PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fighter (Monster Hunter) Multi-Classing Build Help.

Elrandir
2018-06-26, 07:27 AM
So I wanted some advice on my character's build. I initially built him to simply be a level 1-20 Fighter:Monster Hunter, but he's just hit level 5 and now I'm considering some multiclassing. For context, the campaign is set in a post-"titan of death conquered everything on the continent" setting. The drow orchestrated this, and although we're not going to the underdark yet, we probably will at some point.

Anyway, I'm considering taking 1-3 levels of rogue (probably just 1) and 3 levels of Ranger:Gloomstalker, but part of me isn't sure I want to lose out on the upper level features of my initial class and archetype. I had already planned out my stat progression were I to stick with fighter, and I'll post it so people can give advice accordingly.
Race: Variant Human
STR: 17 -> 19 at lvl 4
DEX: 15
CON: 16
INT: 14
WIS: 14
CHA: 16
Feats: (Non-Monstrous races get one free feat in my DM's game and we allow flaws, so I have two extra feats as a result.)
Heavy Armour Master, Alert, Sentinel
Flaw:
Insomnia

My original progression plan was:
Lvl 4: +2 STR (Which I took)
Lvl 6: Athlete (+1 STR)
Lvl 8: +2 CON
Lvl 12: Resilient: DEX or WIS (Never could decide. Wish I could take both. I think I leaned towards DEX because it would even the modifier out and I can use superiority dice for mental saves.)
Lvl 14: +2 CON
Lvl 16: Tough
Lvl 19: Inspiring Leader

Now I don't know how I want to go about things: Continue as a Fighter? Multi-class a little? Multi-class a lot? Do I want Ranger or Rogue? Do I want both? Do I want either? I was interested in rogue for the expertise, extra skill, sneak attack, and possibly cunning action and archetype bonuses. (although I didn't know which archetype I want) I was interested in Ranger:Gloomstalker for the darkvision (although I have goggles of nightvision), extra attack/damage/movement at the start of combat, improved hiding, extra damage/other favoured enemy bonuses against monstrosities (I do use a class called monster hunter, after all), etc. Basically all the additional juicy extras that ranger gives as a small 3 level dip. I was even tempted to go up to Ranger lvl 7 to get proficiency in WIS saving throws too, although at that point I would lose a lot of fighter bonuses. Also, as a note: I didn't design this character to use any specific weapon type intentionally. He switches currently between a silvered Lsword/Shield and a +1 maul. His fighting style is Tunnel Fighter, which pairs nicely with Sentinel.

So basically, any suggestions/advice on build development from here on out within the boundaries of the three classes mentioned would be awesome. I feel like my inexperience with multi-classing is making me see the cool stuff and miss a lot of possible problems.

Maxilian
2018-06-26, 08:19 AM
First, how do you have 3 feats? You pointed out that you started with 2 feats, and used lvl 4 for ASI, so how did you got the 3rd feat?

Either way, i would recommend to at least, get to lvl 6 Fighter for the extra ASI.

I guess the lvl 1 Rogue is for the sake of Expertise, why? what do you desire expertise on so much?, 3 to 4 lvl Ranger sounds like a solid idea.

Elrandir
2018-06-26, 09:22 AM
First, how do you have 3 feats? You pointed out that you started with 2 feats, and used lvl 4 for ASI, so how did you got the 3rd feat?

Either way, i would recommend to at least, get to lvl 6 Fighter for the extra ASI.

I guess the lvl 1 Rogue is for the sake of Expertise, why? what do you desire expertise on so much?, 3 to 4 lvl Ranger sounds like a solid idea.

I got one feat for being V.Human, one feat in exchange for taking the insomnia flaw, and one feat because my DM just let everyone pick a free feat. I don't know why he did it. I certainly don't do that when I DM.

As for the expertise; Persuasion for one. My character is sort of the party leader and has had to try and keep the sometimes unruly party members from getting in trouble with the law. The second one would either be used on Perception or Insight. My character doesn't trust anyone and is rolling insight checks all the time. It's just a character trait. The ability to do better at that would probably be good. I would also get stealth proficiency if I picked up Rogue. Even though I'm never going to use anything besides heavy armour, it'll at least help negate the disadvantage. I could do that through Ranger as well, but I also wouldn't mind getting Nature proficiency if I dipped in both classes. My character has traveled around hunting creatures for a long time, so it would be handy to know more about the beasts we're facing.

