doors.

Ilmater god of Endurance (whose followers are mostly monasteries that trains monks in harsh standards who are working like undercover spies and swat forces ) those are the gods i need prayer for (they don't have to be words only different types of actions can be contained in prayers)

Rites and prayers would probably be based around giving something up or going through hardships, such as fasting, pilgrimages or a vow of silence.

lordorinko
2018-07-10, 04:42 AM
Alright, I will see what I can come up with.

I would imagine his as more of a call or shout one performs before entering combat, or maybe a sort of call and response song like those song in stereotypical modern militaries.

I would imagine something involving a court room, so perhaps before a prayer a religious leader may slam a gavel down on a table.

I think these would be more in the form of rituals or festivals than necessarily prayers.

I would imagine that these these prayers would be dispersed into their normal speech instead of formally done. Perhaps at the beginning or ending of any deal they may take a coin with waukeen's symbol on it and flip it in the air.

Maybe grandiose displays of magic could be performed during prayers, like a church where everyone uses prestidigitation to perform simple tasks that don't require it, such as lighting candles and opening doors.

Rites and prayers would probably be based around giving something up or going through hardships, such as fasting, pilgrimages or a vow of silence.

I need something else for waukeen the goddess of Trade

The thing is that the players have already met Waukeen in my campaign she was disguised as a male gnome who calls himself The Merchant, in the realm between realms (basically ygdrassil) everything was really expensive 100 times the normal prices. So they didn't but anything from waukeen but later they were trapped in underdark which they came from a labyrinth that opened a portal to there. The only gate to back was a huge door that was between two stalagmites and there were an illithid camp between them and door and there was the merchant again. SHE/HE SAID THAT HE WILL HELP THEM IF ONE OF THEM LETS HIM PUT HIS SIGIL ON ONE OF THEIR ARMOR. (the tempus cleric of party opened a zone of truth and asked if the sigil is cursed or it will weaken the bind between himand tempus and merchant said tempus likes him and nothing will go wrong, he later used divination to ask tempus about merchant and i said to go far east as possible) so when they see traders of waukeen they will recognise the sigil and perform a prayer of some sorts it would be less climatic if they just flipped a coin all at once. But other than that these can be used combined with other ideas. so thanks :)