PDA

View Full Version : New-ish player questions

Darkbru
2018-06-26, 08:25 AM
I’m newer to 5e and have a couple questions.
1. Can a monk make any use of a potion of storm giants strength? To be specific I’ve built a Drunken Master monk and during an AL session the potion was found. The rogue, Druid, and life cleric didn’t want it so it was given to me (though I really didn’t desire it myself). I’ve built my monk for DEX as a striker/controller and don’t know if the potion will be useful other than grappling.

2. The cleric spell Contagion says the target has to fail 3 saves then the chosen contagion lasts for 7 days. I’m wondering if the target starts taking effects from contagion immediately or do the effects not kick in until 3 fails. For instance, if I cast Slimy Doom does the target have disadvantage on the con saving throws on their turn right away?

3. Since contagion is concentration-free can one cleric apply multiple diseases on one target? Obviously one per turn and all that.

4. Lastly, is it possible to use a spell slot that is higher than the spell even if there is no text specifying rules for casting at a higher level. For instance, can I cast a 5th level spell using a 6th level slot even if there is no benefit from doing so?

Thanks for all the input!

strangebloke
2018-06-26, 08:34 AM
1. Sure! Just because your unarmed strikes can use dexterity doesn't mean they have to. The only reason monks need to use Dexterity is because they need dex for their AC. It isn't like the potion removes your dex score, and your ultra-high strength will destroy targets.

2. Needs to fail all three before anything else happens.

3. Yes. Although since it's a fifth level spell it might take more than one day.

4. Yes. It isn't efficient, but you can do it.

nickl_2000
2018-06-26, 08:42 AM
1) A monk can choose to use strength for their monk weapons and unarmed attacks. You don't necessarily need to use the Dex for monk weapons. So, you drink the potion and for the duration you apply a +9 to your attacks and damage instead of your dex mod. Actually this could be incredibly useful with your ability to attack 4 times in a round (or even more if you were hasted). Also it increases you jump ability and your carrying capacity.

2) They only get the disease after failing 3 saving throws. This one is in the Sage Advice Errata specifically page 14

3) Unless it states otherwise a target can be under the effect of a spell only only once at a time. For example, if two different people hit with Ray of Frost you still only decrease their speed by 10', not by 20. That should apply here as well. (although reading Strangeblokes post, I may be wrong on this one)

4) Yes, you can upcast a spell using a higher spell slot and get no benefit other than the original. I've used this often for my Druid to use up his spell slots at the end of the day to get more goodberries for the crew. I've also seen Shield upcast using a higher spell slot to save a spellcasters butt more than once.

Unoriginal
2018-06-26, 08:54 AM
I’m newer to 5e and have a couple questions.
1. Can a monk make any use of a potion of storm giants strength? To be specific I’ve built a Drunken Master monk and during an AL session the potion was found. The rogue, Druid, and life cleric didn’t want it so it was given to me (though I really didn’t desire it myself). I’ve built my monk for DEX as a striker/controller and don’t know if the potion will be useful other than grappling.

You can use STR for Monk attacks with no problem. Even if you have max DEX, the potion would give you a pretty decent attack boost.

2. The cleric spell Contagion says the target has to fail 3 saves then the chosen contagion lasts for 7 days. I’m wondering if the target starts taking effects from contagion immediately or do the effects not kick in until 3 fails. For instance, if I cast Slimy Doom does the target have disadvantage on the con saving throws on their turn right away?

The 3 saves need to be failed before the effects kicks in.

3. Since contagion is concentration-free can one cleric apply multiple diseases on one target? Obviously one per turn and all that.

If they have the slots.

4. Lastly, is it possible to use a spell slot that is higher than the spell even if there is no text specifying rules for casting at a higher level. For instance, can I cast a 5th level spell using a 6th level slot even if there is no benefit from doing so?

You can, as far as I recall. People don't usually bother, but if you have a spell you need to cast and don't have any appropriate-level spell slots, you can use an higher one.

Darkbru
2018-06-26, 09:23 AM
So there are some conflicting answers on question 3. Not sure if this would be a good question for the RAW thread but I may post that one there.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-06-26, 11:01 AM
So there are some conflicting answers on question 3. Not sure if this would be a good question for the RAW thread but I may post that one there.

PHB 205, Combining Magical Effects:

"The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine."

I'd say that's pretty black and white. If the spell doesn't require concentration, you can have two different targets under the effects, but you can't stack them on the same target.