Maxilian
2018-06-26, 09:30 AM
Fair Enough, you don't have anything to do with your bonus action, so getting 2 Rogue wouldn't be a bad idea (unless you're Dual wielding), also i like the idea of you going for Insight as it works well with your subclass (and even nature) as you can add the superiority dice for it (same with Charisma), just something to have in mind, it feels like you're being good on everything, and that may be a problem for the sake of the party (even though you're the face, try not to always have the spotlight) -That's not something bad, just that it may make the other players feel a little.... behind or irrelevant-

CTurbo
2018-06-26, 09:51 AM
3 levels of Gloomstalker or even Hunter Ranger would be good. ESPECIALLY if you can use the UA Revised Ranger. I probably wouldn't go past level 11 in Fighter so feel free to add in some Rogue levels later of you want.

I think I would have made a more stealthy Dex character for this setting though. You're never going to be very stealthy in Heavy Armor. Taking Lucky would help a lot so you could turn your stealth disadvantage into super advantage.

I don't care for the Athlete feat. I think I's take +1 Str and Dex at the next ASI. Then before or after +2 Con I'd take Res(Wis) unless you think you'll take 7 levels of Gloom Stalker. You could potentially later take Observant to round out the Wis score and it fits into your paranoid flaw.

Elrandir
2018-06-26, 10:00 AM
Fair Enough, you don't have anything to do with your bonus action, so getting 2 Rogue wouldn't be a bad idea (unless you're Dual wielding), also i like the idea of you going for Insight as it works well with your subclass (and even nature) as you can add the superiority dice for it (same with Charisma), just something to have in mind, it feels like you're being good on everything, and that may be a problem for the sake of the party (even though you're the face, try not to always have the spotlight) -That's not something bad, just that it may make the other players feel a little.... behind or irrelevant-

I actually use my bonus action almost every round to activate Tunnel Fighter's Defensive Stance. However Cunning Action would probably be more of a "Oh crap oh crap I need to get away." kind of thing. Not a constantly used skill.

As for doing everything, I'm not actually. Normally I'd agree with you, but we actually have a very similarly powerful group. We all rolled stats and rolled well, and we're almost all frontliners. Three Fighters (Monster Hunter, Eldritch Knight, and Arcane Archer), an Assassin Rogue, A Paladin with some arcane and druid spells, and a Monk. We also have an NPC bard, but we usually have to get him *out* of trouble. Stupid morally questionable bugbear bards, always trying to sleep with random women. Anyway, point is, we have surprisingly similar characters. Most of us have a decent-good Charisma and so we sort of share the face role. I'm just the only one coming up with plans, so I'm unofficially the leader. (The drow rogue really doesn't want to give that title to a male) But I digress. Heavily. I apologize.

Thanks for the tips. I'm still uncertain whether I want to sacrifice higher level fighter abilities for the other skills, though. The temptation of being able to throw out 16D6 + 8D12 damage in a single turn is just so strong, even if I'm unlikely to ever get to that point. I'm just not certain 1-5 levels of deviation from the fighter path is statistically a good choice. Then again, if I wanted to maximize damage I should have probably just grabbed GWM and gone all in on the beefy boy side of it, so maybe just enjoying the flavour and multi-classing would be the right choice. I probably wouldn't fall behind too significantly and it would help my versatility, which definitely had an influence on character creation to begin with.

Elrandir
2018-06-26, 10:09 AM
3 levels of Gloomstalker or even Hunter Ranger would be good. ESPECIALLY if you can use the UA Revised Ranger. I probably wouldn't go past level 11 in Fighter so feel free to add in some Rogue levels later of you want.

I think I would have made a more stealthy Dex character for this setting though. You're never going to be very stealthy in Heavy Armor. Taking Lucky would help a lot so you could turn your stealth disadvantage into super advantage.

I don't care for the Athlete feat. I think I's take +1 Str and Dex at the next ASI. Then before or after +2 Con I'd take Res(Wis) unless you think you'll take 7 levels of Gloom Stalker. You could potentially later take Observant to round out the Wis score and it fits into your paranoid flaw.

Yes, I'd be using revised ranger. We don't play with PHB ranger. Why wouldn't you go past 11 in fighter?

