PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/rogue/bard/cleric goliath Help!!!

Banana3lf
2018-06-26, 01:59 PM
So rolling in a mew charcter per DM's request I rolled a 12 14 14 14 16 18. Trying not to monopolize too much with the 18 to make this build over powered I decided to go Goliath and be brothers with another member of the party who is rolling a new character as a goliath. I am both wondering where to put some of these stats and also how may levels dip should I go into the four classes. I would like to keep the character rounded out and very diverse. Possibly even chaotic evil as this character will not be around until level 20. But the issue still stands as we are starting this character at level 10 do I start with Rogue 1, then bard 3 lore, cleric 1 and finish with warlock 5 for great old one tome/lock And more over what to do from there? Should I go level 4 in cleric or continue with bard?

ciarannihill
2018-06-26, 02:06 PM
I'm curious how you came to the decision of those 4 classes and the subclasses? Feels very haphazard.

You're more likely to feel overpowered if you are capable of doing everything, than if you lean into heavily specializing in one thing IMO. The former might make the others party members lose their moment to shine, while the latter gives you your moments and leaves them theirs.

Just a thought.

Maxilian
2018-06-26, 02:16 PM
What is the concept here? I assume that's what the 4 classes are for? so... what are you trying to make or/and get?

Banana3lf
2018-06-26, 02:22 PM
I'm curious how you came to the decision of those 4 classes and the subclasses? Feels very haphazard.

You're more likely to feel overpowered if you are capable of doing everything, than if you lean into heavily specializing in one thing IMO. The former might make the others party members lose their moment to shine, while the latter gives you your moments and leaves them theirs.

Just a thought.

I suppose it does seem quite random, thank you for pointing that out.
As of right now he is a bonifide skill monkey with proficiency in 14 skills and expertise in 6 of them. The party composition is very meta so before going back in a few months to my original charcter I was thinking of what it would be like to have a lot of cantrips and skills and to see how that could compare to meta gamers sitting next to me. I'm not sure sure if I mentioned I was thinking of doing knowledge cleric for the two expertises. Also looking at feats to see if observant would be a good fit or not.

Maxilian
2018-06-26, 02:46 PM
I suppose it does seem quite random, thank you for pointing that out.
As of right now he is a bonifide skill monkey with proficiency in 14 skills and expertise in 6 of them. The party composition is very meta so before going back in a few months to my original charcter I was thinking of what it would be like to have a lot of cantrips and skills and to see how that could compare to meta gamers sitting next to me. I'm not sure sure if I mentioned I was thinking of doing knowledge cleric for the two expertises. Also looking at feats to see if observant would be a good fit or not.

Then why 5 Warlock? 2 warlock would still give you a good at will damage that scale with your lvl regardless of your MC, maybe up to warlock 3 for the pact or 4 for the ASI (if you really need it), if you go 2 or 3 warlock, then you can push Rogue to 3, and take Scout Rogue so you can get 2 extra expertise (Survival and Nature), pretty sure there was a thread not long ago talking about the best MC combo for skill monkeys.

Banana3lf
2018-06-26, 04:22 PM
Then why 5 Warlock? 2 warlock would still give you a good at will damage that scale with your lvl regardless of your MC, maybe up to warlock 3 for the pact or 4 for the ASI (if you really need it), if you go 2 or 3 warlock, then you can push Rogue to 3, and take Scout Rogue so you can get 2 extra expertise (Survival and Nature), pretty sure there was a thread not long ago talking about the best MC combo for skill monkeys.

Right but is rogue smart even if you have strength increased being a goliath? Would it be better to get three invocations and take disguise self, agonizing blast and book of secrets?

I guess Im going for what (if any) benefit would there be to doing the four classes? Will this add enough weight to the character or will it just detract from the value of staying within the range of the much discussed lore bard/great old one tome-lock?

JellyPooga
2018-06-26, 05:14 PM
If I may, multiclassing four classes is probably overthinking it. You want fo be a skill-mokey, great. Bard or Rogue on its own does that well. What do you hope to gain from Ceric and Warlock? Spellcasting? Bard has that covered, or one of the two if you want Rogue. Is it the Class Features? In that case, you want to be very selective and targeted.

I would suggest picking two Classes, any two of those you suggest, and roll with those. Spreading yourself so thin will only make you subpar in a wide variety of areas.

Banana3lf
2018-06-26, 06:15 PM
So which cantrips would you then take if you are only doing a bard and tome-lock?

CTurbo
2018-06-26, 06:37 PM
I think making a pure "skill monkey" character would ultimately be boring to play.

As mentioned above, trying to be awesome at everything will spread yourself too thin and you'll end up just being mediocre.

What is the rest of your party?

Banana3lf
2018-06-26, 07:54 PM
I think making a pure "skill monkey" character would ultimately be boring to play.

As mentioned above, trying to be awesome at everything will spread yourself too thin and you'll end up just being mediocre.

What is the rest of your party?

