PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Brain Freeze (3.5 Wizard Spell/Save or Die)

gooddragon1
2018-06-26, 05:05 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

JoshuaZ
2018-06-26, 08:02 AM
Brain Freeze
Evocation [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature with a brain.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

You cause the blood in the brain of any one living creature within range to almost instantly freeze and crystallize resulting in their death. The target is entitled to a Fortitude saving throw to survive the attack. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes 3d6 points of cold damage +1 point per caster level and is stunned for 1 round. Creatures immune to cold damage are immune to this spell. Creatures with cold resistance at least equal to your caster level are not stunned if they successfully save against this spell.

The subject might die from damage even if it succeeds on its saving throw.

Material Component: A piece of dry ice.

===

Inspiration: I was thinking how a waterbender could kill or debilitate an enemy very quickly if they were ruthless.

Not sure about the level of the spell though.

8 sounds about right. I'd also suggest that beings with cold resistance should get to add some of their resistance to the saving throw (maybe 1/3rd of the resistance?).

gooddragon1
2018-06-26, 08:37 AM
8 sounds about right. I'd also suggest that beings with cold resistance should get to add some of their resistance to the saving throw (maybe 1/3rd of the resistance?).

It's pretty high level so I'll go with a +2 bonus. Probably a decent anti wizard spell...

Could it be Water Domain 9 and/or Druid 9? Maybe Wu jen?

JoshuaZ
2018-06-26, 09:45 AM
It's pretty high level so I'll go with a +2 bonus. Probably a decent anti wizard spell...

Could it be Water Domain 9 and/or Druid 9? Maybe Wu jen?

Wu Jen and Druid make sense. I'd be worried about adding it to a Domain since adding additional Domain spells can lead to substantial balance issues.

Goaty14
2018-06-26, 02:14 PM
Creatures without a discernible anatomy should not be subject to the SoD part of the spell, but still the damage. What are you going to do, freeze the "brain" of a skeleton?

EDIT: Just read the target entry, but wouldn't "naturally immune to critical hits" be easier to convey than a brain?

gooddragon1
2018-06-26, 09:40 PM
Creatures without a discernible anatomy should not be subject to the SoD part of the spell, but still the damage. What are you going to do, freeze the "brain" of a skeleton?

EDIT: Just read the target entry, but wouldn't "naturally immune to critical hits" be easier to convey than a brain?

It's possible something could be vulnerable to critical hits but have no brain though.

Saintheart
2018-06-27, 02:15 AM
Maybe if the creature does not have an INT score it isn't affected by the spell?

If it's mindless it either doesn't have biological components for intelligence or it isn't using them and thus the spell doesn't affect them.

rferries
2018-06-27, 05:17 AM
Specifying a brain is fine, there's already precedent for vorpal weapons specifying creatures with heads. Decerebrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/decerebrate.htm)similarly makes reference to a brainstem.