The idea was that someone had to be the frontliner. I didn't want to just go with a high dex monster hunter, either. If I had I would have used Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter.

I know Athlete isn't necessarily the greatest, but it's another flavour choice. The character had horrible nightmares (thanks to demons) as a child and physical training under the tutelage of his master was the only thing that allowed him to cope. Athlete seems like a good way of showing that this character is twice as athletic as most people (even in plate) as a result. I'll definitely think about that, however. I'm not married to anything, just strongly attached.

CTurbo
2018-06-26, 10:34 AM
Yes, I'd be using revised ranger. We don't play with PHB ranger. Why wouldn't you go past 11 in fighter?

The idea was that someone had to be the frontliner. I didn't want to just go with a high dex monster hunter, either. If I had I would have used Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter.

I know Athlete isn't necessarily the greatest, but it's another flavour choice. The character had horrible nightmares (thanks to demons) as a child and physical training under the tutelage of his master was the only thing that allowed him to cope. Athlete seems like a good way of showing that this character is twice as athletic as most people (even in plate) as a result. I'll definitely think about that, however. I'm not married to anything, just strongly attached.

The UA Revised Ranger is kinda OP for dips so go for it! lol

Natural Explorer is awesome. You get another fighting style. Useful Spells, and 1 or 2 favored enemies, and then Gloom Stalker or Hunter goodies. The Gloom Stalker's extra attack stacks with Action surge so if you used Action Surge on your first turn you'd get the extra attack twice. That's pretty awesome.

I just don't think you get very much for going past Fighter 11. Especially if you KNOW you're not going to reach Fighter 20. I'd get that 3rd attack and get out. I'd definitely take some Ranger levels, but I don't think I'd go all the way to Ranger 9 unless you want the spells offered. Rogue Assassin would synergize extremely well with Fighter/Gloom Stalker. Your first round would be bonkers.

I could see Monster Hunter 12/Gloom Stalker 3/Assassin 5 being really strong.

djreynolds
2018-06-26, 04:58 PM
16 charisma, paladin. Grab 6 levels it's as good as getting resilient wisdom or dexterity.

Plus you can add smite and maneuvers together for some massive nova damage.

Channel divinity is short rest just like maneuvers are.

Go paladin

Elrandir
2018-06-26, 10:53 PM
The UA Revised Ranger is kinda OP for dips so go for it! lol

Natural Explorer is awesome. You get another fighting style. Useful Spells, and 1 or 2 favored enemies, and then Gloom Stalker or Hunter goodies. The Gloom Stalker's extra attack stacks with Action surge so if you used Action Surge on your first turn you'd get the extra attack twice. That's pretty awesome.

I just don't think you get very much for going past Fighter 11. Especially if you KNOW you're not going to reach Fighter 20. I'd get that 3rd attack and get out. I'd definitely take some Ranger levels, but I don't think I'd go all the way to Ranger 9 unless you want the spells offered. Rogue Assassin would synergize extremely well with Fighter/Gloom Stalker. Your first round would be bonkers.

I could see Monster Hunter 12/Gloom Stalker 3/Assassin 5 being really strong.

Assassin really doesn't fit the character and we already have one in the party, but I might go for Gloom Stalker 7. Wisdom saves, plus favoured enemy and greater favoured enemy (I have a thing against fiends and I'm a monster hunter, so they would both be thematically appropriate) Maybe Monster Hunter 12/Gloom Stalker 7 or 8/Rogue 1. One of the first spells I would take for Ranger is Zephyr Strike, so although more limited than Cunning Action, it would basically be disengage for a whole fight, assuming I don't need to throw something else up. And although this wouldn't come into play until max level, Ranger 8 would give me dash as a bonus action. Now if only I actually got something for Gloom Stalker 5... UA says it can be Extra Attack, but I wonder if anyone has come up with something more flavourful that I could actually use...

16 charisma, paladin. Grab 6 levels it's as good as getting resilient wisdom or dexterity.

Plus you can add smite and maneuvers together for some massive nova damage.

Channel divinity is short rest just like maneuvers are.

Go paladin

The problem with all that nova is it won't last very well on a trip without long rests. And my character really isn't the paladin type. Very religious, but more of a strong believer as opposed to fanatical vigilant. I think the best fighter to pair paladin with would be Eldritch Knight. At least then they'd have extra spell slots for smites. And even then I'm not sure it rates above an "Okay."