I think you are correct that going even the 1 level into a 3rd or 4th class puts you at high risk for being left out of the higher level stuff and therefore less awesome. But is it too far to go into warlock and any other full caster knowing your spell progression is limted from then on, but do the extensive capabilties and 6 cantrips from a 5 lvl dip put you in a position where you could validate it? Having 2 3rd lvl slots on short rest could be nice.

Tiefling fiend chain-lock with feat that give proficiency in persuasion and deception with a 20 in charisma at lvl 7

Gnome wizzard specializing in area effect "god of the battle field" scheming with 20 in intellect at lvl 7

My current character that will be swapped out for a unknown time due to not getting along with the previous two mentioned characters because he killed our ranger/werewolf. Half-orc frenzy barbarian 5/3lvl champion fighter with a 19 strength 18 dex and 18 con. (7 int though ;)) at lvl 8

A tabaxi lore bard 6/rogue 1 20 dex and 20 cha at lvl 7

And fianlly a lvl 7 blind druid with extreme prowess at casting conjure animals and basically doing what druids do best. With a wisdom of 20.

So Im attempting to find the balance between some healing with 1st lvl cleric spells while snagging the cantrips for rp reasons with thamaturgy and taking spare the dying to keep our now some what squishy party alive after my half orc with 112 hitpoints and GWM is out. Balancing that with warlock for the banter of being able to telpathically communicate while being able to use detect thoughts and other spells from lore bard to give good insight into investigations and interrogations as well as disguise self at will at book of secrets for ritual spells. Fighting wise just using booming blade or green flame up close and agonizing blast at distance negates having to put the 16 into dex and I can throw a 14 at that.
Now ofcourse there is always the "do what you feel is most fun" argument. But straying away from that what is useful in all this and what should be throwm away as a bad idea? Is having the cut back on spell progression really an issue with the way this party is laid out? And if not then would it be beneficial to take a lot of cantrips and spells that are lower level to even out whatever we might be missing as a party to acomplish more in a shorter time?
Regardless the idea is to bring in a character for 1 maybe two more level ups to send the party in a direction the dm has not informed me of as of yet. But getting to have access to as much as all this could be getting in the way of not having the 5th lvl slots everyone will have at this level.

Finger6842
2018-07-01, 08:29 PM
So rolling in a mew charcter per DM's request I rolled a 12 14 14 14 16 18. Trying not to monopolize too much with the 18 to make this build over powered I decided to go Goliath and be brothers with another member of the party who is rolling a new character as a goliath. I am both wondering where to put some of these stats and also how may levels dip should I go into the four classes. I would like to keep the character rounded out and very diverse. Possibly even chaotic evil as this character will not be around until level 20. But the issue still stands as we are starting this character at level 10 do I start with Rogue 1, then bard 3 lore, cleric 1 and finish with warlock 5 for great old one tome/lock And more over what to do from there? Should I go level 4 in cleric or continue with bard?

I would avoid that much multiclassing since 14 is not a good stat for a subclass. These are great numbers for a skill monkey, rogue or lore bard and your saves will be killer with jack of all trades.

To achieve your skill monkey goal I would set
STR 12 DEX 18 CON 14 WIS 14 INT 14 CHA 16
add half elf for
STR 13 DEX 18 CON 15 WIS 14 INT 14 CHA 18
which will make every class as a multiclass possible later.
at 4th level you can pick up a feat for warlock eldrich blast or ASI to bump CON. Alternately you can grab a +1 con Feat
and MC into either Paladin or Warlock for 2 levels at level 6 and 7. I waited until 11 and 12 to MC but at 10 I got a headband of intellect so MC'd wizard. It was odd but interesting and totally worth it for find familiar alone. Bards are not really powerful as compared to many other classes but they have actions to take in almost every situation. Avoid the bow if you take this path, it doesn't scale very well though it is nice at low levels. If you take haste with MS cast it on the martial in your party for the greatest return.

I never recommend more than 2 levels of MC for a bard because magical secrets at 18 is too important (if you'll get that far). There is no class that compensates for the loss of level 9 casting of Wish. Of note if you limit the MC to 1 level you will also get another ASI / Feat at 19.

If you go down this path look at the party around you and fill the empty rolls only. Pray there's already a Thief and a Tank, you can fill every other roll very well. You will sneak well also but god help you if you fail that roll.

pdegan2814
2018-07-01, 10:51 PM

My first question when I look at a build like that is "Who IS this character?" But I'm the type of player that thinks there should be a story reason for any new class, not just a mechanical one. And even mechanically, I think you're spreading yourself too thin. You've described 10 levels, but you don't have access to spells above 3rd level(and two different casting stats depending on which spell you use), you've only got 1d6 of Sneak Attack, 3(I think) Invocations, and you'll only have gotten one ASI/Feat. Yes, you're be proficient in a metric boatload of skills, and have Expertise in 4 of them. But you don't need 4 classes to do that. Heck, Rogue/Bard will get you most of that, and it'll be easier to get better use from your Inspiration dice, Cunning Action, more Sneak Attack damage, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, more Expertise, etc.